Sponsored

Camper for the R1T -- what can I safely and reasonably tow?

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I haven't gotten to take a trip yet, but have one planned for President's day weekend in late Feb. From what I've read 55 MPH yields much better range than 80 MPH, not overly concerned with the weight of trailer being well under the 11K tow rating. In general, the Airstream is much more aerodynamic when towing in my experience. I've got a friend with a similarly sized/weight Lance that I take trips with often, many times we've been setting up and he comments how bad the wind was on the trip and I never noticed it at all. We both have been pulling with similar Land Cruisers ..
Sponsored

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I have not towed with a rivian yet (the rivian adventure network will probably be fully built out before our order comes up!) but I have towed a trail manor 3326 (4000 lbs dry) and a full height travel trailer of essentially the same weight and length (Jayco Jayfeather 22bhm, 4200 lbs dry) with the same underpowered vehicle, so I was able to get a pretty good feel of the additional drag from the full height trailer. We would average around 12mpg with the trail manor and 10 or less with the Jayco while (trying) to go 65 mph. Maintaining highway speed was much easier with the trail manor, but we switched because of a few downsides. The biggest was set-up and take-down and the fact that you can't access anything in the trailer when it's closed, so during stops you can't just pop into the trailer. Also now when one of the kids desperately needs to go to the bathroom we can easily pull over at a safe spot. Another is weather tightness; even though it has hard sides there are still flexible seals (and gaps). We like to camp in the desert, but spring and fall means perfect days but usually chilly nights, and the wind can really howl. We've done a few longer trips but most are only about 100 miles away so the efficiency hit was worth taking for us.

Also with the wd hitch: once it's set up properly it's not much extra effort to hitch up, and with the above trailers my 4runner is very stable; even in some crazy cross winds there is no sway.

Rivian R1T R1S Camper for the R1T -- what can I safely and reasonably tow? 20140519_145800

Rivian R1T R1S Camper for the R1T -- what can I safely and reasonably tow? 20200801_140317

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I have not towed with a rivian yet (the rivian adventure network will probably be fully built out before our order comes up!) but I have towed a trail manor 3326 (4000 lbs dry) and a full height travel trailer of essentially the same weight and length (Jayco Jayfeather 22bhm, 4200 lbs dry) with the same underpowered vehicle, so I was able to get a pretty good feel of the additional drag from the full height trailer. We would average around 12mpg with the trail manor and 10 or less with the Jayco while (trying) to go 65 mph. Maintaining highway speed was much easier with the trail manor, but we switched because of a few downsides. The biggest was set-up and take-down and the fact that you can't access anything in the trailer when it's closed, so during stops you can't just pop into the trailer. Also now when one of the kids desperately needs to go to the bathroom we can easily pull over at a safe spot. Another is weather tightness; even though it has hard sides there are still flexible seals (and gaps). We like to camp in the desert, but spring and fall means perfect days but usually chilly nights, and the wind can really howl. We've done a few longer trips but most are only about 100 miles away so the efficiency hit was worth taking for us.

Also with the wd hitch: once it's set up properly it's not much extra effort to hitch up, and with the above trailers my 4runner is very stable; even in some crazy cross winds there is no sway.

20140519_145800.jpg

20200801_140317.jpg
What do you get in the 4Runner without a load in tow?

Thatā€™s been a tough decision for us, do we just bite the bullet and go bigger. Having slides, changes the comfort level tremendously.

Sponsored

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
What do you get in the 4Runner without a load in tow?

Thatā€™s been a tough decision for us, do we just bite the bullet and go bigger. Having slides, changes the comfort level tremendously.
If going about the same speed, I would say around 17mpg.

I would have liked a slide but the weight jumps up a lot. The nice thing aerodynamically for the trailers I listed is they are both 7 feet wide instead of 8 feet.

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
If going about the same speed, I would say around 17mpg.

I would have liked a slide but the weight jumps up a lot. The nice thing aerodynamically for the trailers I listed is they are both 7 feet wide instead of 8 feet.
So basically the Trailmanor gets you 70% of your original, whereas the Jayco gets about 58% or less of your original.

