Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Metadata on the site suggests a targeted range of 700 miles and 2700 lbs payload. i'm extremely doubtful of the range, guessing that was meant for the hybrid they haven't announced yet.
Sponsored

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

The only thing I get out of this is that for all of the Rivian R1T ‘smart’ features, it has a really ‘dumb’ tailgate. Even the cheapest non-EV trucks have some functionality to their tailgate to make it easier to get into the bed but the Rivian has nothing. Obviously this Ram tailgate is a concept but seems like an area of focus to truck guys. Rivian needs to step up their game on the tailgate functionality.

PS: 1 point for the R1Ts goose-neck functionality.
Correct. I had a Honda Ridgeline prior to the R1T, and its dual action tailgate was the one thing that was far superior to Rivian’s. This is emphasized when accessing the bed trunk, and the Rivian’s gooseneck tailgate hinges make reaching over the tailgate worse, not better. So I give Rivian minus another point for the goosenecks.

Last edited:

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Correct. I had a Honda Ridgeline prior to the R1T, and its dual action tailgate was the one thing that was far superior to Rivian’s. This is emphasized when accessing the bed trunk, and the Rivian’s gooseneck tailgate hinges make reaching over the tailgate worse, not better. So I give Rivian minus another point for this.
The tailgate is one of the top 2 or 3 features of a pickup.
In my experience and reading F-150 Hybrid forums for 2 years, most owners never calc out their max load or max tow and couldn't tell you how. They buy a full size pickup for the bed and the luxury of the cabin and ride. Since the primary reason for a pickup is the bed … the tailgate is the star of the show. RAM has a split gate, GM/Chev has a multiple trick pony and Ford has a step. They're all powered and some have a backup camera that works with the tailgate down.
The R1T tailgate is … adequate.
I still haven't seen even one solution to the lengthy lift-over caused by the gooseneck.
Rivian had a dubious but interesting 180º tailgate idea (risky to have the tailgate painted surfaces drop below the bumper level) but at least it was an idea. Like too many ideas, it didn't make it from the vehicle they offered for sale to the vehicle they produced and delivered. I imagine some smart aftermarket company will offer a hinge kit to convert the R1T tailgate to swing, but the slow reaction of these vendors to do anything for the R1T suggests they just can't pursue a niche vehicle with a handful of owners who mostly bought a big four seat EV that's not a Tesla. : )

dp351

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ariel Atom, R1T
Clubs

The tailgate is one of the top 2 or 3 features of a pickup.
In my experience and reading F-150 Hybrid forums for 2 years, most owners never calc out their max load or max tow and couldn't tell you how. They buy a full size pickup for the bed and the luxury of the cabin and ride. Since the primary reason for a pickup is the bed … the tailgate is the star of the show. RAM has a split gate, GM/Chev has a multiple trick pony and Ford has a step. They're all powered and some have a backup camera that works with the tailgate down.
The R1T tailgate is … adequate.
I still haven't seen even one solution to the lengthy lift-over caused by the gooseneck.
Rivian had a dubious but interesting 180º tailgate idea (risky to have the tailgate painted surfaces drop below the bumper level) but at least it was an idea. Like too many ideas, it didn't make it from the vehicle they offered for sale to the vehicle they produced and delivered. I imagine some smart aftermarket company will offer a hinge kit to convert the R1T tailgate to swing, but the slow reaction of these vendors to do anything for the R1T suggests they just can't pursue a niche vehicle with a handful of owners who mostly bought a big four seat EV that's not a Tesla. : )
Although the Ridgeline’s (& others) tailgate is clearly superior to the R1T, the Rivian makes up for this by having a frunk & gear tunnel. If I had a spare tire in my R1T (which I should & eventually will) I wouldn’t be accessing the bed trunk often, and I’d use the frunk & gear tunnel for the things I used to keep in the Ridgeline’s bed trunk. So this isn’t that big of a deal, and thus perhaps it was smart for Rivian to control cost in this area.

I don’t think we’ll see an aftermarket tailgate swing hinge kit, because that would be a major structural change, which would be expensive & wouldn’t sell in big numbers. AFAIK this hasn’t been done with other trucks. I’d love to be wrong about this.

Electric619

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Nissan Leaf, Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Business Analyst
Ya this is quite the embarasment for a major manufacturer to in 2023 be showing a CGI truck with all sorts of concept car gimmicks as a "reveal".

At least with the cyber truck, something actually drove onstage.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Have an i3 - can confirm.

Suicide doors are awesome if you never park near anyone or anything else. But here, on Earth, where that is nearly impossible, they are useless.
LOL... one of the funniest moments we had with our i3 is when we went to a local restaurant and we had 4 people in the i3. Everything was good till the 4 of us had to get back in the car after dinner with cars now parked close to us on both sides. We literally had to sit there for a min. to try to figure out how we were going to get in the car... which was especially complicated by the fact that you have to have the front door opened in order to open the rear door in the i3. Those crazy suicide doors are one reason we almost never have a back seat passenger in the i3.

