Not open for further replies.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I went to pick up a rental car recently. Although a "cheap" car, the attendant insisted on a very thorough pre-delivery inspection. Same on return.

I'm very surprised that a shop working on exotics as a matter of course would not insist on the same thing for each and every customer.

I for one don't want to be informed "during the wrapping process" that "my guy found damage while he was wrapping your car".
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Is it on the driver side or passenger side?
If it's on the driver's side it's large enough that there's pretty much no chance both you or and delivery/prep teams wouldn't have noticed it.

Kind of looks like it could have been caused by someone opening the back door into something vs. someone hitting something in to your vehicle?

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
I went to pick up a rental car recently. Although a "cheap" car, the attendant insisted on a very thorough pre-delivery inspection. Same on return.

I'm very surprised that a shop working on exotics as a matter of course would not insist on the same thing for each and every customer.

I for one don't want to be informed "during the wrapping process" that "my guy found damage while he was wrapping your car".
Actually do a video of the walk around and we walked around the truck as well. Seems to be lost on folks that the height and gloss in the original finish don't make the damage nearly as visible as the matte wrap does. It's been mentioned a few times at this point, but based on the height, lack of paint damage, lack of any transfer or paint or marking, and the gloss on the current finish, make it a tough one to pick out. 20/20 perfection is the standard on the internet though.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Actually do a video of the walk around and we walked around the truck as well. Seems to be lost on folks that the height and gloss in the original finish don't make the damage nearly as visible as the matte wrap does. It's been mentioned a few times at this point, but based on the height, lack of paint damage, lack of any transfer or paint or marking, and the gloss on the current finish, make it a tough one to pick out. 20/20 perfection is the standard on the internet though.
I for one do appreciate you reporting your experience. As you point out, "the devil is in the detail". It reminds me to be extra careful to document the condition of my vehicle when taking it to a vendor (tire shop, etc.). Thank you and I'm sorry you are having to deal with this issue.

FWIW (not a cent), I can see how you might miss this. You don't inspect cars for a living at a minute level. But I would not be pleased with a vendor who does and didn't didn't take the time to pre-inspect for precisely these hard to see/find issues.

A pre-inspection is meant to document that their is no existing prior damage. Coming back and saying, "oops we missed this" is not going to work for me. And not for a even your local "rent-a-car".

Find a good PDR guy. Locally they charge about $100 an inch of correction. Good luck!

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
If it's on the driver's side it's large enough that there's pretty much no chance both you or and delivery/prep teams wouldn't have noticed it.

Kind of looks like it could have been caused by someone opening the back door into something vs. someone hitting something in to your vehicle?
Where the damage is would NOT be the leading edge of the door and if it were next to something flat plane, not what would take the hit. The door edge would take the damage. Looks like something fell into it and caught that edge. Having been through the shop and seeing the set up, not really sure what that would actually be if it was done at his location.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
I for one do appreciate you reporting your experience. As you point out, "the devil is in the detail". It reminds me to be extra careful to document the condition of my vehicle when taking it to a vendor (tire shop, etc.). Thank you and I'm sorry you are having to deal with this issue.

FWIW (not a cent), I can see how you might miss this. You don't inspect cars for a living at a minute level. But I would not be pleased with a vendor who does and didn't didn't take the time to pre-inspect for precisely these hard to see/find issues.

A pre-inspection is meant to document that their is no existing prior damage. Coming back and saying, "oops we missed this" is not going to work for me. And not for a even your local "rent-a-car".

Find a good PDR guy. Locally they charge about $100 an inch of correction. Good luck!
Thanks. More attention to detail on the receipt of the vehicle was probably warranted on my part as well. Was just Christmas AM excited to get it off the flat bed.

He did video and go around the car and actually pointed out several things and fixed a few weatherstripping hood gaps. That part was missed. Whether it was him or Rivian...we will never know.

Riv_Ian

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi TTS, Triumph TR6, Tiger Explorer
Occupation
CEO
It started raining during our pick up and was pretty cold too. We were all keen to get in the vehicle for the overview and excited to get to drive. I missed a number of paint imperfections and didn’t find them until giving a thorough detail prior to dropping off for PPF. The ones on the roof spoiler wouldn’t have been found without a ladder anyhow. I was able to polish most of them out. It will be interesting to see whether Rivian will do anything about the remaining when I ask them about it Since, like you, I can’t prove that they were present at delivery. The video is a good idea - wish I’d thought of that.

goarmy

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Shop, extremely well respected, noted the damage during the wrapping process. The matte finish highlighted the issue that wasn't seen before as it is at more shoulder height.

No damage to the paint or clear so it looks like the damage was in the tins before they were sprayed.

Anyone else have anything like this?

IMG_2010.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg

I saw this a few days after delivery. Only visible at certain angles and lighting. Difficult to get a good picture. Put a service ticket in when I saw it. I told them that I would wait to get this fixed until I collected a few more service items that needed to be addressed.

Rivian R1T R1S Body Damage...not seen at delivery IMG_3356

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I saw this a few days after delivery. Only visible at certain angles and lighting. Difficult to get a good picture. Put a service ticket in when I saw it. I told them that I would wait to get this fixed until I collected a few more service items that needed to be addressed.

IMG_3356.jpeg
Maybe it is the camera angle but the alignment looks off too.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
When I had my R1T ppf'd, the shop did a thorough walk around inspection and took many pictures. They're thoroughly trained to notice any dent to the body panels before receipt of vehicle. It would be surprising if this was missed.

OP
OP

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
When I had my R1T ppf'd, the shop did a thorough walk around inspection and took many pictures. They're thoroughly trained to notice any dent to the body panels before receipt of vehicle. It would be surprising if this was missed.
Like I said, in the 20/20 perfection of the internet, everyone is always flawless.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Thanks. More attention to detail on the receipt of the vehicle was probably warranted on my part as well. Was just Christmas AM excited to get it off the flat bed.

He did video and go around the car and actually pointed out several things and fixed a few weatherstripping hood gaps. That part was missed. Whether it was him or Rivian...we will never know.
Not to say it was not there when it was delivered but just seems odd to me you get it wrapped over a month later and automatically deduce it must have been there all along.

My opinion way too much time has passed for me to expect Rivian to address that.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.