Sponsored

What surprised you - preferably in a good way?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

My most notable "surprise" was with the overall ride quality. Especially over speed bumps. I don't even slow down for them anymore. Other than a little "thump thump", don't even feel them when going over them.

The rest, pretty much expected after spending at least a full year reading and watching every review available.

My disappointments can be corrected via software updates and hopefully they will be, sooner than later. But the following are the two that most surprised me as I did expect better.....

1. Driver+ is way behind, especially in comparison to Tesla, but also in comparison to most other vehicles with driver assist systems.

2. Navigation relies too heavily on internet service. Choosing that first when searching for your destination. I'd rather if find the destination via hard drive and get it routed so I can be on my way, then add in the traffic info when it's available. As it is, if internet service isn't great, takes FOREVER just to route the destination. If you need to know what that first turn is because you don't know it yourself, annoying having to sit there and wait just to get started on my way.

The list beyond the three items noted above is VERY long, but they didn't qualify for the question being asked in terms of what "surprised" me. These are the only three I can think of that meet that criteria.
Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

I know this wonā€™t be popular but I like Alexa. Mostly for music but my family loves to play the games on road trips. I can ask her to things at home while I am out like arm the alarm or turn on lights when I come home. I donā€™t use it for navigation!
+1 for all the things others have noted.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
The wireless charger. After seeing all the bitching about it I told my wife to not even bother trying to use it. It works great for both of us. Sure it can slide off for a second with aggressive driving, but it takes all of 1 second to reposition it and reconnect. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and my wife has a Galaxy 9. Could be phone specific, but as far as I'm concerned it works great.

Ventilated seats. Can't wait for summer again when I plant my sweaty butt on them after biking/fishing for several miles. Like the heat too, but I've had that before so not as big of a deal.

Gear tunnel. Not exactly a surprise since we all obviously knew about it and saw it in every single video before getting our Rivians. But oh man was it cool the first time I had a comfortable seat to change my boots or eat lunch in the middle of nowhere.

Rivian R1T R1S What surprised you - preferably in a good way? 20220913_094747

Sponsored

Jemel

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The heated steering wheel and ventilated seats were game changers for me. I know other vehicles have had these but not one I was ever in!

The power and acceleration are mind blowing for me. I finally tried a launch a few months ago and nearly blacked out! My previous vehicle was a Model 3 (non-performance) and I thought that was fast enough! Of course my first vehicle was an 85 Mercury Marquis whose speedometer only went to 75 and could barely go 55 on the highway with it flooredā€¦

The last surprising thing (not so positive) was the GVWR of the R1S. A little over 8500lbs. Way heavier than I ever expected and my driveway is showing it. The garage at work has a limit of 6500lbs but I havenā€™t gotten a ticket yet - it looks like a normal SUV so I donā€™t think anyone gives it a second thought. Iā€™ve seen full sized pickups parked there, so my guess is itā€™s about keeping commercial vehicles out more than structural integrity.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
In all-purpose, soft suspension setting this thing is ridiculously smooth. I've driven in tons of vehicles and this suspension is just on another level. It really doesn't drive like a 7k truck.

A lot of people on the forum will say sports car, and for a truck, yes its about as close as you get. What shocked me was how smooth this thing could be when it wants to.

Also suspension related- there is really something for everyone. Its not like the dynamic chassis control in my old GTI- different modes truly make huge changes to the way this vehicle behaves.

2nd would be sheer amount of storage. Between the frunk and gear tunnel I have more storage then I did combined in my old car. That's not even mentioning the bed.

Last, fit finish and quality are outstanding for a new entrant. The truck has surpassed all expectations- only negative for me is infotainment.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
The heated steering wheel and ventilated seats were game changers for me. I know other vehicles have had these but not one I was ever in!

The power and acceleration are mind blowing for me. I finally tried a launch a few months ago and nearly blacked out! My previous vehicle was a Model 3 (non-performance) and I thought that was fast enough! Of course my first vehicle was an 85 Mercury Marquis whose speedometer only went to 75 and could barely go 55 on the highway with it flooredā€¦

The last surprising thing (not so positive) was the GVWR of the R1S. A little over 8500lbs. Way heavier than I ever expected and my driveway is showing it. The garage at work has a limit of 6500lbs but I havenā€™t gotten a ticket yet - it looks like a normal SUV so I donā€™t think anyone gives it a second thought. Iā€™ve seen full sized pickups parked there, so my guess is itā€™s about keeping commercial vehicles out more than structural integrity.
What do you mean about your driveway being affected by the weight? I have a guess, but Iā€™m a bit worried about that myself, actually.

Jemel

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
What do you mean about your driveway being affected by the weight? I have a guess, but Iā€™m a bit worried about that myself, actually.
Where the driveway meets the road thereā€™s a bit of a drop off. There are two potholes-to-be forming where I exit the driveway. I suppose itā€™s really more the road than the driveway though. When I moved into this house last May the driveway was pristine and the road was quite chewed up. Things have not improved, to say the least!

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

The last surprising thing (not so positive) was the GVWR of the R1S. A little over 8500lbs.
Well unless you are driving around all the time with the R1S loaded to the hilt with people and their cargo, you will not be tipping the scales at 8500lbs all the time, or ever. The curb weight is around 7000lbs +/-, depending on configuration (Off-road package, spare tire, etc.) from the factory. Still heavier than most passenger vehicles out there, but 8500lbs is getting closer to the Hummer EV territory which is a much bigger vehicle.

Sponsored

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
I was pleasantly surprised that i can fit my 14 foot inflatable paddleboard in the trunk after all.
This iSUP does not roll but folds and when i tried to fit it in the front trunk before, it would not. However, on my own R1T i was able to play with fitment a little and noticed that it does fit.
If it only could have the 12V socket in the front trunk as well, i would be happy.

Rivian R1T R1S What surprised you - preferably in a good way? 20230112_151829

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I was pleasantly surprised that i can fit my 14 foot inflatable paddleboard in the trunk after all.
This iSUP does not roll but folds and when i tried to fit it in the front trunk before, it would not. However, on my own R1T i was able to play with fitment a little and noticed that it does fit.
If it only could have the 12V socket in the front trunk as well, i would be happy.

20230112_151829.jpg
Yeah I wish they left it in the frunk and added a standard plug.

PS. Nice colour!

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
How important AA/CP is to people....

I know! I'm terrible! I'll stand over by the post for ritual stoning now. I'm sorry! šŸ˜†

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The thing that still blows my mind is that I'm NOT driving a truck or an SUV. This is a sports car that can do truck and SUV things. Not just the straight line performance (though that's pretty incredible) but the handling dynamics in the bends.

I'm fortunate enough to live right next to the Rocky Mountains and I have put this truck through its paces on mountain roads. The handling and ride combination is simply mind boggling for a 7100lb vehicle.
Sponsored