Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I am certain that if the key fob was half the size, another group of people (likely containing at least one or two of the folks now complaining that it is too large) would be questioning what in the world Rivian was thinking by letting such a puny fob see the light of day. In the past I will admit I've got bent out of shape about fairly minor decisions that manufacturer's have made in regards to a car I was interested in, but I never thought I'd see such a reaction to a key fob.
The extreme reaction is only because new information is (very) slowly dripping from the Rivian faucet. When a more substantial TURD drops the fob hullabaloo will die.
Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
so you would prefer a large object in your pocket 18 hours a day vs a smaller one?

Sure if function is an issue, but what rivian cooked up was way more style over function. It’s half the size of my phone which is 10x the computer in terms of utility which was 20 times bigger from 10 years ago...

seems like a wild decision on rivians part. Hope it’s optional.

Its funny Im the opposite, to hell with shrinking things, function over form any day! Give me a phone with a 6,000mah battery that has 24 hours of hard use screen time! A nice phone is small but useless if it dies in 3 hours of screen on time, same with these vehicles ;).

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Maybe a better question, does any car have a larger fob? Lol.

so you would prefer a large object in your pocket 18 hours a day vs a smaller one?

Sure if function is an issue, but what rivian cooked up was way more style over function. It’s half the size of my phone which is 10x the computer in terms of utility which was 20 times bigger from 10 years ago...

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Its not the main use of access into the car, the point of the FOB was to use it while you are doing "outdoorsy" stuff and cant take your phone or a card that can get wet. Really its just a adventure key similar to land rovers watch except more rugged.

Likewise you rather have a dead small object in your pocket that could die in a few hours and then with no use all day long rather than something you know that will last the day when you are out and about?

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Is that a FOB in your pocket or are you just happy to see me... ?
OK I gotta ask... why the hell is everyone all-capsing fob? It's a common noun and not an acronym or initialism. Just fob is fine unless you're talking about commercial law.

I feel (slightly) better now ?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Its not the main use of access into the car, the point of the FOB was to use it while you are doing "outdoorsy" stuff and cant take your phone or a card that can get wet. Really its just a adventure key similar to land rovers watch except more rugged.
If that’s the case, then why have buttons on it? The Volvo Sport FOB is a better design for something that is meant to get wet and be used in “outdoorsy” activity. I want SMALL in that case — not bulky.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Maybe a better question, does any car have a larger fob? Lol.
I am not sure if you saw my post earlier, but I received confirmation from CS that the fob is roughly the size of the NON-PRO Apple AirPods plus the carabiner top. I am pretty sure that Ford and BMW have as big a keyfob as Rivian has with their carabiner...

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
my much smaller 2009 Nissan fob has not died. Haha. I cannot under stand anyone wanting that thing in their pocket for 10 years. It has four buttons. Lol.

Have done a tiny bit of semi/chip work so 90% of that object is UI. Just a bummer. Why?

Likewise you rather have a dead small object in your pocket that could die in a few hours and then with no use all day long rather than something you know that will last the day when you are out and about?

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
The phrase key FOB originally stood for "Key Full of Buttons". 'bout 30 years ago or so when they became popular.
While this is a fun backronym, "key fob" predates electronic keys; "fob" has been used to describe something similar for several hundred years, and has been used with car keys as long as car keys have existed. The buttons are incidental.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Just had to look up fob/FOB meanings.
Since I'm a vet my mind went with Forward Operating Base
But I also found Free On Board, Fresh Off Boat, F**K Off BI**h.
Looks like fob was used to describe accoutrements attached to a pocket watch, or possible the watch itself then was picked up by the automotive industry very early.
Thanks @kylealden now I'll never miss this as a Jeopardy! answer.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Just had to look up fob/FOB meanings.
Since I'm a vet my mind went with Forward Operating Base
But I also found Free On Board, Fresh Off Boat, F**K Off BI**h.
Looks like fob was used to describe accoutrements attached to a pocket watch, or possible the watch itself then was picked up by the automotive industry very early.
Thanks @kylealden now I'll never miss this as a Jeopardy! answer.
I have to admit, my friends have called me “FOB” for years. In my case, it stands for “Full Of Bull$#it”. I don’t think Alex would have appreciated that answer....

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
So is anyone else planning a road trip as soon as your Rivian gets delivered to test it... Im looking at places 500 mi away from me
... ? never been to Cuba...

Rivian R1T R1S Official: Rivian Experience – Purchasing, Return Policy & Charging SmartSelect_20210428-142603_Chrome
Sponsored