Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

The more I see it, the more it resembles the FJ, which is not a bad thing IMO
Here is what amazes me about this video; the Hummer is much further from deliveries than Rivian, yet look at how much detail this video provided. Such as:

- Showing the battery pack mockup
- Showing suspension details
- Showing the tailgate working
- Showing the seats actually folding
- Showing rear legroom and headroom with front seats all the way back
- Showing some demos of the controls and screens
- Showing the roof panels being removed, the previous truck video showed them going into the frunk
- There were color samples that looked real in the background

How long did we wait to see the folded flat seats in the R1S? And did that video actually show them going up and down? When will we see a demo of the controls and screens? I guess some people will get to see that by June.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Here is what amazes me about this video; the Hummer is much further from deliveries than Rivian, yet look at how much detail this video provided. Such as:

- Showing the roof panels being removed, the previous truck video showed them going into the frunk

How long did we wait to see the folded flat seats in the R1S? And did that video actually show them going up and down? When will we see a demo of the controls and screens? I guess some people will get to see that by June.
I guess the question is how much of this will be what is in the production release version? Much of this was touted for Rivian as well long ago but ended up being altered for the final release version.

A lot of that is fine to show but we all (should) know until the get to the final production release all of it is subject to change.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I guess the question is how much of this will be what is in the production release version? Much of this was touted for Rivian as well long ago but ended up being altered for the final release version.

A lot of that is fine to show but we all (should) know until the get to the final production release all of it is subject to change.
Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s ALL in the final product for GM. GM is probably the best in the business when it comes to understanding what it takes (cost, tooling, resources, time) to produce a product. I’m not saying they’re always the best quality (they’re not) but they know, down to the penny, what the GMC Hummer will cost them to produce.

Also, they have a vast library of products and designs to pull from. The tailgate, for example, has been proven in the real-world for several years and in the lab/mule fleet for a decade. They basically copy/paste the Multi-Pro tailgate from the GMC Sierra to the Hummer.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s ALL in the final product for GM. GM is probably the best in the business when it comes to understanding what it takes (cost, tooling, resources, time) to produce a product. I’m not saying they’re always the best quality (they’re not) but they know, down to the penny, what the GMC Hummer will cost them to produce.

Also, they have a vast library of products and designs to pull from. The tailgate, for example, has been proven in the real-world for several years and in the lab/mule fleet for a decade. They basically copy/paste the Multi-Pro tailgate from the GMC Sierra to the Hummer.
I must have missed something, I thought @azbill was referring to the SUV video, that was what I was referring to. It is further out from production than the truck. It is not using the Multi-Pro tailgate but is using a swing gate with a mounted spare.

If he was referring to a different video then please ignore my comments....

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I must have missed something, I thought @azbill was referring to the SUV video, that was what I was referring to. It is further out from production than the truck. It is not using the Multi-Pro tailgate but is using a swing gate with a mounted spare.

If he was referring to a different video then please ignore my comments....
Sorry, I was thinking of the truck.

Even so, my point remains the same... GM has extensive experience in this field, and their ability to know the practicality and cost of producing a design are second to none.

Sponsored

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Did some quick dimensions comparisons, not debating on style, price etc. Just a natural curiosity as other EV Trucks and SUV's enter the market. The width and height on the Hummer is kind of insane. Larger than a Tahoe by comparison. Significantly shorter in Length then the R1S, thus the 5 seater.

Length: R1S 202'' Hummer SUV 197''
Height: R1S 72'' Hummer SUV 81''
Wheelbase: R1S 121'' Hummer SUV 127''
Width W.O. Mirrors: R1S 79'' Hummer SUV 86.5''
Approach: R1S 34.3 Hummer 44.3-49.7 (Mode dependent)
Departure: R1S 33.7 Hummer 33.7-38.4
Breakover: R1S 28.9 Hummer 25.4-32.2
Max Clearance: R1S 14.4'' Hummer 11.9-15.9''
Wading Depth: R1S 3+ft Hummer 28''-32''

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt

Given that these are simply pre-orders, all that can change. The only color you can get with the first edition is white, so at least Rivian is giving us options in that regard, even if we only have bad renderings for some colors at this time.

Rivian was also running around showing off prototypes inside and out a year and a half ago, and they actually drove quite well. Meanwhile, apparently the hummer will just creep under its own power. Charging issues aside, the long way up series and now Rivian testing vehicles all over the US gives me no pause in trusting their durability testing and ironing out all the bugs. Meanwhile, the multi billion dollar vw ID4 has UI bugs on the cars being sold to customers.

So the proof is in the pudding, when I see GM run these trucks in Moab and drift around a frozen lakebed, meanwhile I see a Honda driveline/H3 mashed together that looks WAY too wide, with gaudy 35's.

One thing I DO appreciate is they said 37's will fit the hummer ev, as sold.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
They already did this:
https://insideevs.com/news/495559/videos-show-gmc-hummer-ev-in-snow/

When I got to see the Hummer in person, the GM rep told me they have 15 out testing, at least 2 are now in Arizona getting ready for hot weather testing this summer.
My take on these videos, could just be how GM and Rivian choose to edit and portray the different vehicles but watching this and watching the R1T in the snow, seems like the R1T was more sure footed and under control at similar speeds.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My take on these videos, could just be how GM and Rivian choose to edit and portray the different vehicles but watching this and watching the R1T in the snow, seems like the R1T was more sure footed and under control at similar speeds.
Different environments, drivers, and circumstances. I don’t think any reasonable head-to-head comparisons can be made. At best, it simply proves both Rivian and GM have EV trucks doing cold weather testing.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Different environments, drivers, and circumstances. I don’t think any reasonable head-to-head comparisons can be made. At best, it simply proves both Rivian and GM have EV trucks doing cold weather testing.
That is the only comparison I was trying to make. Rivian did their hot weather testing last year, and they will deliver this summer. GM is doing hot weather testing this year and will deliver in the fall. CT has done neither.

FYI, GM just officially announced the Silverado EV today, to be built at Factory Zero and will have 400 mile range. No pictures or detailed specs yet. Speculation is it will deliver in 2023.

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
That is the only comparison I was trying to make. Rivian did their hot weather testing last year, and they will deliver this summer. GM is doing hot weather testing this year and will deliver in the fall. CT has done neither.

FYI, GM just officially announced the Silverado EV today, to be built at Factory Zero and will have 400 mile range. No pictures or detailed specs yet. Speculation is it will deliver in 2023.
Awesome news that gm announced a 400 mile electric Silverado, thats huge news and puts dodge/ram/jeep and ford on notice. Sure, the rumble of a v8 is cool sometimes, and the sound of a turbo building boost and feeling the rush of power can be exciting, but around town and considering pure power output, you cannot beat an ev. Once mainstream pickup owners get a taste of hellcat power in their pickup truck, all best are off as to the new best selling truck.

CT has done BOTH, if you consider their that Tesla inverters, motors and power systems being used have already been around and evolving for nearly a decade. The battery pack in the CT is the only very new unknown item.