Sponsored

Any Chance for Normal Door Handles and Proximity Keys?

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Currently own the Lightning and I have the same issues with PAAK. It works about 98% of the time. But during the 2% of the time I just punch in my code on the door keypad and it unlocks. I wish Rivian had a keypad. It would eliminate the need for that silly wrist band and make people more confident about carrying only their phone with them and not needing "back ups". Maybe someone can make an aftermarket stick -on keypad? Wishful thinking I guess.
I often had to use the keypad on the Mach E but have not missed it at all with the Rivian. Unlike several other posters my PAAK performance has not decreased with recent updates (iPhone). I carry the keycard in my wallet but have never used it unless letting someone else take the truck. I have a wristband and it stays at home unless I have a very specific need where I might not have my phone. The band is, by far, the absolute worst and buggiest of the key options.
Sponsored

joelster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have not used PAAK for months though I may turn it on after this current update arrives. I just use the key fob. Press a button to unlock, press a button to lock. Works. Just like my old Mini Cooper or my wife's old X5. No biggie. A lot of energy spent on these forums kvetching about this kind of stuff.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I Range Rovers have the best integration of flush handles. They are flush when closed and work like regular handles when unlocked.
this is the same as Rivian.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I often had to use the keypad on the Mach E but have not missed it at all with the Rivian. Unlike several other posters my PAAK performance has not decreased with recent updates (iPhone). I carry the keycard in my wallet but have never used it unless letting someone else take the truck. I have a wristband and it stays at home unless I have a very specific need where I might not have my phone. The band is, by far, the absolute worst and buggiest of the key options.
The band is meant for activities when you won't bring a phone or wallet. Like surfing, any watersport etc. The keypad would eliminate any value to the wristband. So for me when I do eventually receive my Rivian I will not be looking forward to that wristband when I go surfing. I will surely miss my keypad...

Sponsored

Charged

First Name
Mal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, Rivian R1T
Clubs

My main concern with the Rivian handles this winter arose as an unexpected result of turning off PAAK auto-locking at home. I park the truck outside without cover, and have now twice accidentally left the doors unlocked overnight and in the morning found that snow had wedged behind the handles and turned to ice, preventing the handles from closing.

On the plus side, when I washed the truck recently I appreciated the ease of washing around the handles compared to my Jeep GC.

It usually takes me ages to identify the quirks and shortcomings of a vehicle, and then more time to find remedies for fixable quirks and to achieve resigned acceptance of the remaining issues. In contrast, I have been identifying and addressing my R1T's quirks very rapidly, thanks to this forum's wisdom and generosity. Nevertheless, I am relieved that I don't follow a forum advocating similarly-elevated standards for addressing shortcomings of my home!

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
The band is meant for activities when you won't bring a phone or wallet. Like surfing, any watersport etc. The keypad would eliminate any value to the wristband. So for me when I do eventually receive my Rivian I will not be looking forward to that wristband when I go surfing. I will surely miss my keypad...
Yes…The one use I have actually had for the wristband was when competing in my race car last summer. Nowhere for my phone in the racesuit :cool:

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
I don't use PAAK, I only use the key fob. Works exactly as every other car i have ever had with the exception of when i push the unlock button the handles pop out. It really feels no different. PAAK works find for me too, i just prefer the fob.
Not quite. It often takes 10-20 seconds. On my other cars it's a fraction of a second.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
Unlock has worked reliably for me. Locking is frustrating. It doesn't lock till I am Atleast 20 feet away. That's too far.

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

this is the same as Rivian.
So based on my interaction with RR Evoque and Velar, they are easier to operate, more ergonomic, and has a more natural hand motion to open. Sure RR and Rivian both have the handles deploy and retract flush but RR has a better and more fluid operation to use daily.

Sponsored

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I came from a Tesla which I didn't mind the phone based proximity locking and unlocking. I think it was because it worked fairly well.

With my Rivian the proximity locking and unlocking has been problematic. In recent SW updates it's been a lot less annoying. What is annoying is needing to have home turned off to avoid it unlocking/locking while I'm at home.

Yesterday I installed the update to use the FOB for the proximity locking/unlocking so I'll see how well this does. For this one I have home enabled.

I will say that I prefer the way my Jeep Wrangler works where there is just a button for locking. For unlocking it does it pretty much automatically when you grab the handle.

I don't think I'd ever avoid a vehicle due to locking/unlocking annoyances. On my sprinter van I have to unlock and lock it using a fob. Yeah, its that horrendous. :p
You have a key fob for your van?? I have a have a 2018 Chevy Colorado for work where you have to stick the key in the door to unlock, and I Ford F250 that the only power thing it has is a power steering. So all day long I wish I had my finicky passive entry Rivian than my work trucks. But yes the simple systems that cars like the Jeep has are the more reliable systems.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
I have zero issues with my fob or phone key. I never use the cards. The addition of proximity fob feature being added will be nice too. I'm not trying to minimize issues or say they don't exist at all it feels like if one person has an issue it gets amplified to become a massive problem that is consuming all owners. My truck has been majority free of problems for almost 10,000 miles now.
Same! That said, it’s a good idea to test the cards (at least 1x) to make sure they function as intended (as a backup). I read somewhere that someone’s keycard was inoperable which would be a bummer if you were relying on it as a backup and needed it…

jbronkoR1T

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Occupation
Music&Tech
My experience disagrees; PAAK has become increasingly less reliable for me. I frequently find myself standing next to my truck feeling like a moron while I fiddle around in the app trying to get the door to unlock.

Maybe phone type matters? Who knows. I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max.
yeah I haven't had the best luck with the phone either. I don't have it set to proximity b/c I'd rather affirmatively lock and unlock it. but I think starting tomorrow I'm going to mostly use the fob. I always keep a card in my wallet too and I guess I'll continue to do that. So I'll have triple redundancy lol.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Unlock has worked reliably for me. Locking is frustrating. It doesn't lock till I am Atleast 20 feet away. That's too far.
That’s the compromise to not have it unlock and lock all the time when you are near the truck. Not sure why 20 feet is an issue.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
PAAK is terrible for me. So far the proximity key is better. It would be nice if I could disable PAAK at home but still enable the proximity feature of the fob at home. The current situation makes the proximity key much less useful.
Sponsored