Sponsored

Did I read this right? Pre-orders to begin near Thanksgiving?

ajbrutman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, GTI
Clubs

Here's a new twist on a delivery-priority factor that I'd like to see. How about the age of the buyer...oldest gets it first, then move on down the age scale!! :clap: We're too old to wait much longer!! We could die before we get ours.? The youngsters can afford to wait a little longer...we can't! Age before beauty. :CWL:
Well you just screwed me?
Sponsored

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Titan/2005 Honda Accord/2017 Zero DSR
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
I think geographically CA being at or near the top of the list is a no brainer...selfishly I am hoping the DMV has enough orders to be in the top 5 locations. We definitely aren’t a Mecca of outdoorsy types. Clearly large population centers will play a part for shipping efficiency
I wonder if the Rivian Adventure Network map is a good indicator of delivery priority. Areas that have a dense cluster of chargers may be top priority

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I wonder if the Rivian Adventure Network map is a good indicator of delivery priority. Areas that have a dense cluster of chargers may be top priority
I doubt it. RAN is as much about getting charger where there aren’t any as it is about coverage for densely populated areas.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I wouldn't think so. You don't need DCFC where you live... you need it along the route to get to where you want to go. And the L2 chargers for RAN are at "destinations". So the RAN is a better indicator of where Rivian thinks people will want to go, rather than where they may live, imo.

I'd also like to believe that Rivian put a lot of thought into their network and may be building up under-served areas more heavily than areas with a ton of options, already.

Megachimp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 50th Anniversary, Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Video Game Developer
I wouldn’t think so either, but perhaps the locations of their showrooms are a good indication. I would expect Rivian to want their vehicles driving around the streets of the city where they have showrooms.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot

You could interpret this statement to support this thesis.

Where you take delivery

To provide the best ownership experience, our delivery schedule is synced with the growing coverage of our Rivian Service Centers, Mobile Service fleet and available charging infrastructure. Now is a good time to update your address in your Rivian Account.

I sure hope this is not the case as it will move me down the list, and I agree that the RAN should focus where infrastructure is lacking in general. I dont expect to charge away from home very often so don't move me down the list because of charging infrastructure.

I get production scheduling, and even service tiering affecting delivery timing, but charging infrastructure? I hope not.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I sure hope this is not the case as it will move me down the list, and I agree that the RAN should focus where infrastructure is lacking in general. I dont expect to charge away from home very often so don't move me down the list because of charging infrastructure.

I get production scheduling, and even service tiering affecting delivery timing, but charging infrastructure? I hope not.
Huh?
You list Milwaukee in your profile:
Rivian R1T R1S Did I read this right?  Pre-orders to begin near Thanksgiving? 1620054646255

Not sure why you think there is no charging infrastructure available.

Service availability is going to be the primary factor for early deliveries.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Huh?
You list Milwaukee in your profile:
1620054646255.png

Not sure why you think there is no charging infrastructure available.

Service availability is going to be the primary factor for early deliveries.
Here is that plugshare map filtered for Rivian compatible plugs that are 50 kW or higher.

I agree, I have more than enough infrastructure for my needs but I also read all the posts on this forum and I understand that my "refueling" experience is not going to be the same as an ICE vehicle. Will most new EV owners understand that?
Where is Rivian drawing that line?

My point really was I was surprised to see this in the statement, and available charging infrastructure.

Why would they prioritize deliveries based on this? If so is it going to weight the major metros that much more?

I am hoping they lump me into the "Chicagoland" area. Which I am fine with other than notable exception of the Cubs and the Bears ;). 90 miles from downtown Chicago...

Rivian R1T R1S Did I read this right?  Pre-orders to begin near Thanksgiving? Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 11.04.30 AM

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I wouldn't think so. You don't need DCFC where you live... you need it along the route to get to where you want to go. And the L2 chargers for RAN are at "destinations". So the RAN is a better indicator of where Rivian thinks people will want to go, rather than where they may live, imo.

I'd also like to believe that Rivian put a lot of thought into their network and may be building up under-served areas more heavily than areas with a ton of options, already.
I initially was thinking what you were thinking, that they were adding in places with little or no charging currently.

As I reviewed the map for Central and Southern CA, I see the RAN with a lot of locations for this region. There is already a lot of charging locations in these areas, so I am not really sure how they mapped out where they were focusing on the RAN.

That being said, we do not know the actual addresses for each of these so it could be filling gaps. It does seem odd though as they seem to be clustered mostly around high population areas which could add some substance to what @Kenshaka said.

Rivian R1T R1S Did I read this right?  Pre-orders to begin near Thanksgiving? 1620058525597

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
You would think the density of the buyer's locations would be a factor. So if 5000 buyers are from California, and 5 buyers are from Maine, and 1000 buyers are from Maryland, they would sprinkle that into their plans.

Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Wait a minute! What happened to "first come first served"? All along the past 2 years and 6 months I've been waiting, I was finally told that it would be June 2021. Now it seems they're changing the rules again.
I am willing to pick up my Rivian at the factory in that case. Why has nobody from Rivian mentioned their production numbers and if they are going to build up a stockpile before June so that most early (2018) adopters can be first like they promised?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Why has nobody from Rivian mentioned their production numbers and if they are going to build up a stockpile before June so that most early (2018) adopters can be first like they promised?
I get your frustration, for sure. But I don't think they ever promised the order in which deliveries would occur.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I initially was thinking what you were thinking, that they were adding in places with little or no charging currently.

As I reviewed the map for Central and Southern CA, I see the RAN with a lot of locations for this region. There is already a lot of charging locations in these areas, so I am not really sure how they mapped out where they were focusing on the RAN.

That being said, we do not know the actual addresses for each of these so it could be filling gaps. It does seem odd though as they seem to be clustered mostly around high population areas which could add some substance to what @Kenshaka said.

1620058525597.png
California has more infrastructure than most other areas, but they also have more people and especially a higher EV adoption rate... So it's not as simple as the raw number of charging locations, but rather a more nuanced "is there enough infrastructure for the demand".

California also fits double-duty where there are a lot of prospective Rivian owners living there and there are also a lot of "destination" where prospective Rivian owners will want to visit.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Why has nobody from Rivian mentioned their production numbers and if they are going to build up a stockpile before June so that most early (2018) adopters can be first like they promised?
Not sure what purpose delaying deliveries in order to stockpile finished vehicles would serve.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
So, what are your thoughts then on deliveries for non-LE and non-Forest Green (likely black or Rivian blue) in the Houston area? Deposit was only March 2021. I am ready for the bad news. Y'all think 2023?
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your preorder. I would not plan on delivery before the first half of 2022 but I also don't think Q3 or Q4 2022 is out of the question. I don't think color or location will make a difference by the time your order is ready for production. it's a ways out and tons of variables to consider so 2023 also wouldn't be shocking. After Rivian goes public and we can peak behind the secret curtain we should be able to get a better idea. The good news for you is long range R1S and removeable roof will likely be available. Another positive is that early production glitches will have had time to be identified and corrected.
Sponsored