Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The blue they used for the robots is Rivian Blue. RJ mentioned that during an early tour video.
True... but I was trying to point out the quantity, not the color. The blue color just makes them easier to spot in the background. The article mentioned they should have about 1000 by year end. Think I've seen previous reports that they already have 500 at the factory (perhaps not in active use yet).

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I see what you are saying, especially these 2 pictures clearly are not body colored, I'm even more confused at this point... I can't reconcile the RJ video with what I see here. It does not seem like they would be building different trim levels at this point and focusing on cleaning up the LE builds.

1618761553921.png

Assuming this is the same vehicle in process compared to off the line, it does support @electruck as it shows body color in the process and black at completion

1618761832755.png
Seem as if the entire roof is a single unit placed on top of the painted frame, thus ending up with a black top visible from the side. That would be a great efficiency if they pop on the entire roof with both 1st/2nd row and 3rd row glass panels all at once.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
So are the yellow brake calipers actually a yellow cover (plastic or metal) that goes over the actual caliper that is silver in this photo, or are there different calipers depending on build?

Rivian R1T R1S Chicago Tribune Article With Great Factory Updates and Photos! 75AA3577-046F-466A-AFE4-3B4D5D00B23A

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Seem as if the entire roof is a single unit placed on top of the painted frame, thus ending up with a black top visible from the side. That would be a great efficiency if they pop on the entire roof with both 1st/2nd row and 3rd row glass panels all at once.
Doubtful as there are other pictures in the set that show the roof "frame" installed without the glass. I suspect they have just opted to skip the black paint step on certain vehicles.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So are the yellow brake calipers actually a yellow cover (plastic or metal) that goes over the actual caliper that is silver in this photo, or are there different calipers depending on build?

75AA3577-046F-466A-AFE4-3B4D5D00B23A.jpeg
Different calipers. The yellow finish likely adds cost so this could be a cost savings measure used on certain pre-production vehicles.

Everyone needs to keep in mind pre-prod vehicles are production "intent" not 100% production "spec". We are pretty much guaranteed to see cosmetic variations from what will be delivered to us.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Different calipers. The yellow finish likely adds cost so this could be a cost savings measure used on certain pre-production vehicles.

Everyone needs to keep in mind pre-prod vehicles are production "intent" not 100% production "spec". We are pretty much guaranteed to see cosmetic variations from what will be delivered to us.
Hmmm...maybe. But every “pre-production” model I’ve seen out testing is yellow.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Hmmm...maybe. But every “pre-production” model I’ve seen out testing is yellow.
We've seen non-yellow calipers in pictures before which resulted in this very same conversation followed by people contacting CS to be told the production vehicles would have yellow calipers.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
We've seen non-yellow calipers in pictures before which resulted in this very same conversation followed by people contacting CS to be told the production vehicles would have yellow calipers.
I see thanks!

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
So now I am concerned.

Where are the Robots?! Compare this photo to any of Tesla's Freemont factory. The difference is night and day.
But you are not concerned that we didn't see photographs in the article of sheet metal presses, paint facilities, battery pack assembly, and a myriad of other things? Don't be concerned. Just because you don't see the things that, in your head, constitute an automotive assembly line doesn't mean that Rivian isn't moving forward according to plan. There is much going on there that those pics didn't capture. FYI, the robots are the blue arms in the distant background of many of the pictures.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
So now I am concerned.

Where are the Robots?! Compare this photo to any of Tesla's Freemont factory. The difference is night and day.
And where is Rivians TENT! They surely aren't a real EV company without a tent for at least one assembly line!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
R.J. and family are busy using it. They will return it in time for production.
No, no... not that puny little tent... one of these tents (which also lacks robots btw):

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
But you are not concerned that we didn't see photographs in the article of sheet metal presses, paint facilities, battery pack assembly, and a myriad of other things? Don't be concerned. Just because you don't see the things that, in your head, constitute an automotive assembly line doesn't mean that Rivian isn't moving forward according to plan. There is much going on there that those pics didn't capture. FYI, the robots are the blue arms in the distant background of many of the pictures.
Not to mention you are seeing maybe a couple thousand square feet in those pictures of 2.5+ million square foot factory. Musk has always been consumed with the “machine that makes the machine” more than the product he’s building. So you see a lot of media coverage of that because that’s where Tesla takes them to film. I think Rivian is more focused on the final product, and thus we see more of that. All speculation on my part, of course.
Sponsored