Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That is the unit that I currently have but if Rivian's EVSE allows V2G, then I will give/sell to my little brother, as V2G is fairly important to me in Florida especially during hurricane season.
V2G is important to me as well, so I'm holding off on buying an EVSE until I know if Rivian's offering is designed to support it (either at release or potentially with an update in the future).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
That is the unit that I currently have but if Rivian's EVSE allows V2G, then I will give/sell to my little brother, as V2G is fairly important to me in Florida especially during hurricane season.
Seems like you are asking for V2H, not V2G.
V2H will allow you to power your home from the Rivian
V2G allows your utility company to "borrow" energy from you battery to balance demand.

Rivian R1T R1S What EV Charger will you Buy? 1617203296487

https://energycentral.com/c/ec/v2g-...n V2G the car,large power plants supplying it.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Sponsored

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Seems like you are asking for V2H, not V2G.
V2H will allow you to power your home from the Rivian
V2G allows your utility company to "borrow" energy from you battery to balance demand.

1617203296487.png

https://energycentral.com/c/ec/v2g-v2h-what’s-difference#:~:text=While in V2G the car,large power plants supplying it.
So how much home 'utility' can be had off a fully charged Rivian? In other words, how long could I power my fridge or furnace?

Thanks!
- sheydon, who didn't even know this was possible :)

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

So how much home 'utility' can be had off a fully charged Rivian? In other words, how long could I power my fridge or furnace?

Thanks!
IF,V2H is a thing, consider this...a Tesla Powerwall is 13.5kWh of usable battery. The Rivian is between 120-135kWh(not sure how much is usable and they have stated that the size of the pack has shrunk). Possibly equal to 8+ Powerwallls.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

Thanks!
Depends on your usage and what is in the circuit covered.

For instance, I average 14.4 k/wh a day so I could do my whole house for 1 week plus on a full charge.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

IF,V2H is a thing, consider this...a Tesla Powerwall is 13.5kWh of usable battery. The Rivian is between 120-135kWh(not sure how much is usable and they have stated that the size of the pack has shrunk). Possibly equal to 8+ Powerwallls.
And the cool part I left off...when you need to charge, you can drag your Rivian around for an hour and recharge, before you plug back in to the house....and when the power is back on...you can actually drive this whole-home battery backup system 0-60 in 3.0 seconds.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
How fast can your house go?
That depends on the magnitude of the earthquake, but pretty fast. It doesn't typically go very far though. If I lived on a hill, I might manage to travel farther.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
My charger purchase will depend on several things still TBD:
-Will Rivian allow me to schedule charging for off-peak hours just using the supplied cord?
-Will Colorado/Xcel energy move forward with their plans to subsidize EV home improvements of up to $500?
-Will the supplied cord allow me to maintain an acceptable charging level based on my driving habits?
-Will I get drunk one night and just order something called "Juice Box" because I know I'll be dehydrated in the morning?

Kunzene

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2022 Tesla Model 3 LR
Clubs

-Will Rivian allow me to schedule charging for off-peak hours just using the supplied cord?
I asked customer service this question recently. I would like to be able to schedule my charging during the daytime using excess power from my solar panels. CS told me the rivian app would allow this. When I asked if that was possible regardless of which charger I select, she could not answer yet.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I asked customer service this question recently. I would like to be able to schedule my charging during the daytime using excess power from my solar panels. CS told me the rivian app would allow this. When I asked if that was possible regardless of which charger I select, she could not answer yet.
I've never seen an EV that did not allow you to schedule a charge time start. One caveat - many are like the old mechanical timers for your lights, when 10PM (or whatever) rolls around, it will initiate a charge. If you plug in the vehicle at 10:15 PM, it won't start charging until 10PM the following day.
Most "smart" chargers will allow you to schedule charging as well. Some allow you to enter the time window you allow charging - typical for TOU customers (you can always override). Other connect to your utility and and gather the info to charge only at the lower cost times (once again, you can always override), and often allows them to delay charging during peak events (my utility pays me $50/yr to enable this).

I cannot see Rivian not having their EVSE set up for this - it is better for both the grid and the customer and fits with the vision put forth by Rivian. Details on how it is implemented will come in time.
Sponsored