Sponsored

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
I’m probably most surprised by the corrosion warranty. Somewhat short for a warranty with so few claims historically but I guess they’re worried about you people taking these swimming in brackish water to get to your fav fishing spot.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I’m probably most surprised by the corrosion warranty. Somewhat short for a warranty with so few claims historically but I guess they’re worried about you people taking these swimming in brackish water to get to your fav fishing spot.
I suspect you're right about Rivian's fear regarding brackish water. I'm always perplexed when I see videos of folks cruising along the beach, occasionally splashing through the salt water. I don't think you ever fully remove the salt from that kind of saturation exposure.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
So what happens if a battery overly degrades? Can it be replaced on these trucks or is it completely integral to the frame? If my truck has 69%capacity at 7 years are they totaling it?
I imagine they can swap battery packs out. Why make it so it totals the truck or you have to swap an entire skateboard?

Truckee_Riv

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Lexus, F-Type
Occupation
InfoSec
I like the warranty, however my concern is a bit different due to how many American car companies go bankrup…What happens if god forbid Rivian goes bankrupt? What happens to the warranty?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I like the warranty, however my concern is a bit different due to how many American car companies go bankrup…What happens if god forbid Rivian goes bankrupt? What happens to the warranty?
Your warranty will have about the same value as my Enron stock.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
That depends on what type of bankruptcy (among other things). Tesla and Ford are the only American Car makers not to declare bankruptcy. GM and Chrysler customers did not lose their warranties during the bankruptcies.

If the manufacturer of your vehicle goes completely out of business, you are likely SOL (DeLorean comes to mind).

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I suspect you're right about Rivian's fear regarding brackish water. I'm always perplexed when I see videos of folks cruising along the beach, occasionally splashing through the salt water. I don't think you ever fully remove the salt from that kind of saturation exposure.
Everyone can probably thank New York for the abbreviated perforation warranty. Brackish water is nothing compared to the amount of rock salt dumped in NY. Driving between December and March means your car will be salt crusted white regardless if it's launch green from the factory. I wash my car weekly in the winter but it's coated already in the 3 miles back home anyway. Ironically you can loose traction in all the loose salt on the roadway. This is why it doesen't matter if you have a $20K Civic or a $120K M5 it will last 12 years in NY if driven daily.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Worst case scenario, the warranty would probably be worthless. But the worst case is rarely the actual case. For example, GM went bankrupt in 2009, but they restructured and survived. Warranties remained in tact and were honored.

Rivian has financial backing from some major players -- Amazon, Ford, Soros, Fidelity, Baron, BlackRock, etc. It seems unlikely they'll be going anywhere in the next few years. They've got financial runway.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Everyone can probably thank New York for the abbreviated perforation warranty. Brackish water is nothing compared to the amount of rock salt dumped in NY. Driving between December and March means your car will be salt crusted white regardless if it's launch green from the factory. I wash my car weekly in the winter but it's coated already in the 3 miles back home anyway. Ironically you can loose traction in all the loose salt on the roadway. This is why it doesen't matter if you have a $20K Civic or a $120K M5 it will last 12 years in NY if driven daily.
I watch the South Main Auto YouTube channel. Eric puts out some fantastic videos! His shop is in rural New York. The rust and crud he deals with is insane. I cringe at the idea of putting my car through that. He sees 8-10 year old cars that are already ready for the crusher.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Trandall,

I had no idea it was that bad there with the salt. With all of the chemical formulations out there to de-ice the roads, I'm stunned to hear salt is there go-to answer. Doesn't all that salt just raise Hell with everything? I'm guessing that the City may not be concerned about personal vehicles (sadly), but it sure can't be good for things like busses, police, emergency, and all other civic vehicles, nor any of the bridges in and around the area. That has to be a spendy consequence. I use salt for steak, eggs, and Margaritas, but thats about it. My doctor says it's good for my low blood pressure and soft arteries.

Sponsored

Truckee_Riv

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Lexus, F-Type
Occupation
InfoSec
My point being if and when Rivian is sold or the investors exit, would the warranty be as valid as Enron stock? I cannot see the absorbing company taking over the Rivian warranty? See AMC, Hummer, DeLorean, Saturn…

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My point being if and when Rivian is sold or the investors exit, would the warranty be as valid as Enron stock? I cannot see the absorbing company taking over the Rivian warranty? See AMC, Hummer, DeLorean, Saturn…
Hummer/Saturn warranties were still honored, afaik.

I don't know what happened with AMC when Chrysler got ahold of them.

DeLorean warranties were probably worthless, just because they actually shut down operations, rather than be absorbed by another manufacturer.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Sold will entail purchasing assets and liabilities. Warranty obligations fall in that category. Not sure what you mean by "investors exit".

None of this is specific to Rivian, if any company of any product you own goes under, so goes your warranty.
Same holds true for those 3rd party auto warranties.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sold will entail purchasing assets and liabilities. Warranty obligations fall in that category. Not sure what you mean by "investors exit".

None of this is specific to Rivian, if any company of any product you own goes under, so goes your warranty.
Same holds true for those 3rd party auto warranties.
Correct except if its related to a Safety Recall, by law they have to honor that part from experience
with my 2011 Saab 9-4x. Saab closed their doors in 2011/2012.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Trandall,

I had no idea it was that bad there with the salt. With all of the chemical formulations out there to de-ice the roads, I'm stunned to hear salt is there go-to answer. Doesn't all that salt just raise Hell with everything? I'm guessing that the City may not be concerned about personal vehicles (sadly), but it sure can't be good for things like busses, police, emergency, and all other civic vehicles, nor any of the bridges in and around the area. That has to be a spendy consequence. I use salt for steak, eggs, and Margaritas, but thats about it. My doctor says it's good for my low blood pressure and soft arteries.
It's that bad... upstate NY gets substantial snowfall, sometime ago (late 1980's) NY passed legislation requiring municipalities to have roadways cleared of snow within 24 hours of a winter storm to lessen the economic impact or reduced travel. To accomplish this salt is spread nearly continuously through peak snow season. And yes it destroys not just snow but everything else including natural flora/ fauna, bridges, government vehicles, buried utilities you name it. Where I live sacrificial "Winter beater" cars are commonly used from the end on November - April when the salt is washed away to preserve your good car. Neighboring states seem to be far more conservative with the use of road salt. I visit the PNW regularly and have noticed you use almost no road salt.
Sponsored