Sponsored

What EV Charger will you Buy?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I ordered the United Chargers new Alpha. Made by the Grizzl-e folks. It has a 7in screen and all sorts of apps. 40amp charge with plug in. It can be moved if needed. Well reviewed.
I’m genuinely curious, what did you find appealing about that unit? To me, it seems like it will just add unnecessary complexity and probably not last as long. Was there an app that you felt really added value?
Sponsored

James

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MDX, ACCORD
Occupation
Retired Teacher, Reading Coach
Inside EVS Tom Moloughney has reviewed the grizzle-e from the same manufacturer and had good things to say. The Alpha can schedule charging, meter usage and produce reports from its apps. Tom has done preliminary tests with the Alpha and is impressed.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Inside EVS Tom Moloughney has reviewed the grizzle-e from the same manufacturer and had good things to say. The Alpha can schedule charging, meter usage and produce reports from its apps. Tom has done preliminary tests with the Alpha and is impressed.
Lot’s of EVSEs do that. Don’t need a screen to get outdated and sluggish to accomplish that.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I’m bummed there is no 3-phase option.
I'm confused why you would want 3 phase? if using the onboard L2 charger only 2 "hot" wires are needed. I believe 208V 3 phase (using 2 hots) is compatible with some L2 chargers. You could buy a 3 phase L3 dc fast charger, I would assume, although it will likely cost as much or more than the vehicle it's charging.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Three phase power in a residential area is very uncommon in North America as I understand it. From what I have read level 2 charging power delivery is in general a better way to charge factoring the chemistry of the battery and longevity. There are many more in this forum who will get into details on this.

Its my understanding that I want to only use DCFC when I need it, not as a primary. The only reason I would use it is on a road trip to add range fast.

U100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This will be my first electric vehicle, so I’m new to the whole charger thing - but I’m thinking I’ll just have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and use the compatible charging cord that comes with the R1T. Other than a faster charging rate, what will I be missing out on by not installing a Rivian or other branded wall charger?

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

Other than a faster charging rate, what will I be missing out on by not installing a Rivian or other branded wall charger?
Nothing. You're exactly right, you'll just miss out on a little faster charging rate. And also not having your mobile charging cord in your car at all times. Really isn't necessary unless you're on a trip then you'd want to take it with you. I've charged my Tesla with the mobile charger at home for years. When I had a 2nd Tesla for a short period I installed a Tesla wall charger outside the garage for the 2nd vehicle. When I get the R1T I'll move the Tesla charger inside the garage for the Tesla and install a Rivian charger outside in its place.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This will be my first electric vehicle, so I’m new to the whole charger thing - but I’m thinking I’ll just have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in my garage and use the compatible charging cord that comes with the R1T. Other than a faster charging rate, what will I be missing out on by not installing a Rivian or other branded wall charger?
The included "portable" charge cable should be fine. The Rivian App will probably let you schedule charging, anyway.

Hard-wired EVSEs have some advantages -- such as faster charging and some have advanced features like circuit-sharing. If you don't care about them, then you'll be fine with the portable cable. Another benefit is being able to leave the portable cable in the vehicle for use away from home.

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Other than the 9mi/hr difference(which is a big difference depending on your use case) between the mobile charger and a Rivian or comparable 48A L2 EVSE, not much really. If Rivian allows V2G, you would possible lose out on that. Most, if not all of the smart stuff the chargers can do, can also be controlled through the Rivian app.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Another benefit is being able to leave the portable cable in the vehicle for use away from home.
Great point...Also, from previous conversations on the forums, NEMA plugs aren't really meant for constant plug insertion and removal. You will end up wearing out the contacts and causing a short or worse.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm confused why you would want 3 phase? if using the onboard L2 charger only 2 "hot" wires are needed. I believe 208V 3 phase (using 2 hots) is compatible with some L2 chargers. You could buy a 3 phase L3 dc fast charger, I would assume, although it will likely cost as much or more than the vehicle it's charging.
DC has no "phase"; it's Direct Current.

"Phases" are a characteristic of Alternating Current (AC). A standard residential 240V circuit in North America, for example, is two "hot" lines, each 120V potential to ground, oscillating at 60 Hz, 180 degrees out-of-phase from each other. Three-phase AC would have three "hot" lines, each 120 degrees out-of-phase from each other. You could use three-phase AC to power a DCFC EVSE -- but the EVSE would still rectify to DC.

In Europe (and other continents) the CCS Type 2 connector supports three-phase AC charging -- so the EV onboard charger would need to support three phase to use this.

The Weber Automotive YouTube Channel has a good overview of a Tesla onboard charger and shows the differences between two-phase (USA) and three-phase (Europe):

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Great point...Also, from previous conversations on the forums, NEMA plugs aren't really meant for constant plug insertion and removal. You will end up wearing out the contacts and causing a short or worse.
Yes, if you're going to use the included cable for your primary charging then I would suggest leaving it plugged into the wall and only removing it when necessary.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management