That tracks with the general range hits, which would project to about 210mi/174mi respectively in the Rivian.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I've considered the same thing. Unfortunately, 5th wheel trailers won't work. The Rivian has a towing capacity of 11,000 lbs. My search has basically cut that in half, including cargo. Pretty much looking for around a 4500 dry weight trailer. Next on the list is finding one with the most aerodynamic front. Air is another big factor in impacting range. A squared off trailer in front will impact range notably more than a rounded off trailer.

I figure with 5500 lbs and a decent aero trailer, I would be able to get around 50-55% of stated range. 150 miles would be acceptable for my use since we can usually find chargers within 150 miles of each other. I have my limits. 400 +/- miles is about as far as I'm willing to go in an EV. It's still convenient time wise to drive/charge an EV. I don't mind one or maybe two stops. But, 3 or more stops and you're costing yourself hours of time.

I wouldn't dare put a camper on the Rivian. Most are hideously ugly. Makes the truck top heavy. And with just a 4 1/2 foot bed, the size of the camper has to be so small, it's just not worth it. Plus, campers are a TON more expensive than travel trailers. You can get 5 times the space for 1/4 the cost in a travel trailer over most campers. Add that to the fact that they're a pain in the rear to put on, not to mention high risk of damage to the truck when putting them on. And the convenience of arriving at your campsite, you simply disconnect and have full use of your truck. With a camper, you have to pack it up to go anywhere each time.

The appealing thing of camping with an EV is being able to power the RV for several days. Other than possibly running an RV AC unit, the Rivian will handle all other RV trailer needs.

For a camper, you wipe out your cargo capacity and at best, can maybe get 8 feet in length. Range will probably take a bigger it because of aero. Most don't have full bathrooms. An 18 to 22 foot trailer can generally sleep at least 6, have full bathrooms with grey and black tanks. Fully self sufficient. Camper, you have to use a portable toilet and go dump your own crap. Maybe can sleep 3 in them. Lose practical use of your truck. Have no space to move around.

At best, I would consider a camper "SHELL" more for secure storage on any truck. Otherwise, campers on a truck just require too many sacrifices and are at least 4 times the cost.

Several companies make ultra-light RV trailers in the 4,000 to 4,500 lb range. I think that would be the sweet spot.

However, if an actual camper would serve your space needs, then you could get one of the tiny trailers that's 10-12 feet long. Still going to have more space than a camper and they probably weigh in the 2,500 lb range. You could probably get 60 to 70% range with something that small. For me personally, if I want an RV trailer, I want something that functions as a small home away from home. The 18-22 foot trailers offer A LOT of utility and space.

While most campers are north of $75,000, you could pick up a 20 foot trailer for well under $20,000. Seems like a no brainer. I personally can't find a logical reason why a camper would make more sense?

My two cents

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I think I'm this thread, camper=travel trailer ;)
My wife loves the Casita and scamp trailers, but she's 5'4 and I'm 6'6! Plus it would get real cramped with 3 kids!

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
My wife loves the Casita and scamp trailers, but she's 5'4 and I'm 6'6! Plus it would get real cramped with 3 kids!
Thatā€™s exactly how Iā€™ve been referring to it. TT/Camper. A roof top tent or bed camper is eliminated for us.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Many moons ago I really liked the idea of a trail manor - the ability to put it in my garage - I just couldn't really find one. Some a state away - but they seemed to lack the amenities of a regular trailer. I totally forgot about not being able to get inside when down and not being able to take dook when I feel like it. That last thing is great when travelling. Just pull over and do your thing.

I suppose if we are rocking the Rivians, we like to buy nice things and burn money. I know this is not the 300K tax credit cut off discussion, but I would stick with a 20 foot regular trailer - hopefully ultralight - with a slide - and be done with the torture and save lots of money.

Even the damn teardrops can get expensive - they have no space - and some you cannot dook in it. A regular trailer should have storage and all the shit you need to hitch and go. You sacrifice space and the ability to dook and you are really living out of your car.

