Sponsored

Hope V2H Vehicle to House is a priority for Rivian

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Highly doubtful as your current EVSE will not allow flow in both directions.. and that's just for starters.
The equipment alone will easily be over $1,000-$2,000. Yes, I'm sure you can do the labor yourself if you know what you're doing... but it will need to pass inspection too, so it has to be up to code.
EVSE doesn't allow flow in both directions but the wire going to your panel from it sure does. Not much equipment is needed. <$100 total from the electrical aisle at your local hardware store including a $20 lockout. If someone is setup for a gas generator, they basically already have what they need. The lightning works just like any generator. Don't need the $2k-$10k "setup". You welcome to opt for it though.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
^ we're discussing the Rivian's V2H setup.. which will have to go through it's J1772 port.. which will have to use handshake protocol not just a simple "wire to wire" hack. That's why the equipment is going to be several thousand dollars to connect to your house when all is said and done. Of course you're welcome to save probably 50% off the total if you can do the wiring/interconnect part yourself and provided it passes code inspection.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
^ we're discussing the Rivian's V2H setup.. which will have to go through it's J1772 port.. which will have to use handshake protocol not just a simple "wire to wire" hack. That's why the equipment is going to be several thousand dollars to connect to your house when all is said and done. Of course you're welcome to save probably 50% off the total if you can do the wiring/interconnect part yourself and provided it passes code inspection.
Several thousand minimum, assuming panel in the garage and no load management. I presume the vehicle is providing 400V to a new inverter in the garage.

There's a lot to be said for the somplicity of an onboard 50amp/240V inverter and a simple generator connection to the home, as the Lightning offers.

I think full V2H makes sense when the vehicle battery can arbitrage electrical costs daily. It's a expensive option for occasional home backup. I'm willing to save $500 per use and manually plug in an extension cord when backup is needed.

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
EVSE doesn't allow flow in both directions but the wire going to your panel from it sure does. Not much equipment is needed. <$100 total from the electrical aisle at your local hardware store including a $20 lockout. If someone is setup for a gas generator, they basically already have what they need. The lightning works just like any generator. Don't need the $2k-$10k "setup". You welcome to opt for it though.
OK. How are you going to get the power out Of the Rivianā€˜s battery?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Has to be the inverter. So he's only getting 120V at 15A, and can't run any 240V devices.

His point, I think, is that Rivian should give us a 240V onboard inverter option like the Lightning offers. Rivian can't even get it's wall connector vendor to deliver sufficient units. It will be years before they can do V2H, regardless that the R1s apparently can be configured to output 400V.

Sponsored

JamesPolk24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Referring to using the Lightning as a generator. Naysayers keep downplaying the Lightning saying it takes $2k/$4k/$10k to utilize the power output which is simply misinformation. I have both trucks and Rivian loses big points for shorting us on the power output with a 1500w surge inverter that also drops voltage like a rock. It's weak. Not going to sugarcoat everything Rivian just because I own one. It's much better than nothing, but even the base Lightning onboard blows it away.

EDIT: Combined with the fact bidirectional chargers are around $4k and there is no way around it. If you want a practical backup solution that will actually power all your loads for V2H, you are REQUIRED to purchase a $4k charger for the Rivian. Ford comes ready to go.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Referring to using the Lightning as a generator. Naysayers keep downplaying the Lightning saying it takes $2k/$4k/$10k to utilize the power output which is simply misinformation. I have both trucks and Rivian loses big points for shorting us on the power output with a 1500w surge inverter that also drops voltage like a rock. It's weak. Not going to sugarcoat everything Rivian just because I own one. It's much better than nothing, but even the base Lightning onboard blows it away.

EDIT: Combined with the fact bidirectional chargers are around $4k and there is no way around it. If you want a practical backup solution that will actually power all your loads for V2H, you are REQUIRED to purchase a $4k charger for the Rivian. Ford comes ready to go.
I don't think anyone here was naysaying Ford nor Rivian, nor even discussing Ford. This was about available technology for fixed V2H installations with a PV possibility, whether is Rivian, Tesla, Ford, or Hyundai.

With that said, it all depends on your home and power needs. DC V2H has the potential to provide much more power using a home based interver, as compared to the max 7.2kw provided by the Lightning. I will also go out on a limb and say that the Lightning's inverter is probably not engineered for extended/long term use at close to maximum capacity, as compared to a home based inverter.

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

32 panels on the roof, enphase 10k battery. No need for v2h.

joshtish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Information Technology.
Iā€™m really hoping that there will be a marketed version of a ā€œPortable Generatorā€ that works on the CCS V2X standard. Iā€™d envision it as an inverter on wheels with 120VAC and 240VAC outlets on it, that plugs right into your CCS port on a standards-compliant vehicle.

This would allow for you to bring the ā€œgeneratorā€ anywhere, like a jobsite or tailgate (or campsite or cabin), and allow for people with manual transfer switches to take advantage of their existing generator installs for their homes, only hooking it up to their car instead.

Sponsored

KyleJJ06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Blue R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Iā€™m really hoping that there will be a marketed version of a ā€œPortable Generatorā€ that works on the CCS V2X standard. Iā€™d envision it as an inverter on wheels with 120VAC and 240VAC outlets on it, that plugs right into your CCS port on a standards-compliant vehicle.

This would allow for you to bring the ā€œgeneratorā€ anywhere, like a jobsite or tailgate (or campsite or cabin), and allow for people with manual transfer switches to take advantage of their existing generator installs for their homes, only hooking it up to their car instead.
This is what Iā€™ll be on the lookout for too!

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

The battery switches on automatically when the grid is out. Havenā€™t lost power due to hurricanes in 25 years, just local outages for 6-10 hours. The panels / battery can run everything except AC.
Sponsored