First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Oh yes. Dr. Scaringe himself has responded to criticisim by noting exactly that. That this is a distinctly Rivian thing and an attention getter. Much like the FWD's on the X. It's pretty plain to me that any time I'll see a Rivian in oncoming traffic I will know what it is and that anyone who isn't familiar with Rivian is going to say "What in heavens name was that?"
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Well, it's certainly an attention getter. Maybe my plan to give my R1S a lime/puce wrap will take attention away from the lights.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
Well, it's certainly an attention getter. Maybe my plan to give my R1S a lime/puce wrap will take attention away from the lights.
I might find an artist to airbrush around the lights to make it look like a more rounded light. :CWL:

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
The Ford involvement with Rivian has plus and minuses. The financial,parts, service and sales are pluses...big ones for a startup, guaranteeing it’s coming to market. The minuses are down the road a bit, Ford might decide to acquire Rivian and absorb it into Lincoln which doesn’t sound bad but it usually entails the acquiring entity to put some of their management in the loop(Supplant their culture). Maybe Ford wants to up sales (they don’t do niche cars) and decide to cut costs! no free software upgrades, no continuous model upgrades, change to a 5 year cycle, upgrade battery pack nope buy a new Fiviazon (you saw it here first). Maybe RJ is is working on a plan to combine up after showing viability, Ford may have first rights on purchase, Rj becomes Lincoln new leader etc.

Rivian scenarios
1 Vehicles do well, grow independently while providing tech to Ford,Amazon
2 Vehicles do well, becomes a premium target of acquisition. Bidding war.
3 Vehicles do poorly, Tech failure. Forced to sell. Ford acquires for pennies on the dollar.

azjohnny

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S 100D Toyota Tundra
The Ford involvement with Rivian has plus and minuses. The financial,parts, service and sales are pluses...big ones for a startup, guaranteeing it’s coming to market. The minuses are down the road a bit, Ford might decide to acquire Rivian and absorb it into Lincoln which doesn’t sound bad but it usually entails the acquiring entity to put some of their management in the loop(Supplant their culture). Maybe Ford wants to up sales (they don’t do niche cars) and decide to cut costs! no free software upgrades, no continuous model upgrades, change to a 5 year cycle, upgrade battery pack nope buy a new Fiviazon (you saw it here first). Maybe RJ is is working on a plan to combine up after showing viability, Ford may have first rights on purchase, Rj becomes Lincoln new leader etc.

Rivian scenarios
3 Vehicles do poorly, Tech failure. Forced to sell. Ford acquires for pennies on the dollar.

IMO if anybody would buy out Rivian it would be Amazon

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Green Car Reports" published an article recently with this passage:

"The R1S is a seven passenger electric SUV with an optional range of more than 400 miles. It's due to follow Rivian's highly-anticipated R1T electric pickup by about a year when it goes one sale late in 2021."

Late 2021?!? Has anyone heard this time frame mentioned anywhere else?

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

"Green Car Reports" published an article recently with this passage:

"The R1S is a seven passenger electric SUV with an optional range of more than 400 miles. It's due to follow Rivian's highly-anticipated R1T electric pickup by about a year when it goes one sale late in 2021."

Late 2021?!? Has anyone heard this time frame mentioned anywhere else?
The only thing that's supposed to be a year behind is the small battery pack. All communication from Rivian has implied the R1S and R1T will be made available at the same time (or nearly).

Cactusone

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma Acura RDX corvette
Not my understanding. R1s was always coming after the r1t.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I've seen late 2020 for both vehicles, in multiple sources. Earlier news said that R1S would come later, but everything recent has been late 2020 for both models.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Rivian scenarios
Call me crazy, but after watching countless interviews with him and talking to him in person at the Denver event, there is ZERO chance he is selling. Rivian backed out of talks with GM because they wanted exclusivity. That would be no different with Ford. Ford gave them money to have access to their skateboard and I am sure Rivian gets access to Ford in some way, shape, or form. I would expect more investments from some of the other players if the partnership works and Rivian is hitting their marks. Rivian will remain Rivian.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I might find an artist to airbrush around the lights to make it look like a more rounded light.
I was watching a video on the R1S and found a great take on the Rivian front in the comments section. A poster said it looked as if a volcano had gone off at the watering hole and surprised the hippopotamus.

I sort of like the front end in a funky sort of way, but I definitely get the visual of the surprised hippo.

ormandj

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
The headlights are very close to a deal-breaker for me. They've been fairly universally panned, it's interesting to me that Rivian is sticking to their guns on this one. Everyone I've discussed the Rivian with has said the same. I know the saying there is no such thing as bad publicity, but it's patently false. I think a distinctive feature is a great idea, but it doesn't have to be hideous.

I like the company's projected vision (I currently drive a Wrangler, but would love something efficient but capable off-road), but it's going to be very difficult for me to get over the headlights. Ford might be a way to get at least some of the tech, without the headlight design. It's a shame, because the R1T is quite handsome otherwise.

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

I guess it boils down to: if you don’t like the headlights, then don’t buy the vehicle. I hate to sound like a smartass, but no one is forcing anyone to buy the vehicle.

Initially the headlights were a distraction to me, but I’ve grown to really like the uniqueness of them.

ormandj

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I guess it boils down to: if you don’t like the headlights, then don’t buy the vehicle. I hate to sound like a smartass, but no one is forcing anyone to buy the vehicle.

Initially the headlights were a distraction to me, but I’ve grown to really like the uniqueness of them.
That's exactly what the last two lines I stated suggest:

ormandj said:
Ford might be a way to get at least some of the tech, without the headlight design. It's a shame, because the R1T is quite handsome otherwise.
My commentary was related to this thread, and spoken as a proponent of the company as I believe in their stated vision. I just don't like the headlights, and I hope they are reconsidered as they are very off-putting to many, and may negatively impact sales. It's not a minor design feature, it's the very front of the vehicle and very noticeable, and I can count the number of times I've heard positive comments on one hand, including your last sentence. No offense was taken to your comment, but it was a bit misguided. I'd rather not buy a Ford, trust me!
Sponsored