First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
See that’s the thing…I don’t think I was paying any attention back then…and it was brand new when they brought it to me. My original truck had the tick/tock as they all do and so did loaner…but don’t remember anything with suspension. I hope to get a loaner next month when I take my truck up to Austin and will definitely be scrutinizing it.
haven’t got the cv/spline tock yet. Truck still at SC. They did say they were lubing them…preventative maintenance?
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
haven’t got the cv/spline tock yet. Truck still at SC. They did say they were lubing them…preventative maintenance?
I’d imagine so…mine has become more of a clunk unfortunately. I think they need to be replaced. Especially drivers side. I suspect that some of what I feel is suspension travel is actually related to the shaft moving on bumps etc.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I’d imagine so…mine has become more of a clunk unfortunately. I think they need to be replaced. Especially drivers side. I suspect that some of what I feel is suspension travel is actually related to the shaft moving on bumps etc.
I have that hope. As replacing half shafts would actually be something hopefully Rivian would do to fix these thunking noises. It also sounds like it could be a upper control arm bushing with just a bit too much slop, or something like that.

OP
OP
computertom

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
Commuted home in my R1T this evening. A few thoughts.
  1. It’s not “fixed.” It is definitely quieter than the loaner though. It was actually really good to have a comparison R1T for the last 8 days.
  2. They called it “normal”, but went through it… not really sure what that means. I took another video tonight and will give it a comparative view / listen to the before videos I have (and the loaner and the BRaptor).
  3. Seems the alignment is significantly better. It was pretty off before from delivery. How it passed QC, I’ll never know.
  4. I definitely prefer the dark interiors to the light / white interiors. Just kept feeling like I was going to ruin it… :)
  5. They did fix the other delivery issues I had, so now the truck is as tip top as any other R1T as far as I can tell and that does make me happy. So that’s a win.
So does anyone in the Eastern MA area have a “quiet” R1T or S? I’d love to experience one…. I’ll come to you.

Last edited:

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
SC Update- engineering decided the front drive unit needs to be replaced. I believe this unrelated to the front driver side noise but I asked then to check all bolts and wiring harness attachments on that shock tower. I watched part of Munro’ s teardown video and there’s a lot there that if loose could make noise.
the reason for the drive replacement is for some annoying drive/gear noise I was getting. Best way to describe is this eh, eh….eh.eh…..eh..eh.eh……eh sound while On freeways in conserve and using driver+. It happens on slight decline when it’s floating between slight power and slight regen. I recreated similar conditions with the loaner and it didn’t happen.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
SC Update- engineering decided the front drive unit needs to be replaced. I believe this unrelated to the front driver side noise but I asked then to check all bolts and wiring harness attachments on that shock tower. I watched part of Munro’ s teardown video and there’s a lot there that if loose could make noise.
the reason for the drive replacement is for some annoying drive/gear noise I was getting. Best way to describe is this eh, eh….eh.eh…..eh..eh.eh……eh sound while On freeways in conserve and using driver+. It happens on slight decline when it’s floating between slight power and slight regen. I recreated similar conditions with the loaner and it didn’t happen.
Oh great…mine does the exact same thing…that neutral area between regen and acceleration…along with the clunking when getting on/off accel/decel.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Oh great…mine does the exact same thing…that neutral area between regen and acceleration…along with the clunking when getting on/off accel/decel.
I expected to hear ”that’s normal”. Just happy I have a loaner truck since this will take another 9-10 days.
good luck!

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Same here.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Angie, the Bellevue SC manager, just called. I had requested the manager call me about another issue. Let her know about the ever expanding noisy frontend thread on the forum and how we all find this unacceptable and not 'normal.'
I’ve found Angie to be very helpful and accommodating!

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I've got some minor squeaks but no real clunks. Every now and then I can hear something slightly mechanical, but its not as bad as described here. I think I got lucky?

Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
SC got me a loaner on 20 AT. Haven't driven it that much yet but have driven on the roads that the front is noisy on my truck. I wouldn't say it's noise free from the clunky sounds but definetly better.
It has 1800 miles on it. Haven't checked vin yet

Update:
Still have loaner with vin 111xx. Now with a little over 2000 miles on odo.
It does have some frontend noise similar to mine but maybe not as bad. Definetly noticed it on the local Rivian club drive on forest service roads...lots of potholes. Loaner has a similar pull to right and steering wheel 3-4 degrees to left.
Angie and team fixed my lopsided suspension and pulling to the right. Picked up the truck yesterday and the drive home was night and day to the drive in. Suspension needed calibration and alignment was way off on two wheels - one in the front and one in the rear.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Angie and team fixed my lopsided suspension and pulling to the right. Picked up the truck yesterday and the drive home was night and day to the drive in. Suspension needed calibration and alignment was way off on two wheels - one in the front and one in the rear.
Good to hear! Hoping I have the same results. They give you a reason for the droop?

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've got some minor squeaks but no real clunks. Every now and then I can hear something slightly mechanical, but its not as bad as described here. I think I got lucky?
Just seems overly harsh in soft setting on low and standard heights for me. its really squeaky during high humidity days and quiets down in the cold, making me think its bad bushings.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Good to hear! Hoping I have the same results. They give you a reason for the droop?
Similar to the alignment, it came from the factory out of soec, it seems. They calibrated it and testing it over a five day period at different heights. They used tape to see if any drops occurred. Angie also said the suspension is cycled during the alignment process as well.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Today I had to park in a tight space. So I put it in off road max height...to minimize chances for a dent.

When I returned, I put back to all purpose normal height.

Maybe I am losing my mind, but it seemed alot worse than usual. Sounded like someone with one of those wood block percussion instruments on many bumps. I moved suspension back to high and then to sport low. Then back to all purpose regular. Noise went back to my "normal". Which is to say it does it, but only on pretty large bumps and pretty rough roads. For bit it seemed it was doing it on every little tar line almost.

Oh well....maybe this vehicle will make me lose my mind or maybe I am transitioning to that and a movie can be made about it someday. Like Sutter Island or something....
Sponsored