Sponsored

Thoughts on seeing a Rivian in person for the first time....

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I am going to try to put into words my thoughts on seeing the Rivian in the Metal for the first time. While it was very exciting for me it was also very tough because while I wanted to ask many questions and quiet frankly some difficult questions I believe this event was not meant for pre-order holders. This was really an event for lawmakers. There were two Rivian employees at the event but there were at least 5-6 Rivian hired lobbyists trying to talk to lawmakers. The two Rivian employees were an engineer and marketing director. Both seemed very busy with conference calls while the lobbyists did the schmoozing with the lawmakers. I was clearly a third wheel but when they had time they answered my basic questions.

On that note I didn't ask many of the questions I would have if it had been a more customer focused event. Yes - I noticed the crooked charging door but I didn't bring it up... not the right time... I also noticed the horribly saggy door mesh pockets (no pictures) because no interior pictures allowed. Those door pockets do not belong in an $80k car.... I don't think they belong in a 40k car.

Things I "think" I learned....

The door handles are always presented when the doors are unlocked....
unlocked = presented
locked = sucked in
It's that simple. What I didn't get answered... when do the doors automatically lock and is that programmable? My guess is probably. some systems lock when you put the car in drive and others once you hit a certain speed. I didn't ask this question today. However, I know we have all seen video of the R1T on highway at "speed" with the handles out... this leads me to believe it is completely programmable...

Where exactly are the 10 camera's - (my thoughts in Parens)
Front Lower Grill
Front Top Windshield
Sides - Rear Facing behind both Front Tires
Sides - 2 in each mirror - Forward and side facing
Back - in the middle of the 3rd brake light rail (bed security)
Back - above the license plate. (hitch camera/backup camera)

Do the camera's work when off road to show you terrain around the vehicle. I was told yes this is still a feature. Aside from some early video that showed this in a simulator they haven't publicized this as a feature as far as I know... It was one my burning questions.

The size of the R1T is really exactly what I imagined but the bed seems quite a bit longer when opened and shorter when closed. That hinge system creates several extra inches more than what you'd expect an open tailgate to provide.

Interior - It's still a freaking state secret.... They just don't have it locked down enough to trust pictures in the wild... and I know that drives everyone crazy. While I was invited to look I was not allowed to sit in the car nor touch anything in the interior. I did not take a hard look at the interior for this reason... it just felt awkward... (see my first paragraph about the reason for this event)

This particular R1T has the Max Pack in it and is headed to Big Bend for a photo shoot and then back to LA over the next several days. I confirmed it was built on the regular assembly line in Normal although they couldn't (or wouldn't) tell me when. So not sure if it was early build or later... my personal guess is early... also no state sticker on the window but that could be to prevent lawmakers from making remarks about why this state and not Texas... who knows I guess.

I found it interesting that they chose to drive a Max Pack across the country.... Read into that what you will... but Texas is a very big state.

They stated as a matter of fact that there is indeed a regular 12 volt battery under a panel in the frunk area and it can be reached without tools.

Speaking of frunk... They had a false floor in the frunk to make it more shallow for ease of loading and unloading stuff..... Of course you give up space for this but the false floor can be removed for more space when needed. Didn't think to ask if this is going to a standard feature or optional add on. It would be nice to store less frequently needed items under that false floor.

I took another look at the 12 volt plug in the frunk and I'm a little concerned about hood clearance when using it with long or odd shaped plugs. They did say no pictures because it was a candidate for a change.

Overall fit an finish - I just don't think I spent enough time with it to give a complete assessment. yes the charging port door was bad... I couldn't help thinking what a few alignment pins would do for making that thing look straight. My short answer to this question for now.... It's not a Lexus. But then again I have never seen a pre-production Lexus.

Finally I asked about rock rails and winch options. I got the standard things are in development answer but that the truck would come winch ready.

I know a question came up about insulated glass but I had already left and did not ask that question. I think that's a question best confirmed with a test drive anyway.

