Normal HVAC behavior?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
What do we consider “normal” behavior for the cabin hvac?

Scenario: 35 degrees F outside.
  • Set cabin temp to 70 (from the truck, or the app), wait a few minutes. It’s warm - yay!
  • Get in and drive, and once the truck hits the set temp, it switches from warm to cold blowing out the vents - boo!
  • I have to -manually- set the heater to “Hi” and fan to low to keep warm air blowing out the vents
  • Anything else - cold air hitting my body
None of my other vehicles behaved like this. It was - automatically: warm up, reduce fan speed, mix hot/cold to “about right” and blow softly, if at all. This is in EVs and ICE.

Note that I haven’t operated the truck in hot enough conditions yet to see how it operates in inverse conditions.

Is this your experience? I hate it. Filed a ticket today, but wondering what others’ experience is.
Sponsored

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
My HVAC acts like yours. I kind of assumed operator error figured in somehow, but I hadn't bothered to try and tease out what I might be doing wrong. Please post what you discover.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The system sucks. So bad. It was 43 degree cabin temp HVAC set to 66 and full on blowing cold air. Bumped it to 75 to turn the icon to bacon and the fan up and got some heat…

having to fight this system sucks. Just because the interior cabin temp is the set temp doesn’t mean I want the AC running… another thing rivian overthought. 😭

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
The system sucks. So bad. It was 43 degree cabin temp HVAC set to 66 and full on blowing cold air. Bumped it to 75 to turn the icon to bacon and the fan up and got some heat…

having to fight this system sucks. Just because the interior cabin temp is the set temp doesn’t mean I want the AC running… another thing rivian overthought. 😭
Aye. Yeah, love the truck, but this behavior is immensely stupid and needs to be addressed.

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
Yes mine also shows cold air blowing in yet its warmer cold air than the outside air so somehow it still warms the truck

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikehmb

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Yes mine also shows cold air blowing in yet its warmer cold air than the outside air so somehow it still warms the truck
But it’s blowing warm, correct? Rivian is aware of the issue where the AC icon shows when it’s blowing warm-ish air. But I’m getting cold air blowing immediately after warming up.

Flannelpants

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza
This has been my experience as well. For what its worth, toggling auto to off then back on gets warm air again, at least for me.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Did you get the latest update? I believe I read there were HVAC fixes coming in it

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
But it’s blowing warm, correct? Rivian is aware of the issue where the AC icon shows when it’s blowing warm-ish air. But I’m getting cold air blowing immediately after warming up.
Well feels warmer than outside air and inside air, but not like typical hot air from the heater so even I am confused what is happening

Jay565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hyundai
Well feels warmer than outside air and inside air, but not like typical hot air from the heater so even I am confused what is happening
Maybe I’ll try and see the temperature coming out with an IR gun, my wife borrowed the car today, so pretty sure will have lots to fix later tonight 😝

Sponsored

DetroitRed

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2011 Corvette Z06 Carbon Edition
Occupation
Engineer
I experience the same behavior. I'm typically determined to keep it in Auto mode, so once it starts blowing cold air, I start creeping the setpoint up to keep warm. Eventually it seems to reach an equilibrium and I can leave it alone.

johnmcgrann

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've seen some of this same behavior.

One thing I *think* I've noticed is that it might be worse when I turn off the rear system? I drove twice recently with one passenger from PA to VT and on both trips, I turned off the rear system thinking it would help with range. But almost immediately, I felt like the thing we're all complaining about started/got worse. And then when I turned the rear system back on, things got better.

I haven't really had another good opportunity to experiment more with this, but if any of you are also driving with the rear system off, consider turning it on and see how it goes for you?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

What do we consider “normal” behavior for the cabin hvac?

Scenario: 35 degrees F outside.
  • Set cabin temp to 70 (from the truck, or the app), wait a few minutes. It’s warm - yay!
  • Get in and drive, and once the truck hits the set temp, it switches from warm to cold blowing out the vents - boo!
  • I have to -manually- set the heater to “Hi” and fan to low to keep warm air blowing out the vents
  • Anything else - cold air hitting my body
None of my other vehicles behaved like this. It was - automatically: warm up, reduce fan speed, mix hot/cold to “about right” and blow softly, if at all. This is in EVs and ICE.

Note that I haven’t operated the truck in hot enough conditions yet to see how it operates in inverse conditions.

Is this your experience? I hate it. Filed a ticket today, but wondering what others’ experience is.
You have succinctly summarized this problem. We have the same issue in the truck and I find myself fighting with it. There is at least one other thread on this subject so many people have experienced it as well. The theories run from incorrect placement of the temperature sensor(s) to an under tuned temperature control system. I am interested to hear what the SC tells you.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Mine is constantly turning on defrost and overriding inside/outside air.

It’s also becomes even louder when it’s making an executive decision to turn on defrost. I’ve frequently thought “why the F is the fan so loud when it’s set to 2 out of 8?!”. Each time it’s because it’s turned on defrost without me asking.

And yes, it’s been frequently blowing cold air when I think it shouldn’t and I’ve had to adjust the temp even higher to get it to switch to heat.

This all happened two OTA updates ago IIRC.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I've often turned off the hvac and used the seat heaters for heat instead. Or faught with the system.

In previous posts, I've argued a simply hot/cold toggle on the hvac controls would be MUCH preferred over the current system which doesn't work as intended.
Sponsored