I am completely not convinced some of the aero trailers out right now are worth the premium they command. What is another 10 minutes at a charger to save 50% on something that is built like shit anyways and loses value every year. Cheaper well maintained trailers are easy to sell. Premium ones, not so much and you will take a complete bath when you sell it.

Sorry I get passionate. The dooking and showering is a big deal when I am camping in a trailer. Why else bring one camping...
We had a chance to pick up a used trailmanor 3326 for really cheap last week. We ultimately passed because of the setup.

We decided that if we needed to charge, thereā€™s no way Iā€™m setting up for 15 minutes. It would be time to go by the time Iā€™m set up.

Further, we would likely stop when weā€™re tired for the night as weā€™re looking at multi day trips. I couldnā€™t see trying to set that up in the middle of the night.

That said, weā€™ve been eying a couple of Hi-Lo travel trailers which seems to offer that aero but much more conveniently. The drawback is the weight, and the space compared to a like sized trailer with slides.

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
If it was cheap enough - you could give it a try and simply resell it this summer!

You definitely are looking at the right time. ->I am in the PNW - Since you are behind me [location on your avator] , I am just assuming you are in a mid temperature cloudy region and not Arizona, Florida or somewhere you can swing year round camping.
If Iā€™m behind you and youā€™re in the PNW, would I be in Alaska?

Iā€™m in climate zone 5, which is slightly colder than youā€¦so still behind you.

I find the best time is actually around Sept. Right before folks sign contracts for winter storage. Around this time itā€™s slightly slim pickings.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I was never a huge camper, but my kids are turning out to be and constantly asking us to go. The tents work but Iā€™m ready for a camper to make things a little easier. I started shopping for what we want before I stopped and realized...I know nothing about towing a camper.

Some of the camper forums have pointed me to some guides, but many of them are telling me that I really need a 3/4 ton truck and that a small pickup won't do, but obviously most of them are not familiar with the R1T (nor the Lightning) so I'm reaching out here to hopefully get some insight from experienced campers.

I usually fall into the camp off - it worked, it's good. But if I'm going to be on the road with my family then for this time around I'm in the camp of - just because it worked doesn't mean it's ok.

So being on the cautious side, what can I safely and reasonably tow? Especially as a first timer who doesn't wan't to end up selling something that was too small or too big because it was too much or not enough. Right now the ones we have been looking at have been about 28-32ft approximately...
If you can spring for it, Light Travel Trailers | The Traveler | Happier Camper, the 17' has lots of flexibility due to the adaptiv system. Also has the best toilet option, the Laveo Laveoā„¢ Dry Flush Electric Toilet | The Waterless Toilet (dry-flush.com). We almost went there but decided to do glamping with a big popup tent. We did get our own Laveo, though. If I didn't have two big dogs, I'd probably go for the HC1 Studio . They've certainly got the right tow vehicle on their website. Check it out, looks good: Light Travel Trailers | HC1 Studio | Happier Camper

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Iā€™ve got an Airstream 23CB, they make one with a bunk over the rear bed that would sleep 5 ā€¦ mine doesnā€™t have this and would be cramped IMO (especially at 6ā€™6ā€). Itā€™s 4700lbs dry and super aerodynamic though, pulls like a dream. Might check out the Oliverā€™s, like a larger Casitaā€¦realize neither of these are cheap options.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/

OP
OP

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I just pulled the trigger on a used Hi-Lo 25c, picking it up next weekend. The claim is that it's 77% more efficient to pull, so I'm very curious as to what my mi/kWh will be.

Marketing materials always overpromise and of course electrics are different. That said IF this holds and a normal travel trailer is a 40%-55% range hit, then this would be between a 9%-13% range hit...seems VERY optimistic. I'd be surprised if it has less than a 30% hit but I'll be the test subject.

Rivian R1T R1S Camper for the R1T -- what can I safely and reasonably tow? 1676066313473

Rivian R1T R1S Camper for the R1T -- what can I safely and reasonably tow? Screenshot 2023-02-10 at 4.55.13 PM
Sponsored