Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I live in Marion, MT. No cell service and only CenturyLink DSL. How is that going to work for me? Updates only when I go to Kalispell where there is cell service? If updates are at night, do I have to go to town and stay the night every once in a while? I guess that they cannot cover every buyers needs. When Starlink is up I should be good to go - no pun intended.
Have you looked into StarLink satellite? A lot of my off-grid friends are beginning to get it and so far the reviews are really good. WAY better than Hughes.

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
I’ve always gotten Tesla loaners from Tesla service. Except once when they didn’t have any and asked if I’d “settle” for a Maserati. It was fun to hear a throaty exhaust again!
1 time when my Jag was in service they gave me a Land Rover
SMART
I enjoyed it
Made me think about a trade up
Dealerships that don't are foolish
Another time I was given a base model Jag and I felt like wow Jag builds this garbage
That Dealership has downsized its building it is now a tiny little place behind Tesla
So they are parking the electric Jags in front of Teslas Xs
It's a slap in the face to Jag
IS IT JUNE YET

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Amazon has a little over 100 warehouses in the US. One happens to be in a city near me, but I suspect the vast majority of people don't care where they are when they want something from Amazon. Why would I care where Rivian's service centers are other than a curiosity since *they* are the ones that will take care of it from my-driveway to my-driveway?
If I am 200 miles from home and my vehicle breaks down, I do not order a new part from Amazon. I have to get roadside service, have my vehicle towed to a service location and either need to get a loaner or a rental car. That all takes a lot of time.

I am thinking back to many years ago I drove from Phoenix to Flagstaff to go skiing. My truck had an electrical ignition failure after just starting back home. Go it towed to a garage about 10 miles from where I broke down, after sitting in the cold for almost 1 hour. They did not have the part so could not fix it until the next day. I am assuming Rivian will have a service center in Phoenix, but in that case it would take them at least 3 hours to get to me. While many people hate the dealership buying experience, the one advantage of dealerships is that they are everywhere, even in small towns for performing service, and they stock the most common parts needed for repairs.

So I not only want to know where these 40 centers are, but what is the plan for expansion in the future? Or offering partnerships with other companies to do repair work.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Let's consider for a minute though...

The Dealership model as been around 100 years. When you first bought a Ford, what was that experience like? If you lived in Flagstaff, you probably had to drive to Phoenix to get service. Dealerships and their service centers didn't magically pop-up in every city.

We are in the infancy of the EV, direct-to-consumer model. This is going to take time. In the meantime, find a coffee shop or a sports bar and hang out while they drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff to get our R1 and drop off your loaner. Before the Tesla service center in Jacksonville, FL opened, you had to drive or get towed to Orlando. There are Tesla owners in Port Orange that roll the dice between Jax and Orlando....1.5 hours each way.

Give it some time.

Sponsored

ESTRUCK

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV-Kona EV+ORDERED R1T-Canoo PU-SilveradoEV
...or maybe in the spirit of making sure you will never want to drive an ICE again as you anxiously await the return of your Rivian, the loaner you get is a 1978 Ford Mustang II w/ a 2.3L 4-cylinder complete with Fred Flintstone-rusted out floor pans and no AC.
I beg to differ .... I bet the loaner is .....

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Service / Remote Care - Official Info Release! YUGO 1

tisodom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent, Toyota Hybrid, Lexus GX
This sounds pretty much like the service I received for the first 4 years of owning my Model X. However, they no longer offer the valet service and now you have to drive to the service center. Hopefully Rivian has a plan to maintain this level of service for the long term, and not just during initial growth phases.

This is a way to get buyers who live away from a service centre and otherwise not get a Rivian be assured that they will receive appropriate care should something go wrong. This seals the deal for me. I had put my deposit but wasn't sure if I'd go through with it - now I will.

Polestar, which was a second car that I was seriously considering told me that if anything went wrong, I'd have to arrange to have it shipped from Calgary to Vancouver (1100 km, around 700 miles) and they would refund me the shipping if it was found to be 'something under warranty'. Absolutely pathetic. Clearly I have not gotten a polestar. This is partly why some companies fail. I'm pleased that Rivian appears to be a company with a broader understanding of what it takes to succeed long term by not catering to a few select markets.

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

Have you looked into StarLink satellite? A lot of my off-grid friends are beginning to get it and so far the reviews are really good. WAY better than Hughes.
I have had Starlink as part of the beta for several months now which has been an ginormous improvement over Centurylink DSL. Only problem is I live in the woods and I have several huge fir trees within the obstruction window that cause intermittent disconnects. They just sent an email last night indicating that they will be pushing an update soon that will have the dish switch to an available good connection satellite when it encounters an issue on its current connection which should provide a marked improvement over its current algorithm of following a set connection pattern. I may still need to harvest some trees, but will see what improvement the update brings. I just hope Starlink and my Rivian play nice.
Sponsored