Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
It seems a bit disconcerting at this point in time that they still look like they are hand-building units one at a time? Unless maybe that is their plan and to slowly implement the actual production line over the rest of the year? Their alignment process looks extremely basic. I'm hoping they are not showing their best equipment.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Also a couple more looks at Red Canyon in the background

CE87C84A-4EE9-4DB6-895F-6A4D3FB08DE1.jpeg

D9F2A368-AB62-41FA-B0AE-CCF7787670CE.jpeg
Nice find! I'm a little confused by that extra strip of red on the roof. Isn't that part supposed to be black?

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Nice find! I'm a little confused by that extra strip of red on the roof. Isn't that part supposed to be black?
The entire chassis would have been painted in the primary color (in this case red). It is likely the area you are expecting to be black isn't painted but instead uses a black trim panel (such as found on the A-pillar) and which has yet to be installed.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The entire chassis would have been painted in the primary color (in this case red). It is likely the area you are expecting to be black isn't painted but instead uses a black trim panel (such as found on the A-pillar) and which has yet to be installed.
I think it is going to be body color and not black. This may have been an additional change form the preproduction vehicles they were showing.

If you look at the row of cars in the video where RJ demonstrates the flat folding seats, they all have body color around the roof of the vehicle.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

It seems a bit disconcerting at this point in time that they still look like they are hand-building units one at a time? Unless maybe that is their plan and to slowly implement the actual production line over the rest of the year? Their alignment process looks extremely basic. I'm hoping they are not showing their best equipment.

Standard Hunter Laser Alignment racks that get everything super accurate (I use for my race setup to adjust proper camber and toe) if anything they are being overly precise alignment wise then factory spec via assembly line alignment which I have seen off a LOT of times from factory.

Last edited:

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
That's probably it.

I think it is going to be body color and not black. This may have been an additional change form the preproduction vehicles they were showing.

If you look at the row of cars in the video where RJ demonstrates the flat folding seats, they all have body color around the roof of the vehicle.
That could be, but in the other R1S photos here they all do have a black border around the roof. It's hard to say they made a change without knowing which of these photos are more recent. Also wonder if it could be a difference in the trim levels (Adventure v. Explore).

jdhiker23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
That could be, but in the other R1S photos here they all do have a black border around the roof. It's hard to say they made a change without knowing which of these photos are more recent. Also wonder if it could be a difference in the trim levels (Adventure v. Explore).
Good point and it aligns with the side mirror cap color differences. If that's the case, the adventure would be body color trim on the top and the explore would be black trim. I'd be fine with that if they also match the rear hatch trim to the body color, but not sure I like the rear hatch being black with the top trim being body color.
The Red Canyon R1S is nearly complete (wired up with lights on) in the factory photos, so I'm pretty sure that's a body color trim piece and not the exposed frame.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Unlikely they would leave the liftgate in black if that were the case. The configurator also reflects the black roof as well as the updated liftgate so it is highly unlikely they would change a purely cosmetic detail like that at this stage of the game.

In the video you mentioned, all but 2 of the vehicles were wrapped. Of the 2 that weren't, the red clearly had the black roof but the blue was the same mixed scheme (blue roof, black liftgate) as the above photo of the red. So no definitive evidence in that video. Also have to keep in mind that these are all still pre-production and may not fully represent production spec. If the RJ interior video suggests anything to me it might be that part of the roof is to be painted black (instead of covered with a trim piece) and they may have simply skipped that step for cost cutting or other reasons when building some of the vehicles. For example, a crash test vehicle wouldn't need the production paint scheme.

Last edited:

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
Somewhat agree here. Knowing the 100s and 100s of job openings they have and then seeing the factory pictures which is more open space versus a very organized robotic/person production line by looks makes it seem that they are quite a ways off from "mass" production. I.e. hopefully they aren't going to do like 20-25 cars a week versus 500-1000, etc but that might be the norm for a while.

Updates on this progress, final photos of options/interior/exterior and feature details versus odd one off things like charging (duh we know basics here and even the network doesn't have detailed locations yet as they have jobs open for that area) and insurance (really not priority) are not that helpful at this point.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
That's probably it.

I see what you are saying, especially these 2 pictures clearly are not body colored, I'm even more confused at this point... I can't reconcile the RJ video with what I see here. It does not seem like they would be building different trim levels at this point and focusing on cleaning up the LE builds.

Rivian R1T R1S Chicago Tribune Article With Great Factory Updates and Photos! 1618761553921

Assuming this is the same vehicle in process compared to off the line, it does support @electruck as it shows body color in the process and black at completion

Rivian R1T R1S Chicago Tribune Article With Great Factory Updates and Photos! 1618761832755

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Anyone notice the sea of blue robots in the background of some of these pics?
Sponsored