Sponsored

101kgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 540, Lexus GX460, 1965 Shelby GT350, 81 Bronco
Occupation
Design/Import
stop hating in here. we can do without the negative comments or the dissertation on 1970s TN (btw it sounded awesome).

this guy went to a lot of effort and was kind enough to offer great information on the process. my guess is these guys commenting would be too cheap to get custom rims to begin with.
Sponsored

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
First mile drive here in KC today and we rode the 22 sport black wheels.

1- they absolutely look great and remind me of the old Jeep SRT wheels. Very solid and sharp looking.

2- I was surprised they didn’t ride as well as my expedition, which is on 24s!!!

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
we can do without the negative comments or the dissertation on 1970s TN (btw it sounded awesome).
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think means." - Inigo Montoya

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
I like the look. I am considering even adding some small wheel spacers to get that look. anyone know the bolt pattern hub size?

Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
we can do without the negative comments or the dissertation on 1970s TN (btw it sounded awesome).
Now with permit-less open carry. Hooo Aahh!

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I like the look. I am considering even adding some small wheel spacers to get that look. anyone know the bolt pattern hub size?
5x139.7 bolt pattern. 64.1 bore size. For spacers, the bore size isn't important, as long as it's big enough to clear the hub. Most 5x139.7 bolt pattern wheels / spacers have larger bore sizes.

Not sure which wheel you were referring to, but with Rivian's air suspension and the fact that it can lower itself, need to be careful about having them stick out too much. I have a thread in this forum where I spent a ton of time trying different wheel sizes and offsets. Found that -18MM was the most I could get. Reminder that lower offset numbers mean they stick out further. At 18mm, I'm right at the edge. I tried a little more on a different wheel and they rubbed. 18mm was the most I could go without rubbing them. So my recommendation is to get a wheel with 18mm or less offset (meaning a higher number). 17mm, 15mm, 10mm, 1mm as I think the OP used, stick out way too much and will rub the fenders.

This is where I'm at with 18mm....

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 1675499529433

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 1675499610762

Rivian R1T R1S Aftermarket Wheels Installed on R1T... 1675499654758

Last edited:

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Rivian's are so rare, there is no need to have to differentiate. Attempts to do so seem a bit ghetto. TIme will change that as more hit the road.

bmedfo1

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T launch edition 20" AT Carbon wrap
Occupation
CFO
5x139.7 bolt pattern. 64.1 bore size. For spacers, the bore size isn't important, as long as it's big enough to clear the hub. Most 5x139.7 bolt pattern wheels / spacers have larger bore sizes.

Not sure which wheel you were referring to, but with Rivian's air suspension and the fact that it can lower itself, need to be careful about having them stick out too much. I have a thread in this forum where I spent a ton of time trying different wheel sizes and offsets. Found that -18MM was the most I could get. Reminder that lower offset numbers mean they stick out further. At 18mm, I'm right at the edge. I tried a little more on a different wheel and they rubbed. 18mm was the most I could go without rubbing them. So my recommendation is to get a wheel with 18mm or less offset (meaning a higher number). 17mm, 15mm, 10mm, 1mm as I think the OP used, stick out way too much and will rub the fenders.

1675499529433.png

1675499610762.png

1675499654758.png

Thank you for all the information. In one place you mention -18 all the other +18. I just want to make sure I'm understanding right. you when to an offset of +18mm Vs the stock +48mm essentially moving you wheels out by 30MM and that is the max you could before they would start rubbing at the lower setting? I never use lowest but unfortunately have to run Low to be in sport and get all the power so I do use that one. I know everyone has there thoughts on modifications but I Love the look of your setup. I'm thinking I could go with a 1.25" wheel spacer setup and that should reduce my offset by ~ 32mm making it about +16mm after. So really close to what you have and I am handy enough to get around a little rubbing while keeping it pretty.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for all the information. In one place you mention -18 all the other +18. I just want to make sure I'm understanding right. you when to an offset of +18mm Vs the stock +48mm essentially moving you wheels out by 30MM and that is the max you could before they would start rubbing at the lower setting? I never use lowest but unfortunately have to run Low to be in sport and get all the power so I do use that one. I know everyone has there thoughts on modifications but I Love the look of your setup. I'm thinking I could go with a 1.25" wheel spacer setup and that should reduce my offset by ~ 32mm making it about +16mm after. So really close to what you have and I am handy enough to get around a little rubbing while keeping it pretty.
No you cannot do this! Rivian wheel studs are not long enough to handle spacers that thick. You would need different adapters bolted to the Rivian hubs with their own new studs, and even this is questionable based on the weight of the Rivian. Not safe.

