First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
If you're looking to add some more tie down points this might be an option for you. I was missing the versatility of the rail system on my previous Tacoma. I do track days and have to haul a lot of gear with the tail gate down. I ended up buying the 3 tacoma bed rails, end caps, and m6 bolts from my local toyota dealership. Part numbers on the attached invoice. I purchased 2 extra m6 bolts, you only need 10. Cost me around 200 bucks all in.

Mounting bolts use the 3 capped points on the side of the bed and 4 on the header. Discard the plastic caps, and 10mm bolts, re use the large metal spacers. All three rails were slightly too long, I cut them down with a grinder. You will also need to drill 2 holes on the side rails and 2 on the header rail. You can use 1 pre driled hole on the side rails and 2 on the header rail. My tonneau cover clears with plenty of space. I'm going to buy the tie down cleats off Amazon. The Toyota ones are 25 bucks each if you order from the dealership. Update, on my truck the tonneau just clears the oem toyota cleats. Pics added. The header rail is very close, sides have more clearance.

Really happy how it turned out, looks OEM with the black finish.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) 20230221_154220

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) 20230221_154612

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) 20230221_154632

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) 20230221_154757

Side cleat clearance
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) 20230222_153557

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) 20230222_153423

Header rail clearance
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) 20230222_153740
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Nice work. I actually have a set of these side rails and have been procrastinating on doing exactly this. The end cap part numbers is a big help.

Do you have some Toyota cleats as well?

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
Nice work. I actually have a set of these side rails and have been procrastinating on doing exactly this. The end cap part numbers is a big help.

Do you have some Toyota cleats as well?
Thanks! I don't unfortunately. If I could go back I would have kept them and removed the rails before trading in the taco.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Awesome. I'm ordering as well. Will be nice reminder of my past Tacomas.

For those of you who aren't near a dealership, I recommend ToyotaPartsDeal.com. Parts are a bit cheaper but you do pay for shipping. A bit more than $200 when all is said and done but delivered to my house.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mcfly Rivian

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
That's a great idea, thanks for sharing.
Your welcome! I'm sure Rivian will have a similar accessory in the future. They put in the mounting points for a reason. I just got tired of waiting.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I saved the rails I removed from previous my Tundra when I installed a tonneau cover. I’ll have to see if they’ll work.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Those rails are very useful. Nice job!

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y
Great idea. This will be helpful to keep things in place while the tonneau cover is close too. Just having the lower strap points has been limiting at times.

Sponsored

Surfinkal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Data Engineer
Bookmark

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

@AustinWheeler45 how about some pics?
s00n
Currently in the rough in phase:

Will paint and get end caps eventually

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) IMG_0669
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) IMG_0670
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) IMG_0672

The back of the bed walls have a slant that starts near the tailgate, so you cannot make the rail full bed length without some creative bending/ back grinding. I just chose shorter rails.
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) IMG_0674

Will Be adding a back rail and some of the half strut on the tire cover for proper tie down points
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) IMG_0675

Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) IMG_0673

Haven't had the chance to run to the store but there are infinite unistrut tie down options,
a popular one is to just use a nut, plate and eye bolt. also, as stated previously he Nissan cleats (and all Nissan "Utilitrac" accessories work with it as it is the same dimensions.
I also like that this/the Nissan track is metal, iirc some of the taco tracks are a polymer, if that matters to anyone
This may actually open up the option to use the Nissan bed extender, will try whenever I get around to visiting my dad and stealing it off his
Rivian R1T R1S R1T bed tie down rails installed (adopted from Tacoma) IMG_0671

(sneak peak as the much more interesting project I'm working on (used unistrut scrap as well)

Last edited:

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
If you're looking to add some more tie down points this might be an option for you. I was missing the versatility of the rail system on my previous Tacoma. I do track days and have to haul a lot of gear with the tail gate down. I ended up buying the 3 tacoma bed rails, end caps, and m6 bolts from my local toyota dealership. Part numbers on the attached invoice. I purchased 2 extra m6 bolts, you only need 10. Cost me around 200 bucks all in.

Mounting bolts use the 3 capped points on the side of the bed and 4 on the header. Discard the plastic caps, and 10mm bolts, re use the large metal spacers. All three rails were slightly too long, I cut them down with a grinder. You will also need to drill 2 holes on the side rails and 2 on the header rail. You can use 1 pre driled hole on the side rails and 2 on the header rail. My tonneau cover clears with plenty of space. I'm going to buy the tie down cleats off Amazon. The Toyota ones are 25 bucks each if you order from the dealership. Update, on my truck the tonneau just clears the oem toyota cleats. Pics added. The header rail is very close, sides have more clearance.

Really happy how it turned out, looks OEM with the black finish.

20230221_154220.jpg

20230221_154612.jpg

20230221_154632.jpg

20230221_154757.jpg

Side cleat clearance
20230222_153557.jpg

20230222_153423.jpg

Header rail clearance
20230222_153740.jpg
Do you have the part number for the cleats?
Sponsored