RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
This is the first of three new product announcements from RIVIPARTS over three days.
Please follow my account to get updates and look tomorrow and the day after for the next two.

Hello my dudes!

Today I'd like to officially announce the RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Ball Mount. This is a new version of, "The Best Rivian Phone Mount Available Today" that attempts to solve the steering wheel obscuration problem by mounting on the left side of the wheel. Initially, this will only be available in 17MM size.

This new mount installs at the very top of the driver side air vent, just outside of where the steering wheel blocks the view, but still within reach when you need it. It's made of two parts - a mounting plate that is wiggled just in front of the motorized fins (never touching them) and ball mount portion that has a flexible, unobtrusive L which rides on surface of the dash pad and is inserted between the pad and the A pillar trim. These two bits are then bolted together via an M5 bolt and nut and are remarkably stable with fewer vibrations than even my PRO mount.

Photos of the prototype installed along with an inexpensive LISEN MagSafe phone holder + an iPhone 13 Pro with an Otterbox Lumen case:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount IMG_1194 (1).JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount IMG_1193 (1).JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount IMG_1192 (1).JPG

Additionally, when this is pared with the Scoche OBD II to Quickcharge 3.0 USB plug, you are able to install charging mounts in a completely inconspicuous way:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount IMG_1205 (2).JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount IMG_1206.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount IMG_1197 (1).JPG

(Scoshe mount is the glowing red bit under the steering wheel)

First and foremost, STL files for this are available RIGHT NOW at the following link - https://www.printables.com/model/379321-riviparts-left-side-phone-ball-mount. You are VERY encouraged to download the model, print it, and install it at no cost. You'll also need a 35MM M5 flat head bolt and nut, but those are commonly available at most hardware stores.

For folks who do not have a 3D printer, these will also be for sale on RIVIPARTS.com for $14.50 at the link below. If you're uncertain if you prefer a left or the existing PRO mount, I'll also offer a $25 bundle deal for both.

Preorders for this product will open on Friday (around noonish, Eastern) and shipments will start in early to mid February. Details, including more pictures are available below:

https://riviparts.com/#phoneleft

Feedback, as always, is very welcome. I'm happy to answer any questions that you have as well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Very cool concept, but since you asked for feedback... is there any way to tweak this design to move the phone up a tad higher and to the right to not block the air vent?

For a while I was using the Peak Design magnetic charger attached via VHB on the dash in this area: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/mounting-a-cell-phone-has-anyone-done-it.4636/post-206520.

Unfortunately it fell off in the cold weather. I think a solution like yours which clips into the dash but places the phone in this same location would be excellent.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Very cool concept, but since you asked for feedback... is there any way to tweak this design to move the phone up a tad higher and to the right to not block the air vent?

For a while I was using the Peak Design magnetic charger attached via VHB on the dash in this area: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/mounting-a-cell-phone-has-anyone-done-it.4636/post-206520.

Unfortunately it fell off in the cold weather. I think a solution like yours which clips into the dash but places the phone in this same location would be excellent.
When I was initially looking at this, I wanted to move it higher as well. A combination of factures such as the angle of the A pillar, and the top of the 'vent' being a solid piece (not an opening) influenced me to place it where it is. I think that you'll see is that I did pull the ball mount away from the dash however. Doing so ensured that it didn't impact airflow as much as being closer in, and it provided more flexibility as to the mount one could use.

Because this is a standard 17MM mount, you have loads of options as to the phone holder you can attach to it. There are three specifically that I recommend if you are concerned about airflow. Each allows for additional offset in mounting location. (and they work with the 17MM Pro mount as well!)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09R1G19K5?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y2CXKG5?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y2N3P55

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount 61-nibWLFZL

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Looks very solid in your video. I have never used a left hand mount for a phone, but maybe I will have to give it a try.

Tarkus

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Lincoln Mark LT & '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Occupation
Outdoor/Indoor E911 Wireless Engineer
Looks like a nice alternative to my left side window suction mount I currently use in my company provided '21 Hybrid minivan.

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount 20230119_125036

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Is this the Scosche of which you speak?

Scosche Universal 5.ft USB Hard Wire Kit with 18W USB-A QC 3.0 Port and OBDII Connector OBD2QC3-SP https://a.co/d/cu562gt

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Is this the Scosche of which you speak?

Scosche Universal 5.ft USB Hard Wire Kit with 18W USB-A QC 3.0 Port and OBDII Connector OBD2QC3-SP https://a.co/d/cu562gt
That's the one!

Install is super easy and it has a pass-though so it can remain installed. The OBD port is pretty high up in the drivers footwell, so unless you're rocking Ronald McDonald shoes you won't even be close to bumping into it.

I popped off the side panel and the left bit of the lower dash panel. From there, it's easy to feed the cable and wedge it under the steering wheel. There is foam there which holds it in place.

You can see the panel clips to the left and up from the bottom in this photo. The Scosche cable is in red:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount IMG_1097.JPG

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I guess the power to the OBDII port shuts off eventually once the truck goes to sleep?

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Any tips on how to pop open the bottom panel?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I guess the power to the OBDII port shuts off eventually once the truck goes to sleep?
I believe it's governed under the same power down setup as everything else inside. Even if it isn't, as long as you're not actively charging anything from it, you'll be A-OK.

Any tips on how to pop open the bottom panel?
Yep - you need to pop off the side panel and pop-off the bottom two clips connecting it to the bottom panel first then you can tug the bottom panel downward. You don't need to remove all of the bottom panel, just the few that clips to the left of the steering wheel as shown in the picture above. I also removed the side panel from behind the weatherstripping to make it a bit easier.

Here is another photo showing the two clips that connect the side panel to the bottom one:

Rivian R1T R1S NEW - RIVIPARTS Left Side Phone Mount IMG_1098 (1).JPG

ssincl3

First Name
Sanjay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Nice, simple, and subtle addition to be able to use a phone in the truck. Makes me disappointed again knowing that the vehicle has two huge screen with lots of real estate and no way to mirror or use you phone on there. Beating a dead horse I know.

Schmurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Clubs

Is this going to be available in a 1" version?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Is this going to be available in a 1" version?
Yes. Launch plan is similar to the PRO. It should follow the 17MM by a few weeks. I generally do this so I can estimate volume as the 1" model is lower in that regard (3:1 or 4:1) and a bit more expensive to make.

Schmurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
Clubs

Great, I just ordered the original, and already have a ram mount, but I like that the left side doesn't obscure the screen/is not obscured by the steering wheel. I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks.
Sponsored