Sponsored

Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

So if you size the tire down 1 you don’t need to, it’s the exact same circumference as the 22. So nothing needs to be changed
Exactly what I did. 275/60/20 instead of 275/65/20. got these for under $1,200 for the set. Purchased the Pirelli Scorpion tires that look identical to the stock tires. The only difference, they're not RIVN stamped. They are about $250 per tire versus over $400 for the RIVN stamped tires. The 33" tires, in my own opinion, look better on the truck as well. The stock 34's always felt too big. These match the diameter of the stock 21's and 22's from Rivian.

No rubbing.

I did have hubcentric rings made up by uswheeladapters and purchased a separate set of TPMS. All in, was about $2,700 to $2,800.

Tire rack reflects wheels that will physically fit the truck but wouldn't go above 18mm on offset, which is what these are. Any more than this and you'd likely have rubbing issues. So, if you search tire rack, they'll come up with plenty of choices, but many of them have more offset (lower numbers). 20mm I think would be great as well. If you want them tucked inside the wheel wells completely, then need to find something with around 26mm offsets. The options then become far more limited.

Dodge wheels are an option if you like that style. But, pretty sure they have a different bore, so should have hubcentric rings made for those too. Not absolutely necessary, but recommended.

Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 1674812940660
Sponsored

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Has anyone tried the steelies yet? I wonder if it’ll clear the calipers?
I am also curious if these would clear the calipers...I'm not a wheel expert by any means, but, if the measurements are the same-ish as the Racelines (20x9, 5x139.7, +18mm offset: link), then they should just fit, correct? I am super interested simply because personally I'd rather put money in the tire rather than the wheel (all black wheels sorta look the same to me). Also, this would make a spare wheel/tire combo super budget-friendly (see new EDIT below for tire info I just figured out...).

Reposting the steel wheel link for reference: https://www.roadreadywheels.com/products/2002-2008-20x8-dodge-ram-1500-steel-wheel-rim

Wheel Specs: 20x8, bolt pattern 5-139.7mm or 5-5.5″, offset 19mm (which is 1mm more than offsets I've seen on the Raceline Boost / Scout / etc, and those are _supposed_ to fit the Rivian)
Tire fitment: 275/60R20 (translates to a 33" tire, which is slightly smaller than the OEM 34" but shouldn't be a deal-breaker for most of us? Well, not me anyway...). see EDIT below for new-to-me tire information I figured out...

And in the spirit of keeping related information co-located another commenter pointed that hub centric ring adapter (hub rings link) would be necessary to line up these steel wheels with the the center bore:
  • Rivian center bore: 64.1 mm
  • Linked steel wheels: 78.1mm
  • DiscountTire will do this for you...think they said it's like $6 extra total.
One other question I have if anyone is will to throw thoughts back at me: what is the effect of reducing the wheel width by 0.5" (OEM wheels are 8.5" wide, these steel wheels are 8")?
  • Generally less traction?
  • Tire/wheel combo sits more inside the wheel well?

EDIT: well eff it. I am impatient. I ordered the steelies and the Rivian Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain+ (be aware that this tire is a special variation on the "regular" Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain+...the original/regular tire is ~58lbs/tire versus the Rivian-spec at 48lbs/tire, which I imagine has a significant impact on range, but is also more expensive as a result...). I will be a tester for this config and check back in with how things go next week. If it doesn't pan out, at least I can return the wheels for free and pony up more $$ for another option.

Last edited:

BendR1S

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Subaru Outback
Curiously following this thread as I'm looking to get a separate set of winter wheels (truck is on 20" AT wheels). These are the specs of the wheels I'm considering, aftermarket wheel for Dodge RAM 1500:

Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 1674851625180

Would love to get feedback from folks who've got more experience/insight with this stuff!

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I think the part# you want for the dodge ram wheels that fit is 2363. That is what i have on my truck with no problem. I dont know about the 2528.

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think the part# you want for the dodge ram wheels that fit is 2363. That is what i have on my truck with no problem. I dont know about the 2528.
Cool, those look like the same specs as the steelies I ordered. What tire do you have? How far does it stick out? Apologies if you posted images and I missed them...thanks in advance!

Edit: just dug through previous posts...appears this is what I should expect in terms of tires sticking out a little bit further: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...h-rims-cheap-for-snow-tires.10291/post-252236

Last edited:

Sponsored

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
Cool, those look like the same specs as the steelies I ordered. What tire do you have? How far does it stick out? Apologies if you posted images and I missed them...thanks in advance!

