Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

My truck is in for unrelated service and the tech said they would be performing this same half shaft work. I've had the low speed front axle irritating sound since I got the truck. During previous service visits they brushed it off. I have 20k on the truck now and am a 65xx VIN.
are they performing the half shaft work because you mentioned the noise or they just added it without you saying anything?
Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

are they performing the half shaft work because you mentioned the noise or they just added it without you saying anything?
I did mention the noise, but the tech said they have been doing it regardless. It's not clear to me whether they are doing this for all vehicles, or only a subset based on manufacture date. I can press for more info when I next chat with them.

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
My truck is going in for Service and I just approved the work order. There is a line item to install washers on the half shafts. They just added it w/o me mentioning any noise.

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

I randomly noticed I was missing a center cap on one wheel last month (Replacing it was an overly complicated process but that’s another story).Wonder if this is related? I’m a sub-2500 VIN.
So after reading more responses I decided to go pop off the replaced center cap and check…. There should be a bolt there
Rivian R1T R1S New Rivian customer satisfaction campaign -- halfshaft issue (on 2022 R1S and R1T) image

Last edited:

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I did mention the noise, but the tech said they have been doing it regardless. It's not clear to me whether they are doing this for all vehicles, or only a subset based on manufacture date. I can press for more info when I next chat with them.
Don’t have the tock but during service in February they did work on them. I think it was lube

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I had half shafts replaced something like 6 months ago....and unfortunately it seems the tock is returning. Thunking never went away, but now on/off throttle results in the clink/clunks.

Makes me concerned this is going to keep repeating every 8k miles or so.

Or who knows...maybe it is because it is warmer out and not mileage...

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
[/QUOTE]
I had half shafts replaced something like 6 months ago....and unfortunately it seems the tock is returning. Thunking never went away, but now on/off throttle results in the clink/clunks.

Makes me concerned this is going to keep repeating every 8k miles or so.

Or who knows...maybe it is because it is warmer out and not mileage...
When it was cold it definitely was less noticeable…and after same procedure and warmer weather, the feeling in the front shafts has returned. Hoping they can do this new “fix” for me when going in for a rotation in a month or so.

All_electric_Seattle

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, R1T
Occupation
Construction
Seems like this happened to me yesterday. A loud clunk from the rear and then a grinding noise. Pulled over and Rivian had it towed to service center. On an ice vehicle I'd be looking at a new transmission by the sounds the truck was making...

Deleted member 7086

My R1T has been “repaired” twice for this. The first repair involved the front half shaft/splines. The usual clean, repack the lube and tighten the bolts. By the time I drove home it was worse than before the repair. The second repair was to both front and rear half shaft/splines. Same repair clean, repack the lube, tighten the bolts. As the second repair was in the late fall and temperatures were falling substantially I anticipated the gear lash would be less during the winter months with the lube thickening and the tolerances of the metal changing. I was correct. The noise and slack were less. However now that temperatures have risen it is all back. My truck is scheduled for a third repair attempt with the new and hopefully improved method (adding spacers) in the near future. I am not holding my breath. While not an automotive engineer it is my belief this is due to a design error and the question is - how do you economically fix the number of vehicles on the road?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Winter = Vampire drain complaints.
Summer = Tock/Half Shafts complaints.
Fall/Spring = HVAC complaints.

A vehicle for all seasons 😁

Sponsored

All_electric_Seattle

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, R1T
Occupation
Construction
Just got this from service center
the issue that you experienced was due to the rear half shaft unit coming out of the disconnect unit which has caused some fluid to leak out of the Drive Unit, which is resulting in the Drive Unit needing to be replaced due to the damage that it has that has occurred in the process. We were also doing a campaign that relates to checking the fluid of the other Drive Unit on the vehicle in which we found that your fluid is below specification. So we are going to be replacing both the front and the rear

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

I already had this issue manifest but it definitely had an effect on drivability. My rear half shaft popped out of the motor disconnect and started making loud grinding noises, went into turtle mode. Truck had to get towed to Rivian and they replaced the half shafts (with new torque) and motor disconnect for both sides in the rear.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
My R1T (6XXX VIN) has had the tok on acceleration and declaration since around 3000 miles.

Service Apt #1 -> The normal lube which improved it, but didn't eliminate it
Mobile Service -> Said the noise was abnormal
Service Apt #2 -> Claimed "within spec"
Service Apt #3 -> Did the Half shaft service bulletin.

Most of the service appointments were to fix other stuff as well, and those mostly went well. But, the tok is just going to follow me all the way to a Made in Germany car as I desperately run away from the tok.

In all seriousness the third appointment did the most to reduce it. It's still there and seems to mostly come from the rear. I can probably live with it without noticing it too much.

I don't think I'm going to schedule any follow up appointments unless its secondary to a more major issue.

With all the fixes the vehicle feels much tighter, and pleasant than it ever has. It's not perfect and certainty isn't up to German standards, but its decent.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This was from the Colorado Rivian Club Facebook page. Apparently this is a "FSAM-407" fix that you can reference.

Rivian R1T R1S New Rivian customer satisfaction campaign -- halfshaft issue (on 2022 R1S and R1T) 1682519731898

Rivian R1T R1S New Rivian customer satisfaction campaign -- halfshaft issue (on 2022 R1S and R1T) 1682519891804

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

This was from the Colorado Rivian Club Facebook page. Apparently this is a "FSAM-407" fix that you can reference.

1682519731898.png

1682519891804.png
I’m having mobile service this morning for the missing bolt, and the technician mentioned this fix to me as well.
Sponsored