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Correct, my wheels at +18MM offset, stick out toward the fenders by 30mm from the stock wheels with +48mm offset.

As noted above, the wheel studs are not long enough to simply bolt on a 1.25 inch spacer. I put 5 mm spacers on my stock wheels and had no problem. Could probably get away with up to 8mm spacers. Anything more than that, you won't have enough stud length to put the lugs back on.

However, they do make spacers that have wheel studs built into them. Thus effectively bolt down the spacer to the existing studs, then bolt the wheels onto the new studs that are built into the spacer. However, to do that, the spacers then have to be pretty thick as they'll have to be thick enough for the studs to be recessed into the spacer. I don't have the length of the stock studs, but guessing they're probably in the 2 inch range. So the spacer would have to be at least that thick to work with that type of setup. That would push the wheels out by over 50mm, which would then create a rubbing issue.

With the 5mm spacers on my stock wheels, I hardly noticed any difference as they were still an inch inwards of where my current wheels are.

If you want wheels that stick out to the point where mine are at, your best option is to pick up a set of new wheels. Tire Rack and/or E-bay sells plenty of 18mm offset wheels for under $300 each. I've never believed in spending $6,000 on a set of wheels. The cheap ones look just as nice, give you a lot more styling options and work just fine. With my Tesla, I remember there was a Tesla for sale that was customed out with wheels, blackout kit, spoiler, etc. They claimed that a popular shop installed it all for around $30,000. I found a set of wheels that looked darn near identical, a cheaper spoiler, cheaper blackout kit and had nearly the same exact look on my car for under $7,000. I was more than happy with it, which is all that matters. Generic parts look just the same as brand name parts, yet are a fraction of the cost. For the Rivian, I bought wheels and identical tread matching tires that were not "RIVN" stamped and was out the door for around $2,500 and still have my stock wheels in the garage. I have the stock 21's, so any time I do a road trip, I throw them on for the added range. At $2,500, that's $1,000 less than Rivian charges to upgrade to a "dark" wheel and that's just to upgrade one set of wheels / tires. For $2,500, I have two sets of wheels / tires. Those costs are why I didn't mind trying 5 different wheel packages on my truck until I found the set I was happiest with. Sold off the other sets for what I paid for them.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Rivian's are so rare, there is no need to have to differentiate. Attempts to do so seem a bit ghetto. TIme will change that as more hit the road.
And yet, thousands will modify theirs to make them their own. That's part of owning an off-road oriented truck. Everyone has free will to do as they choose with their trucks to make them their own. Nobody but the owner of the vehicle has to like it. Yes, Rivian's are rare, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to love the wheel choices that Rivian offers. Doesn't mean that many won't want to add running boards or rock sliders. Among the many, many other things people choose to do to personalize their truck to suit their own tastes. Many will be happy with what Rivian delivers as-is. Thousands will still want something a little different. After market companies make good money for a reason.

SDRivian

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
SE

1675499529433.png

1675499610762.png

1675499654758.png

I think your fitment looks great! What kind of rubbing are you experiencing? I am researching offsets now for a custom built forged setup. Knowing what you know now, what width and offset would you go with if you built a set of wheels from scratch?

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

For anyone that wants to browse aftermarket wheel options, I’ve done a ton of this lately and I’ve found this website to be a very good resource, with good prices.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I think your fitment looks great! What kind of rubbing are you experiencing? I am researching offsets now for a custom built forged setup. Knowing what you know now, what width and offset would you go with if you built a set of wheels from scratch?
Thank you

I have no rubbing issues with my current set up, as shown above. 20x9 wheels with 18mm offset. Down one tire size to 275/60/20. I am right at the limit. Another millimeter on offset and they'd likely rub a little. Bigger tire size and they'd likely rub. After 5 different sets / wheel / tire combinations, this was what I landed on as the best fitment for my tastes and no rubbing.
Sponsored