Edit: just dug through previous posts...appears this is what I should expect in terms of tires sticking out a little bit further: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...h-rims-cheap-for-snow-tires.10291/post-252236
I have the Falken wildpeak A/T3. They do stick out a bit, but have been a huge improvement over the stock 21's in the recent snow we are finally getting here in the northeast. I didn't post any images from the front or rear to show how far they stick out but happy to if you are still interested. Only thing I may be concerned with the steel is the weight, but i just checked and only looks like they are a couple pounds heavier than the 2363's.

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
More pics would be awesome! Yeah, I was a little concerned about the weight, but since I'm sticking with the Rivian-variant of the Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts and shaving weight off there, I don't think the weight of the steel wheels is a deal breaker.

FWIW, my overall savings should be ~$1800 compared to buying the A/T wheels/tires from Rivian. That money is buying me rock sliders :)

waitinUntil2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Also, does anyone know how to interpret the Load Index number for the steel wheels I linked earlier? I see Load Index Rating, ‎275 ... wtf does that translate to? My google-fu is failing me...

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
I am also curious if these would clear the calipers...I'm not a wheel expert by any means, but, if the measurements are the same-ish as the Racelines (20x9, 5x139.7, +18mm offset: link), then they should just fit, correct? I am super interested simply because personally I'd rather put money in the tire rather than the wheel (all black wheels sorta look the same to me). Also, this would make a spare wheel/tire combo super budget-friendly (see new EDIT below for tire info I just figured out...).

Reposting the steel wheel link for reference: https://www.roadreadywheels.com/products/2002-2008-20x8-dodge-ram-1500-steel-wheel-rim

Wheel Specs: 20x8, bolt pattern 5-139.7mm or 5-5.5″, offset 19mm (which is 1mm more than offsets I've seen on the Raceline Boost / Scout / etc, and those are _supposed_ to fit the Rivian)
Tire fitment: 275/60R20 (translates to a 33" tire, which is slightly smaller than the OEM 34" but shouldn't be a deal-breaker for most of us? Well, not me anyway...). see EDIT below for new-to-me tire information I figured out...

And in the spirit of keeping related information co-located another commenter pointed that hub centric ring adapter (hub rings link) would be necessary to line up these steel wheels with the the center bore:
  • Rivian center bore: 64.1 mm
  • Linked steel wheels: 78.1mm
  • DiscountTire will do this for you...think they said it's like $6 extra total.
One other question I have if anyone is will to throw thoughts back at me: what is the effect of reducing the wheel width by 0.5" (OEM wheels are 8.5" wide, these steel wheels are 8")?
  • Generally less traction?
  • Tire/wheel combo sits more inside the wheel well?

EDIT: well eff it. I am impatient. I ordered the steelies and the Rivian Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain+ (be aware that this tire is a special variation on the "regular" Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain+...the original/regular tire is ~58lbs/tire versus the Rivian-spec at 48lbs/tire, which I imagine has a significant impact on range, but is also more expensive as a result...). I will be a tester for this config and check back in with how things go next week. If it doesn't pan out, at least I can return the wheels for free and pony up more $$ for another option.
Very curious how this experiment works out! Thanks for taking the leap

Sprout

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T FE FG 21 ORP
Occupation
RADIAC tech
I like these.....nice option and find.
I bought Thuren's prototype set with the BFG MUD-TERRAIN T/A® KM3's in 275/65R20. Going from the 21's these are an inch bigger diameter. That equates to about 3.2%. The weight (68lbs) and rolling resistance are going to eat my range.

Last edited:

Sponsored

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
More pics would be awesome! Yeah, I was a little concerned about the weight, but since I'm sticking with the Rivian-variant of the Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts and shaving weight off there, I don't think the weight of the steel wheels is a deal breaker.

FWIW, my overall savings should be ~$1800 compared to buying the A/T wheels/tires from Rivian. That money is buying me rock sliders :)
Sorry, just saw this. Will try to get some more pics for you this evening. Yeah, I saved about the same picking up a set of mounted and balanced tires/dodge rim set from detroit wheel and tire.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T

here you go!
Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 356DCBA9-0C66-4003-A790-298F0B0A2438
Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 36C5A92D-4376-43C9-A961-F4446C01C02E
Rivian R1T R1S Random 20 Inch rims (cheap) for snow tires 6AE654D8-C24B-438A-8BBC-0984A0F9DC92

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
sweet! yeah, I don't think that protrusion is bad at all ... and you have no issues with tires rubbing the fenders on the lowest ride height?
I have not done much driving on the lowest ride height yet this time of year, but I have definitely not noticed any rubbing on low, or when it has been in 'kneel' mode.
Sponsored