Sponsored

For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k?

Mickey

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I'd doubt it. I love my R1T!!!! However, I think the new price is way too much. So glad I got mine for $80K. That was still a high but more manageable price.
Sponsored

achanster

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX450H
Occupation
VP
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
I placed my order in April 2019. Took delivery of an explorer pack R1T in June 2022. I absolutely love this vehicle. After 5k miles driven we ordered the R1S for my wife and will pay the extra price and without tax credits. With the competitive landscape of what I see out there in the same price range I don’t see anything that touches the Rivian products for value. As for service, I’m accustomed to the Lexus experience which is decent but Lexus never came to my house to do anything. I recognize Rivian as a special company with amazing products and backed by an inspiring company vision/mission. I think RJ is the kind of guy everyone can love, especially when you compare to someone who is so polarizing like Musk. I believe in Rivian and look forward to the long hold on her stock.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I am not driving my vehicle yet, but based solely on cost I do not think I would purchase a Rivian post-price increase SOLELY because my absolute limit for what I'm willing to spend on a vehicle is in the $75-80K range (and even that seems silly, but hey YOLO). If any car was in the $90K range or higher I'd personally be priced out no matter how good it is.

WPRogersR1S

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Medical
Nope. With far less moving parts electric vehicles should not cost what they do. Elon Musk’s wealth is proof of that. Their markup is off the chart. Yes I bought one anyways but a model 3, kept the options to a minimum. I’m sure this will all change when the monopoly is over. The younger generation strives to get rich overnight. Just my thoughts.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Nope. With far less moving parts electric vehicles should not cost what they do. Elon Musk’s wealth is proof of that. Their markup is off the chart. Yes I bought one anyways but a model 3, kept the options to a minimum. I’m sure this will all change when the monopoly is over. The younger generation strives to get rich overnight. Just my thoughts.
Yea, electric motors + a giant lithium filled battery pack costs are totally equivalent to a V8's cost. :facepalm:

Sponsored

puppers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, FL5 Type R, A91MT GR Supra
Have an order for a R1T, but the more I wait, the less emotional I become about it and the more willing I am cancel and wait for the used market to drop on them. I get the tech and practicality etc., but I feel Rivian is doing what Tesla did early on - using their more expensive vehicles to fund everything else, aka artificially expensive. I don't think that 92k is worth it.

Shaqdeez

First Name
Shaq
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mazda CX9
The more I wait the more competition arises the more I realize it may not be as good as a deal as it was even on the pre-Mar prices. At the end of the day what determines if it's a good value is what I could buy instead of it. At the time I placed an order there wasn't anything (besides Model X but not a big fan of the size for the family). But now with things ramping up across the different manufactures (eye on Kia EV9) it's just that much harder to believe it was worth it.

Timothykf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt; 2022 R1T Forrest/Black
Not a chance at $100K. Don't forget the taxes you'll pay.

I received my pre-order end of Sept '22 and have 7k+ miles on the truck (four months). I've used for towing, hauling and daily driving. So much better than my '11 Silverado. The quad-motors are over kill, fun but rarely needed. I'm an EV fan for around town - where they shine. Long trips are a pain, not because of Rivian, because of the charging network and finicky chargers. Made a trip to pickup college student for Christmas Break (800 mile round trip). First long trip. It sucked because of charging. Took an extra 2 hours. On his return, I took wife MDX. One fill-up and home in 11.5 hours. EV's have a ways to go ... don't just add more batteries, only makes them heavier and less efficient!

This truck is a beast when towing. But your not going to go far. Was pulling a 26' pontoon to storage, acceleration is amazing. Traveling at 70mph and decided to move to 80, I was easy. No hesitation to find a gear, rev to accelerate ... was at desired speed in seconds opposed to minutes. Additionally, the huge mass of the truck makes you forget you'r pulling a load.

I replaced my daily driver ('19 Chevy Bolt with 60K miles). The Bolt was like a souped-up golf cart. Fun to drive, quick, nimble and enough storage space for my needs. The truck is the same and all the added space. It is a truck though and not very efficient. The Bolt gets 4+miles Kw where as the Rivian is less than 2 miles. 99% of the time I'm in conserve mode.

