Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

How are more people in this thread not commenting about the range increasing based in this supposed update? They just did that in the last update. I know several people claim to not have seen this increase in that update so I’m curious if this one is just fixing an issue in the previous one or if they really are increasing the range yet again. I mean 328 right now for the R1T is pretty good compared to where it started…
I haven't seen mine go up yet. I suspect it's due to the cold here and running winter tires causing it to consistently use more energy than the EPA ratings. I also haven't seen it go down though, so it's likely Rivian is only allowing it to creep up from use and not down. Even in this situation, this next update will make my numbers higher after a reset since more of the pack is available.
Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

What sucks for me is, every other update the truck knows I'm home. Every other update, it expects me to drive just slightly further.

Really, they need to move "home" to a GPS location, not just an address. My driveway is pretty long, and while MapBox (or rather, OpenStreetMap) actually knows this—and is one of the few sources I've seen that does—it's still sometimes off by a tiny bit.

It would be much nicer to pull into your driveway and/or garage, and click a button that says "THIS is home", then it could ignore map data for home/away and even navigation details.

Edit: Turns out the did add this, I just missed it in the release notes. Tap on Nav App -> Star -> Pencil -> Home -> Current Location.

Now I'm not 100% sure this will make a difference, since if you wait a second, the coordinates for Current Location change to my address, but I'm hopeful that under the hood it remembers my exact coordinates.
They did this in the last update, and it fixed things for me. My driveway is about 1000’ long, and now my truck properly knows when I’m home

martinb8

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
My understanding is that the range improvements were incrementally implemented over several past updates. This update just fixes the guessometer calculations so that the new range is reflected on the dash. No?

EDIT: I forgot that this OTA also increases the allowable DoD. That means even more range is unlocked. I wonder if the nominal all purpose (21" wheel) max range will now go beyond 328mi. My full SoC range ESTIMATE is already at 326 mi.
@Marchin_MTB we’ll see. I only saw the increased range over the last month and only when in conserve mode. I can’t remember if that the mode you had to have it end to see the max range (I assume so).

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Am I reading the notes right that range improved on this?

Right now it's about 125kwh usable on a 135kwh battery. I'm assuming they increase the usable portion?
The large pack has been confirmed to be 141KW gross (average) by several reliable sources (Munro tear down, also if you add the capacity of each Samsung SSDI cell X # of cells , plus it is printed on the pack assembly . The usable capacity I have heard quoted by Out of Spec Kyle as 126 but I think he would confirm this is only an educated guess based on rough testing parameters. Earlier this week I read an article that quoted a battery benchmarking lab as stating it had 135KW usable.
Either way after 8 months of ownership, 18K miles and in cold temperatures my R1T has greater range than when I took delivery. In this respect Rivian has indeed over delivered.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I haven't seen mine go up yet. I suspect it's due to the cold here and running winter tires causing it to consistently use more energy than the EPA ratings. I also haven't seen it go down though, so it's likely Rivian is only allowing it to creep up from use and not down. Even in this situation, this next update will make my numbers higher after a reset since more of the pack is available.
Honestly I am not sure anymore, I do feel like my range has improved with this update but my trip meter which I reset after the last update is at like 1.75 mi/kWh but yet my GOM at full is up to 289 miles (AP on 20" AT) which is the new EPA. Then I saw this report yesterday which is a GOM of 398 miles (Conserve on 21" AT). @SeaGeo was speculating a bug, I now believe he was right.

Regardless will be interesting what this new update does.

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone here received the 2023.2 update yet?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Honestly I am not sure anymore, I do feel like my range has improved with this update but my trip meter which I reset after the last update is at like 1.75 mi/kWh but yet my GOM at full is up to 289 miles (AP on 20" AT) which is the new EPA. Then I saw this report yesterday which is a GOM of 398 miles (Conserve on 21" AT). @SeaGeo was speculating a bug, I now believe he was right.

Regardless will be interesting what this new update does.
Many YouTubers have been showing trip reports lately where the mi/kWh consumption was accurate, but the energy used was way off...by upwards of 1/3 of what was actually consumed. Wouldn't surprise me at all if that led to erroneously increasing assumed range when full.

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
What I find amusing is how two updates ago, they said they fixed an issue with range estimation where if you swapped wheels and had your car's configuration changed to match, the range didn't take that into account. And they did. Then the 47.0 release came out, and that broke again. So they're fixing it in this next one...again.

But still, I look forward to seeing what my *actual* estimated range is on the 20" ATs. Because right now, a 70% charge is showing that I'll go 219 miles, which is what it showed when I had the 21" all-seasons installed, still.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Has anyone here received the 2023.2 update yet?
I don’t think it will be out for another two weeks or so. Usually, beta builds are employee/internally tested for any bugs before release to the public

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I don’t think it will be out for another two weeks or so. Usually, beta builds are employee/internally tested for any bugs before release to the public
I'd say tomorrow it starts rolling out. Historically it comes later in the week after the new app release.

Sponsored

jwkest22

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S (Coming Soon)
Occupation
Risk Analyst
I'd say tomorrow it starts rolling out. Historically it comes later in the week after the new app release.
Does anybody recall the actual timing between app versions 1.8 and 1.9 and the corresponding vehicle OTA updates being rolled out?

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Weird... I have 2022.47.0 and just received 2022.47.02... What's the difference, and why now?

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Weird... I have 2022.47.0 and just received 2022.47.02... What's the difference, and why now?
The release notes have the answer to #1.

For #2 - Because it was ready?

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A