Sponsored

R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal?

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Great question. I wondered the same thing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Today marks the 7th day my R1T is has been sitting idle. The amount of wasted electricity is very disappointing to say the least. I will see what my local SC says when I drop it off this Friday. I completed an online repair ticket for this issue and to align some body panels.

-Vehicle lost 4.85 miles per day
-SOC started at 85% charge, now down to 73% (12% loss)

Rivian R1T R1S R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal? 5A3FDF0D-9CFF-4FCC-9944-548D248A05DD
Rivian R1T R1S R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal? E7F35665-1DC2-4852-998A-9349C3311317

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
Today marks the 7th day my R1T is has been sitting idle. The amount of wasted electricity is very disappointing to say the least. I will see what my local SC says when I drop it off this Friday. I completed an online repair ticket for this issue and to align some body panels.

-Vehicle lost 4.85 miles per day
-SOC started at 85% charge, now down to 73% (12% loss)

5A3FDF0D-9CFF-4FCC-9944-548D248A05DD.jpeg
E7F35665-1DC2-4852-998A-9349C3311317.png
I have been losing anywhere from 4-7% per day and last night lost 3% in a 12 hour period. This is with PAAK turned off at home, climate powered off, bluetooth turned off on my phone. So I finally decided it wasn't any wireless connectivity issue and started exploring other possibilities. I'm sure everyone is aware of the reddit user who had the bad frunk latch so thinking of that, I popped the frunk lid and took a look. In my case the trim piece that sits directly above the grill and is sandwiched between the frunk lid and grill was clearly not attached correctly as there were gaps at both the right and left sides. It looked like it was rotated several degrees. I just decided WTH, I'll pull the trim piece off and see what happens. I did that at 11:46 Eastern time and in the almost 8 hours since then I have not lost a single mile of range or percentage of charge and I've been checking every hour so the truck has been awakened multiple times. Sorry I don't have pics to illustrate how out of alignment the panel was but my expectation was that I was wasting my time by removing it in the first place. As with all things, YMMV but looks like I may be on to something with my situation.

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
I have been losing anywhere from 4-7% per day and last night lost 3% in a 12 hour period. This is with PAAK turned off at home, climate powered off, bluetooth turned off on my phone. So I finally decided it wasn't any wireless connectivity issue and started exploring other possibilities. I'm sure everyone is aware of the reddit user who had the bad frunk latch so thinking of that, I popped the frunk lid and took a look. In my case the trim piece that sits directly above the grill and is sandwiched between the frunk lid and grill was clearly not attached correctly as there were gaps at both the right and left sides. It looked like it was rotated several degrees. I just decided WTH, I'll pull the trim piece off and see what happens. I did that at 11:46 Eastern time and in the almost 8 hours since then I have not lost a single mile of range or percentage of charge and I've been checking every hour so the truck has been awakened multiple times. Sorry I don't have pics to illustrate how out of alignment the panel was but my expectation was that I was wasting my time by removing it in the first place. As with all things, YMMV but looks like I may be on to something with my situation.

Update: after 9 hours of losing no charge, I decided to put the trim back on just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I lost 4 miles of range and a percentage of charge within only an hour! So the trim is now back off and I will check again in the morning. Something very odd has occurred both times I've removed the trim. I am actually showing a gain of a percentage point each time I remove the trim piece. I brushed it off this morning as a one off but the same exact thing occurred this evening when I removed it. My working theory is that the trim piece is not allowing one of the components to think the hood is fully closed and turn off power completely. If that were the case I would expect one of the mechanisms to give up the ghost pretty quickly but I'm also not certain what components are powered to close the frunk, i.e. the latch may be completely mechanical and the struts are providing force with two separate sensing systems.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I will be thrilled if the root cause of my 4.85 miles a day of battery drain is that simple.

Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Update: after 9 hours of losing no charge, I decided to put the trim back on just to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I lost 4 miles of range and a percentage of charge within only an hour! So the trim is now back off and I will check again in the morning. Something very odd has occurred both times I've removed the trim. I am actually showing a gain of a percentage point each time I remove the trim piece. I brushed it off this morning as a one off but the same exact thing occurred this evening when I removed it. My working theory is that the trim piece is not allowing one of the components to think the hood is fully closed and turn off power completely. If that were the case I would expect one of the mechanisms to give up the ghost pretty quickly but I'm also not certain what components are powered to close the frunk, i.e. the latch may be completely mechanical and the struts are providing force with two separate sensing systems.
This is honestly really interesting info.

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
This is honestly really interesting info.

It's getting stranger and stranger... I've now gotten back 3 of the 4 miles I lost with the trim inserted. I wouldn't believe this was happening if I weren't experiencing it myself. I think the system is giving predicted values of the battery based on current draw and once I remove the trim the all the draw on the system is gone. It's also definitely going into a deeper sleep mode than I've ever experienced as the wake timed out twice the last time I checked it.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal? Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 20.49.24

Rivian R1T R1S R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal? Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 21.43.23

Rivian R1T R1S R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal? Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 21.48.50

Rivian R1T R1S R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal? Screenshot 2023-01-16 at 22.54.28

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I consistently lose roughly 2-4% per day sitting outside in Seattle. Past few weeks have been between upper 30s and mid 50s. Not too pleased.
camp mode was helpful when I was camping. Have not tried it at home...usually just plug in my level 2 to top off, but worth a try.

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
I will be thrilled if the root cause of my 4.85 miles a day of battery drain is that simple.

I lost a single mile of range overnight with the trim piece removed and I'm ready to declare victory. Now I just need to decide how to explain all this to rivian without them treating me like a crackpot.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I lost a single mile of range overnight with the trim piece removed and I'm ready to declare victory. Now I just need to decide how to explain all this to rivian without them treating me like a crackpot.
That’s awesome. Does your app say wake vehicle at the top?

Sponsored

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
That’s awesome. Does your app say wake vehicle at the top?
Yes, I've been waking it to make sure I'm not getting stale mileage readings though. I think I stated in one of my posts last night that it is now definitely going into a deeper sleep mode than before as the wake function was timing out and would take 2-3 attempts to get it awake and to the cabin climate view. Previously I almost always was presented with the cabin climate view on opening the app.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yes, I've been waking it to make sure I'm not getting stale mileage readings though. I think I stated in one of my posts last night that it is now definitely going into a deeper sleep mode than before as the wake function was timing out and would take 2-3 attempts to get it awake and to the cabin climate view. Previously I almost always was presented with the cabin climate view on opening the app.
Sounds like you have solved it. Do you have a pic of what trim piece you removed?

jpa5635

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Nerd
Sounds like you have solved it. Do you have a pic of what trim piece you removed?
5 clips and a tab on either side that slide under the side trim. The easiest way to remove is to unclip each side first then the middle clip and then the two remaining. The piece is thin and flexible so can pulled out easily.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T “vampire” battery drain concerns. Is this normal? IMG_0446

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
camp mode was helpful when I was camping. Have not tried it at home...usually just plug in my level 2 to top off, but worth a try.
Camp Mode is only helpful when you are opening and closing doors, it keeps things from cycling on. It does nothing different if the vehicle is left alone.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
5 clips and a tab on either side that slide under the side trim. The easiest way to remove is to unclip each side first then the middle clip and then the two remaining. The piece is thin and flexible so can pulled out easily.

IMG_0446.jpg
No idea what I am looking at here. Need a better explanation/guidance!
Sponsored