Would I consider purchasing another Rivian? After they work out more of the little quirks and issues, defiantly. But it is not a $100k vehicle, regardless of inflation. Fit, finish, and luxury; aren't there yet.

muchugless

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, GLE350, WRX STI, Wrangler
It's a great question, but as others have said you should forget pre-March pricing. It's like your grandfather telling you a case of beer used to be $5. Great, but who cares?

The order of questions should be: (1) are you able/willing to swing a ~$100k SUV? If so, (2) is the R1S the best choice for you (range, towing, passenger volumes, etc) among both EV and ICE competitors? The R1S seems to hold its own in the competitions that I've read in C&D, etc.

FWIW: I have an R1T at pre-march but would pay post-march. For me it is the best balance of size, capability, and an awesome drive. But I can see others with a different use case (e.g., towing longer distances) going with an ICE alternative, and GM's EV trucks are coming soon(ish).

Reactions: Jac

puppers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, FL5 Type R, A91MT GR Supra
Have an order for a R1T, but the more I wait, the less emotional I become about it and the more willing I am cancel and wait for the used market to drop on them. I get the tech and practicality etc., but I feel Rivian is doing what Tesla did early on - using their more expensive vehicles to fund everything else, aka artificially expensive. I don't think that 92k is worth it.
And I just cancelled my order. I cannot see the value at 92k. Maybe when prices drop into the low 80's, which is still a stretch. If they would've given me shop access even at updated prices, I might've bit. Oh well.

Sponsored

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX460, Porsche Macan
Occupation
Sales Engineer
For those who have taken delivery of R1S at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? Awkwardly asking if you love the R1S enough to have paid the new price. If any R1T owners want to give their opinions that would great also. thanks
For me, absolutely it is worth it! I took delivery of my LE R1S mid Nov. 2022 and currently have 4500 miles on it. I feel as if I got a steal at LE pricing for everything you get with this vehicle. This is the first EV I have ever owned. I love it! The technology is amazing and some of it I can no longer live without. For example, no keys. Just having my phone with me and my vehicle recognizing my proximity is such a nice feature.

This is a great combination of all the best vehicle I have ever owned and I have owned some amazing vehicles (Wrangler, 4Runner, BMW X-5, Lexus GX 460, BMW 6 series grand coupe, Porsche 911 and Cayman). I am amazed at the quality and solid feel of the R1S for Rivian’s first (ish) vehicle.

Rivian R1T R1S For those who got R1S (or R1T) at original approximately $78k would you buy one for new price of approximately $93k? IMG_0983

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Based on replies, I am worried about Rivian making it.

The R1T is a very nice truck, but the new price sounds to be a NO for a lot of people.

Sales could really struggle in the new economy, i.e. shrinking stock market, recession.

The company can't survive selling only 50,000 trucks a year.

How are they going to build a new plant in Georgia, if they can't sell what they have coming out of Normal.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Based on replies, I am worried about Rivian making it.

The R1T is a very nice truck, but the new price sounds to be a NO for a lot of people.

Sales could really struggle in the new economy, i.e. shrinking stock market, recession.

The company can't survive selling only 50,000 trucks a year.

How are they going to build a new plant in Georgia, if they can't sell what they have coming out of Normal.
I wouldn’t read the reactions here as a reliable predictor of Rivian’s real competitiveness at current pricing. I imagine you would get similar reactions if you asked a group of BMW iX reservation holders with locked in pricing if they would still buy the BMW if their price was now $20,000 higher.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
I wouldn’t read the reactions here as a reliable predictor of Rivian’s real competitiveness at current pricing. I imagine you would get similar reactions if you asked a group of BMW iX reservation holders with locked in pricing if they would still buy the BMW if their price was now $20,000 higher.
I have a Max Pack reservation from April 1, 2019. So I have a grandfathered price, while I wait.
I would cancel the reservation if I have to pay $90,000.

I have driven the R1T, and have been a fan since 2019, but for $90,000 I would really, really pause about paying that much. In fact, I wouldn't pay that much. (Maybe if it had 500 miles of range and had the Tesla charging network)

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Not a chance at $100K. Don't forget the taxes you'll pay.
I love being able to buy vehicles with no sales tax, yearly property taxes and $50 yearly registration. In the last three years that’s saved me about $30k.
Sponsored