First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I removed my trim piece at 5pm last night.. had 146mi range.
Not using the truck today.. Gary turned off, no PAAK or Spotify acct, my fob is in a Faraday box.
Will report my range at 5PM tonight.
Replying to my own post above..

Last night at 5pm: 146mi range
Tonight at 5pm: 139mi range

So even w/the trim piece removed I still lost 7mi range in 24hrs 😞

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
This possible root cause of excessive vampire drain, the frunk latch sensor, would have been quickly discovered by Rivian software engineers.

I am very skeptical that we found the main cause of our significant R1 vampire drain.

Last edited:

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

This possible root cause of excessive vampire drain, the frunk latch sensor, would have been quickly discovered by Rivian software engineers.

I am very skeptical that we found the main cause of our significant R1 vampire drain.

OP
OP

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd

As I said in my original post, YMMV and just because this worked for me doesn't mean it will for you. Since dropping my truck at the SC yesterday multiple items have been added to the service list without any suggestion from me. The new items include:

- Hood closure panels
- cargo area closure latches (listed twice)

Those new items certainly suggest to me that my frunk and frunk latch have been problematic.

Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Have you tried just adjusting the latch length?
Funny you mentioned that. While I have no idea how to adjust the latch length, I did adjust the hood bumpers/bump stops or whatever they're called on the hood this morning for the first time. They are pictured below and circled in yellow on the overview photo.

I actually noticed the driver's side one was pretty secure, but the passenger side was sticking out significantly farther. I twisted it clockwise a few rotations until it stopped moving thereby shortening the length it sticks out. The hood should theoretically be able to close even tighter.

I have no idea if it made any difference, but I noticed every time I launched the app from my work office today, the vehicle was sleeping.

I may play around with things a bit and re-install the frunk liner piece and see what happens.

Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain Relating to Frunk Trim -- my solution to reduce drain % IMG_1100
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain Relating to Frunk Trim -- my solution to reduce drain % IMG_1101
Rivian R1T R1S Vampire Drain Relating to Frunk Trim -- my solution to reduce drain % IMG_1102

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

As I said in my original post, YMMV and just because this worked for me doesn't mean it will for you. Since dropping my truck at the SC yesterday multiple items have been added to the service list without any suggestion from me. The new items include:

- Hood closure panels
- cargo area closure latches (listed twice)

Those new items certainly suggest to me that my frunk and frunk latch have been problematic.
Well that's interesting. I actually have a SC visit scheduled on 2/8/2023 for the battery drain. I'm not sure if I can communicate these community hacks to the SC without them thinking I'm nuts, but I do have a communication from Wassym via Reddit that my frunk sensor is malfunctioning. I actually reached out to Wassym and asked if I should reschedule for after the OTA or if there is something the SC can do mechanically with the sensor independent of the upcoming OTA.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
This did not work for me. 6hrs and lost 7 miles

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
interesting. when did they switch from magnets?
Around Aug/Sep of 2022. If you have the tub with the 12V, you have dual magnetin the tub and you have magnets for the trim.

If you don’t have the 12V in the tub, then you have a single magnet in the tub and plastic clips for the trim.

In case anyone is wondering, the harness is there. The 12V tub can be retrofit.

Sponsored

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
I had my doubts... But this actually worked for me. Received my truck 5 days ago, every night I would lose 8-10 miles (outdoors, temps in low 40s). Last night I removed the panel at 7pm, truck said 203 miles. This morning 6:30am, truck has 202 miles!

I'll test more over the next few nights, but very encouraging!

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
If you log out of Spotify, will it still be that chatty? It’s just so strange to reach out that frequently.
I was wondering the same thing. It would be interesting to know the sample rate of people who are experiencing vampire drain and use Spotify and vice versa. Or, as you said, log out of Spotify and see the results.

When I get my truck in a couple weeks it’ll be parked in subterranean parking completely isolated from any signals. I wonder how that would effect the vampire drain.

Most likely the patch will be out by then and this will be a nonissue anyway, but it’s interesting nonetheless.

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'm trying the frunk trim removal test. Took it out, unplugged, locked. Still losing some battery. Granted it has been single digits here. In 48 hours, I've gone from 85% to 80% with trim piece out. Doesn't seem to be making a shits difference for me.

toade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor
5% in 48 hours of single digit weather isn't too bad.

I was losing like 3% in 10 hours of 40 degree weather.
Sponsored