I think that's it for now... let me know if something needs clarification.
Sponsored

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Great job. Really enjoyed the pics from the other thread.

As my brother lives in Austin, I’ve been to that area more than a few times. Good luck with the traffic!

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Could people at the next city please start asking why TF we haven't seen one in Chicago yet? I mean, it's not like we're 5 states away from the factory or anything.

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Hey Alan,
Sincere thank you for sharing your pictures, videos and thoughts.
I am curious about what you thought of the silver paint color in person. What color were you leaning towards prior to today and any change in your thinking after seeing an actual R1T?
Hi John, I might be the wrong person to ask about Silver.... For a Silver truck it looked fine but it just happens that Silver is one of my least favorite colors. (and I have no idea why).... I will say that the paint looked good to my eye... (as a teenager many many years ago I detailed cars as a porter at a local Ford dealership). This was back when detailing new cars was taken very seriously... at least at my dealership I should say... I did not scour over this car looking for blemishes but none jumped out at me either and I have that curse of noticing paint issues from my days as a porter. My only concerns were more around fit and finish of the cladding and that dang charging port door.

If you like Silver cars then the Silver Rivian is going to be great for you. I currently have the R1S configured with El Capitan Granite I am also considering Rivian Blue. I have to see both in person before I lock in my order.

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Could people at the next city please start asking why TF we haven't seen one in Chicago yet? I mean, it's not like we're 5 states away from the factory or anything.
One of the items the Marketing guy and I discussed was starting actual customer events back up again. He made it sound like they have several customer events planned that may be announced very soon in cities across America where you will be invited to schedule a block of time to see and actually test drive the R1T or R1S. I didn't bring it up in my notes because it felt a little too vague and more of the "Stay Tuned" message we've been getting for many months.

The one very interesting tidbit that he shared that I really feel compelled to mention now. They intend to send people on test drives by themselves... no employee in the truck with you. Instead they will have you connected to a support person on the ride so that you can ask questions and they will talk you through everything over the air. I found that interesting. This doesn't have much specifically to do with Chicago per se but he did mention they intend to host this event in major cities across the country. I apologize in advance that the details are sparse and for anything that ends with Stay Tuned!

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Will how we test drive it factor into our insurance rates? ?

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Will how we test drive it factor into our insurance rates? ?
Probably..... I'm pretty sure my insurance rates went up just looking at the dang thing today. :oops:

Sponsored

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
bajadahl is the member of the month for sure. Thanks for sharing all this great info!
I'd like to thank the Academy..... :) lol - Thanks - I was just really happy to get the opportunity to see it in person since I just missed the last time it was in Austin during Fully Charged Live back in Feb 2020. Hopefully there will be a lot more in person events where all of us get a chance to add to the conversation with real world in person experience with Rivian!

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I'd like to thank the Academy..... :) lol - Thanks - I was just really happy to get the opportunity to see it in person since I just missed the last time it was in Austin during Fully Charged Live back in Feb 2020. Hopefully there will be a lot more in person events where all of us get a chance to add to the conversation with real world in person experience with Rivian!
The size of the R1T is really exactly what I imagined but the bed seems quite a bit longer when opened and shorter when closed. That hinge system creates several extra inches more than what you'd expect an open tailgate to provide.

Alan, so size-wise, closer to a Honda Ridgeline than an F-150?

On the bed/hinge system. This is what Rivian CS sent me back in December. "The 180-degree tailgate introduced substantial cost and complexity that we didn't feel created enough customer value. In the absence of that feature, we developed a gooseneck hinge system that slides out as the tailgate lowers, extending the bed floor to 84 inches with the tailgate down. This helped us to create a sturdier tailgate which allows for additional usable bed space!"

Thanks for the time you put into sharing your experience!

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
@bajadahl,

Thanks for the pics and the synopsis. Good write up and good info!

-Keith
Sponsored