First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think the point @EVGuy2055 was trying to make is how difficult it would be to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats on the 2nd row bench.
That’s why you need power fold controls on the third row. I have them in my Expedition, it’s nice for accessing the third row from the tailgate when necessary.

EVGuy2055

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I think the point @EVGuy2055 was trying to make is how difficult it would be to access the 3rd row with 2 car seats on the 2nd row bench.
Correct, you cant fold the seat down to get back to the 3rd row with the carsets in without unhooking the carseats... very big pain to get in and out of the 3rd row.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Correct, you cant fold the seat down to get back to the 3rd row with the carsets in without unhooking the carseats... very big pain to get in and out of the 3rd row.
Ford solved this on the new Expedition, and it’s probably the one feature that I’m forfeiting with Rivian that I am actually very sad about. :(

Sponsored

billyt293

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes E350 - Jeep Wrangler - VW Atlas
Occupation
Sales
Ford solved this on the new Expedition, and it’s probably the one feature that I’m forfeiting with Rivian that I am actually very sad about. :(
VW Atlas solved it too, the seats slide forward without tilting the back forward and its plenty to access the 3rd row.

Unfortunately we got the Atlas after our kids were out of car seats though!

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
We went with 7 seat configuration. From the video we saw of RJ laying down in a folded 7 seat version, there was a ton or roof. I expect that 7 seater is still a LOT of cargo space. It would be similar to a Tesla X 7 versus 5 seater - where if you didn't have the 7 seats, you would have even more cargo space in a lower area of the back where seats would be. At so point it is almost more space that you need since you have plenty with 3rd row folded and the frunk combined already.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I am interested in knowing if I can get a full size spare tire, with the 5 seat version. They have indicted so far the R1S will have only a donut spare.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I am interested in knowing if I can get a full size spare tire, with the 5 seat version. They have indicted so far the R1S will have only a donut spare.
My guess is that you can get one, but you won’t be able to store it under the floorboard. You’d need to come up with some other option for storing it such as throwing it in the back on top of the floor board, on the roof or a hitch mount tire carrier. The shorter wheelbase on the R1S is likely the limiting factor, not the seat or battery config.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
My guess is that you can get one, but you won’t be able to store it under the floorboard. You’d need to come up with some other option for storing it such as throwing it in the back on top of the floor board, on the roof or a hitch mount tire carrier. The shorter wheelbase on the R1S is likely the limiting factor, not the seat or battery config.
If you compare the lengths and wheelbase specs, I think the amount of room for the spare tire is the same for both vehicles, if the third row seats are not there.

Consider:

R1T, length = 217 inch, wheelbase = 136 inch
R1S, length = 202 inch, wheel base =121 inch

So the dimensions are shortened by 15 inches for both, meaning the room behind the rear axle should be identical. It is that area where the spare is stored.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
If you compare the lengths and wheelbase specs, I think the amount of room for the spare tire is the same for both vehicles, if the third row seats are not there.

Consider:

So the dimensions are shortened by 15 inches for both, meaning the room behind the rear axle should be identical. It is that area where the spare is stored.
Good point!

Chris S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Model 3 Perf, '19 MX-5 Club, '22 Model Y Perf
Occupation
REALTOR

Consider:

True, but the R1S may have a lower rear cargo floor vs the R1T's bed height to maximize cargo space.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
True, but the R1S may have a lower rear cargo floor vs the R1T's bed height to maximize cargo space.
Just for reference, the rear cargo height for the R1S is different between the 7 and 5 seater by almost 3 inches.

• The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm. (33.6 inches)
• The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm. (36.4 inches)

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Just for reference, the rear cargo height for the R1S is different between the 7 and 5 seater by almost 3 inches.

• The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm. (33.6 inches)
• The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm. (36.4 inches)
I think that likely matches the height of the seatback folding down for the third row, thus making it flat for that case.

verygeeky

First Name
Bengt-Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Tundra, '19 WRX, '05 Forester
I had a quick chat with support this morning (unrelated account issue) and took the opportunity to ask Eric. Looks like 3" is about right.

> 5 vs. 7 seat on the S... If I order the 7 seat, can I remove them (I'm comfortable with most auto maint. etc)? If so, what's the difference?

< It's possible to remove that third row, but it's very difficult and requires some serious work to the vehicle. The third row does fold down almost all the way to where you only lose about 3 inches of vertical space in the cargo area when folded down.

-verygeeky (R1S deposit yesterday!)
Sponsored