Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Hey everyone, has anyone found the map system in an R1T to be junk unless there are no road issues?

This was the third really big pain in the butt and the worst by far. I was heading into San Francisco to meet friends for dinner, and the map sent me to the third street offramp, and that's the problem. I was stuck on King for over an hour with no way to get out of it.

I popped open Waze and found that there was a march on Market that had it shut down. the Rivian map had no idea there was even traffic in the area. If the map worked like every other map, I would have gotten off on 6th street and been able to avoid this mess.

It has been frustrating as hell to have my phone map open and running because I can't trust the Rivian maps.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I've had both great and terrible experience with the Rivian maps.

If there is decent cell coverage, I've found them to be decent. I've actually had the Rivian-suggested route actually BEAT the Google Maps time estimate by a decent margin.

If there is any connectivity or cloud service outage, however, the maps are BAD. It might spin and not calculate a route for 10 minutes. And one time it routed me on a highway for about a 10 mile loop for something that was maybe 1.5 miles away and best accessed by city streets.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

It has been frustrating as hell to have my phone map open and running because I can't trust the Rivian maps.
This is what many have resorted to. It’s unfortunate that we’re stuck with this workaround. If only we had a waze or google maps integration 🍿

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've had both great and terrible experience with the Rivian maps.

If there is decent cell coverage, I've found them to be decent. I've actually had the Rivian-suggested route actually BEAT the Google Maps time estimate by a decent margin.

If there is any connectivity or cloud service outage, however, the maps are BAD. It might spin and not calculate a route for 10 minutes. And one time it routed me on a highway for about a 10 mile loop for something that was maybe 1.5 miles away and best accessed by city streets.
👆 This

I've had the Rivian save my ass a couple times when Google didn't recognize a bridge was up but Rivian did so it rerouted me and kept me from a 30 minute wait.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I agree with your criticism. The traffic info in the Rivian UI is not good and only covers major highways in my experience. I've see this impact me in a number of instances, the most recent I was up on Mt Hood and checked the drive home and Rivian said 50mins, so started the drive and then hit traffic so checked Google and it told me 2.5 hours because it didn't see any traffic before HWY 26. The other issue with this is it will tell you to take side streets that it can't see the traffic and you end up in a worst situation.

Not to devolve this thread in to something else but this is why we need CP/AA, sorry Rivian you are not doing better.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Unfortunately I've found a great workaround...

First I open waze and check which route it wants me to go.

Then I open Rivian maps and see if it wants me to go the same route. If they're different I listen to waze, but they're only different like 10-15% of the time so far. Most of the time I get to use Rivian maps after that because it is so pretty and functional in the R1T.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Haven't encountered any protests with my Rivian so can't add anything there.

I agree with your criticism. The traffic info in the Rivian UI is not good and only covers major highways in my experience. I've see this impact me in a number of instances, the most recent I was up on Mt Hood and checked the drive home and Rivian said 50mins, so started the drive and then hit traffic so checked Google and it told me 2.5 hours because it didn't see any traffic before HWY 26. The other issue with this is it will tell you to take side streets that it can't see the traffic and you end up in a worst situation.
Rivian routed me a different way this morning than it typically would. My main roads are just two lane roads, no freeway at all. Main roads were slick so people were driving exceptionally slow and the routing system knew that so sent me down dirt roads I'd have no reason to take otherwise. They were totally fine and free of any traffic.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Rivian routed me a different way this morning than it typically would. My main roads are just two lane roads, no freeway at all. Main roads were slick so people were driving exceptionally slow and the routing system knew that so sent me down dirt roads I'd have no reason to take otherwise. They were totally fine and free of any traffic.
Yes the Rivian software can get it right sometimes, so in that sense I guess the title of the thread is a bit of hyperbole. That said in my experience I don't trust the routing from the Rivian when traffic is involved and will usually double check with my phone, so I agree with OP.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yes the Rivian software can get it right sometimes, so in that sense I guess the title of the thread is a bit of hyperbole. That said in my experience I don't trust the routing from the Rivian when traffic is involved and will usually double check with my phone, so I agree with OP.
I've never personally been routed into a nightmare scenario in my truck, but I don't doubt for one second that people will be. Every other mapping program I've ever used for long enough has failed me before.

Sponsored

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've had great experiences with the Rivian software here in Austin. It generally/almost always matches Waze's routing, but experience has made me not fully trust it. I'll still double check Waze before setting off if I suspect that the Rivian's routing might be a little off.

EVentually

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S5, Rivian R1T
Rivian maps are the worst if there is any traffic
There, fixed it for you.

The only redeeming feature is that it displays available chargers, but if you're already navigating somewhere, you can't add a stop for some reason.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

There, fixed it for you.

The only redeeming feature is that it displays available chargers, but if you're already navigating somewhere, you can't add a stop for some reason.
Horrible. I'm surprised anyone gets out of their truck alive after using the built-in navigation.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
If it's a long-ish journey, I always open Google/Apple maps in my phone to double-check. The other day it wanted to re-route me a weird way because of a bit of traffic. It didn't seem right and when i checked with Google Maps it was half the time and a shorter distance. I risked the shorter route and the traffic was nothing.

Bottom line, don't rely 100% on Rivian Maps.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I agree with your criticism. The traffic info in the Rivian UI is not good and only covers major highways in my experience. I've seen this impact me in a number of instances, the most recent I was up on Mt Hood and checked the drive home and Rivian said 50mins, so started the drive and then hit traffic so checked Google and it told me 2.5 hours because it didn't see any traffic before HWY 26. The other issue with this is it will tell you to take side streets that it can't see the traffic and you end up in a worst situation.
This is weird. I have seen times where I have traffic information on the military installation I work on. Small roads with very little traffic, and roads I'm not sure Google has data for...
Sponsored