Sponsored

Kneel mode bad for our Rivians over time?

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Think it’s bad over time to keep using kneel mode on our Rivians? I worry it will wear out the air suspension going up and down so often. This is my first car with air suspension, so just not sure. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Think it’s bad over time to keep using kneel mode on our Rivians? I worry it will wear out the air suspension going up and down so often. This is my first car with air suspension, so just not sure. Thoughts?
I tend to worry about these things as well. Jeep Grand Cherokee or any top end Land Rovers have had issues with air suspension at some point, based on their user forum posts (usual negative bias notwithstanding). Hopping Rivian is better at air suspension than they are with tonneau design.

OP
OP

Ioman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I was thinking about Land Rover, too. I know several people that have had issues with their air suspension. Worries me as well.

TucsonST

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch Edition, 2020 Acura RDX Advance
Occupation
Engineer
I plan to keep using kneel on a daily basis. My theory is that regular usage may help wring out latent defects, and I'd rather have that happen while still under warranty. I may decide to use it less as end of warranty approaches. Plus, my shorter passengers appreciate it. It's a great feature; why miss out on it?

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I think there's a misconception that causes this concern (which has come up many times before, search the forums). The air suspension is constantly adjusting, no matter what you do. Just watch your hood whenever you pull up to a stop light.

Using kneel mode just adds a few more adjustments in. But a short drive will probably cause as much movement in the air suspension as a single kneel.

Unless your truck is a piece of art parked in the garage, just use it. The air suspension will either hold up or it won't, but you aren't going to make a meaningful change in the wear of the system by disabling kneel mode.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
You more you cycle or exercise any moving part, the quicker the wear and ultimate failure. I opted for running boards instead.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Using kneel mode isn't likely to cause problems as the compressor duty cycle required for that is low. Problems typically arise from air leaks which over time can result in the compressor running at a much higher duty cycle than it should (near continuous) which can burn out the compressor. Leaks can develop over time either from poor assembly, damage, etc regardless of usage.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
You more you cycle or exercise any moving part, the quicker the wear and ultimate failure. I opted for running boards instead.
Kneel mode or other manual suspension adjustments only add a very small number of daily cycles (probably dozens or less) relative to the many millions that result from daily driving. The added wear from the suspension motion is negligible.

SpaceCase

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3P, Model Y, Jeep YJ
Occupation
Specialty Electrical Supply
I think there's a misconception that causes this concern (which has come up many times before, search the forums). The air suspension is constantly adjusting, no matter what you do. Just watch your hood whenever you pull up to a stop light.

Using kneel mode just adds a few more adjustments in. But a short drive will probably cause as much movement in the air suspension as a single kneel.

Unless your truck is a piece of art parked in the garage, just use it. The air suspension will either hold up or it won't, but you aren't going to make a meaningful change in the wear of the system by disabling kneel mode.
Agreed. By driving the vehicle you are already using the air suspension. There may be an arguable debate wether purging the air and refilling puts a different wear on the system but we should all be using the truck as it is meant to in order to get the most out of it.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Kneel mode or other manual suspension adjustments only add a very small number of daily cycles (probably dozens or less) relative to the many millions that result from daily driving. The added wear from the suspension motion is negligible.
Don’t forget that weak compressor with small tank; mine is constantly cycling with every suspension selection change. It’s also reported here that Rivian replaced that weak system with a more robust larger one, sometime in late February. And yes, I had my system checked out by Rivian, and no leaks.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Don’t forget that weak compressor with small tank; mine is constantly cycling with every suspension selection change. It’s also reported here that Rivian replaced that weak system with a more robust larger one, sometime in late February. And yes, I had my system checked out by Rivian, and no leaks.
You must be driving with suspension in auto, try using it without auto. I set the height I want and hear the pump when I first start out but rarely after that.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Practical.....so adventurous.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
This is more my concern than the actual suspension having an issue. I turned kneel off just because I didn’t feel like hearing the compressor run and having the truck always raising/lowering around town. It takes a long time to fill to All-Purpose out of Kneel mode and it just seems excessive.

I’ll say the compressors in all of my air suspension Tesla’s I’ve had were much quieter and more seamless operating. As well as other air suspension vehicles I’ve had.

I dunno, maybe I’m overthinking it, but it just seems like the compressor runs too much when I use Kneel.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Just because they didn’t find a leak doesn’t mean there isn’t one. My compressor doesn’t run much at all so there is probably something going on.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Weak compressor and small tank? Ok sure. It doesn't matter how big the tank, every time you release air, the compressor is going to run to fill it back up to its target pressure. A "weak compressor" may have to run longer to fill the tank back up but there should be thermal cutoffs protecting from damage (which I seem to recall customers or media experiencing after making a bunch of back to back ride height changes).

As for the rumors, I'll believe the upgraded compressor/tank rumors when they are substantiated.
Sponsored