Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
And so do the R1 vehicles...
It’s not exactly easy to find or access since it requires removing panels to access it, so in a mall parking lot you’re probably OK. But it’s not totally secure. Here’s the model 3 access instructions.
Rivian R1T R1S A look at Rivian key fob - carabiner shape and colors 1619910777201

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It’s not exactly easy to find or access since it requires removing panels to access it, so in a mall parking lot you’re probably OK. But it’s not totally secure. Here’s the model 3 access instructions.
1619910777201.jpeg
I never leave anything of value in a vehicle. Locks really only slow people down, if they want to get in they will.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Thieves can cut off a catalytic converter in a very short period of time. :(

Question: Isn't this mostly to get at the "cut here in case of fire" thingy?

Sponsored

Mark K

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Volt
Occupation
Retired
Thieves can cut off a catalytic converter in a very short period of time. :(
I have been led to believe that electric motors don't have emissions. What does the theft of a catalytic converter have to do with Rivian?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have been led to believe that electric motors don't have emissions. What does the theft of a catalytic converter have to do with Rivian?
I think they're pointing out that security is mostly theater or an illusion.

You'll never achieve true security. Just don't flaunt your valuables and make your home/vehicle look a little more difficult to mess with than the other ones in the area.

If a theft is targeted, then they're getting what they want, no matter what you do. Thankfully, most thefts are primarily based in opportunity, so just don't be an easy target.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
It was meant to somewhat counter act the statement about being 'safe' in a mall parking lot. Once 2 thieves learn the model 3 'trick', they will have that frunk open in seconds and have it empty in a few more.
I am really hoping Rivian has a better way to allow firefighters access to the cut-off point they need. And it allows the frunk to remain secured.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It was meant to somewhat counter act the statement about being 'safe' in a mall parking lot. Once 2 thieves learn the model 3 'trick', they will have that frunk open in seconds and have it empty in a few more.
I am really hoping Rivian has a better way to allow firefighters access to the cut-off point they need. And it allows the frunk to remain secured.
Seems like they could have a loop that disconnects the high voltage system from the outside, without having to allow any access inside the frunk. It could be similar to the service disconnect that exists near every residential a/c condenser.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
"Alexa, I'm a first responder!"

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Everything I have seen said that it was waterproof. Let me do some researching and I will edit this post.
I think someone just posted info from a recent conversation with CS in which they stated the fob was waterproof to a depth of no more than one meter for up to 30 minutes. For the life of me, I can't find that reference, even using the "Search" feature.

Whatever the fob's diving ability, I hope never to test it. I know that even in a two-foot deep creek in the Colorado Rockies, Jaws is waiting for me. Thanks a lot, Spielberg!

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

A Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE) module with a rechargeable battery in it could solve the problem very easily. Could run for years with no 12 volt needed. Some vulnerability during initial pairing but once that is done it’s very secure.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
A Bluetooth Low Energy(BLE) module with a rechargeable battery in it could solve the problem very easily. Could run for years with no 12 volt needed. Some vulnerability during initial pairing but once that is done it’s very secure.
The 12V is in reference to the car battery, not the fob battery. With no 12V power, electronic door locks do not function.
Fob batteries are usually 3V CR2032.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Although, I'd be weary of that waterproof rating. My watch was supposed to be more waterproof than that (IP68), and I took it river tubing. It got water damage. As it turns out, IP testing is done with static pressure, and dynamic pressure (such as any real world use) can be greater than the stated rating.

All this to say, I probably wouldn't take it along surfing, but if it rains it's probably ok.
Sponsored