Sponsored

Lucid Rolls Out New Leasing to End-Run Price Caps... Rivian to Follow?

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I am assuming Rivian will follow suit soon. Here is the email from Lucid today. No price cap, no income cap, simple capital cost reduction on lease.

Rivian R1T R1S Lucid Rolls Out New Leasing to End-Run Price Caps... Rivian to Follow? Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 15.31.50
Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Multiple automakers are using the leasing loop hole to offer $7500. Mercedes and BMW are doing the same thing.

Has Rivian started offering leases? At this point because of demand they don't have a lot of incentive to offer leasing programs.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Rivian canā€™t start offering leases until they get deeper into that backorder list.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Multiple automakers are using the leasing loop hole to offer $7500. Mercedes and BMW are doing the same thing.

Has Rivian started offering leases? At this point because of demand they don't have a lot of incentive to offer leasing programs.
Iā€™m surprised Lucid is leasing this early. They usually like to have at least a couple of years to get some history for what the residual value of the vehicles will be.

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
Iā€™m surprised Lucid is leasing this early. They usually like to have at least a couple of years to get some history for what the residual value of the vehicles will be.
No idea if they are offering good lease terms, but the market they are playing in (ultra premium sedan) have a lot of customers looking for leases. So they probably needed to offer a lease option to remain competitive.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
How can anybody know what residuals are? One minute they are sky high...next minute company falls apart and they are damn near worthless. Applies to Rivian too.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No idea if they are offering good lease terms, but the market they are playing in (ultra premium sedan) have a lot of customers looking for leases. So they probably needed to offer a lease option to remain competitive.
Lucid has a whole section for vehicles ready for delivery. Two week wait.
Rivian R1T R1S Lucid Rolls Out New Leasing to End-Run Price Caps... Rivian to Follow? Screenshot_20230120-190952

SFsoundguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Lucid Air Touring
Mercedes and BMW etc., already do the same thing. They take "your" 7500 credit and reduce the price of "their" car but really its just either split with you as you loos some of that 7500 when you return the car or its in the residual...

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
IRS needs to fix the interpretation of leases, to be limited to commercial leases only. Not consumer leases. Undermines whole purpose of US made cars getting a tax credit and/or income limits

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

With tens of thousands of waiting orders, I think Rivian has time to decide on incentives. They are already taking hits on pre-March 1 2022 orders.

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
With tens of thousands of waiting orders, I think Rivian has time to decide on incentives. They are already taking hits on pre-March 1 2022 orders.
We don't know how many orders they really have anymore, since they stopped dislosing that.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I was at the Lucid boutique in Denverā€™s Cherry Creek mall today. Honestly, that is a damn sweet lookinā€™ car with one of the nicer interiors Iā€™ve been in. I may have to give it a test drive some time soon.

Iā€™m not gonna buy one but Iā€™ll test drive is for as long as theyā€™ll let me šŸ˜

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Rivian offering leasing would elevate them to the grown-up car-maker category.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
This is interesting. Where does the money actually come from if not our taxes (reduction/credit)? If the mfg gets a credit from the govt then what do they have to lose? Let the good times roll!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
IRS needs to fix the interpretation of leases, to be limited to commercial leases only. Not consumer leases. Undermines whole purpose of US made cars getting a tax credit and/or income limits
Or better yet take out the BS income cap that is leading people to want to lease in the first place.
Sponsored