It's really cool to open the front and rear doors outward and see the unobstructed cab without that B pillar in between, but in everyday use, if you need to use those rear seats frequently... good luck ;)

Last edited:

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Although the Ridgeline’s (& others) tailgate is clearly superior to the R1T, the Rivian makes up for this by having a frunk & gear tunnel. If I had a spare tire in my R1T (which I should & eventually will) I wouldn’t be accessing the bed trunk often, and I’d use the frunk & gear tunnel for the things I used to keep in the Ridgeline’s bed trunk. So this isn’t that big of a deal, and thus perhaps it was smart for Rivian to control cost in this area.

I don’t think we’ll see an aftermarket tailgate swing hinge kit, because that would be a major structural change, which would be expensive & wouldn’t sell in big numbers. AFAIK this hasn’t been done with other trucks. I’d love to be wrong about this.
I disagree on the details.
I guess I should mention I'm fine with the copromises Rivian has made in order to bring their product to market in Jan '22. I think the IPO timing and the delivery of the first R1Ts has proven to be a decision that saved Rivian from perhaps never coming to market, quitting the R1, just making the EDV and maybe the R2 in '25.

The gear tunnel is proving handy, but a bit silly, especially in the snow. "Bed boxes" like the factory RAM option (but without being so wide as to sacrifice so much of the bed width) would be more useful for my purposes. Once there are accessories for the tunnel, it will be useful in its own ways.

The frunk is a 7/10 score from me. Ford, GM and I assume RAM all realized the frunk had to be a level load floor, not a high lift-over. Like the tailgate, it looks cool, the gooseneck hinges solve a problem of bed length, but at the too-high price of creating a long lift-over with no attempt to solve that replacement problem. I think it could be as simple as steps on both rear corners. AMP is yet to offer R1T fitment but they know we're here. I'm tempted to buy the F-150 product and get a fabricator to figure out where it can bolt on with no drilling. Presumably using the rear bumper attachment point.

e.g. AMP
https://realtruck.com/p/amp-research-bed-step/
Rivian R1T R1S 2024 Ram 1500 Revolution EV Pickup Truck Concept Officially Revealed ⚡️🐏 1673020322201

p.s. I was all set to get the Ridgeline as the family all-rounder except the engine and mpg were just nowhere near what I expect of Honda, which I think of as the "engineering" company of vehicle manufacturers. They can make the NSX and be the OG of disrupting the supercar niche. When it came to a pickup, I expect something with great mpg and high performance to make full size pickups look like what they've been till about 2020 when RAM said "forget convention, we're going air suspension and luxury cabin" … Ford and GM were compelled to catch up (I still prefer the F-150 and thank RAM for pushing the market.)

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
LOL... one of the funniest moments we had with our i3 is when we went to a local restaurant and we had 4 people in the i3. Everything was good till the 4 of us had to get back in the car after dinner with cars now parked close to us on both sides. We literally had to sit there for a min. to try to figure out how we were going to get in the car... which was especially complicated by the fact that you have to have the front door opened in order to open the rear door in the i3. Those crazy suicide doors are one reason we almost never have a back seat passenger in the i3.

It's really cool to open the front and rear doors outward and seethe unobstructed cab without that B pillar in between, but in everyday use, if you need to use those rear seats frequently... good luck ;)
Yep. Another "looks cool, bloody useless" idea. Great if you live in the great outdoors and never park in a garage with a rear seat passenger.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
According to the Motor Trend article RAM has already acknowledged that the suicide doors are just for the concept and meant to help show off the interior. The production version will have normal doors.
Well, that's good to hear.. they are just not practical for everyday use.

Among other things, that projector is 100% concept only. As anyone with a home theater projector will tell you, the seconds opens the blinds the show is over no less trying to use it in open daylight. Heck, I had trouble using my laser level past 20' outdoors on a sunny day last summer... I had to wait till dusk or an overcast day to use it at longer distances.
Also that "follow-me" feature, yeah.. legal will 10000% kill that before it even leaves the CGI stage.

I hope the 18' pass-thru stays, no reason that's not doable and the 800V system is great.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

It's really cool to open the front and rear doors outward and seethe unobstructed cab without that B pillar in between, but in everyday use, if you need to use those rear seats frequently... good luck ;)

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
If only marketing people had any shame. : )
I'm fine with all the gimmicks; that's not going away.
But you're dead right … they needed to drive a vehicle on a stage, preferably towing something enormous … then another drives up showing rear-wheel steering … then some corporate goof awkwardly walks around point at things and yammering on with superlatives and "best in class" … a truck unveil …

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
According to the Motor Trend article RAM has already acknowledged that the suicide doors are just for the concept and meant to help show off the interior. The production version will have normal doors.
This annoys me almost as much as their long, drawn out reveal process over the last year. After all of that at least show everyone what the truck will ACTUALLY look like🤦🏼‍♂️

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If only marketing people had any shame. : )
I'm fine with all the gimmicks; that's not going away.
But you're dead right … they needed to drive a vehicle on a stage, preferably towing something enormous … then another drives up showing rear-wheel steering … then some corporate goof awkwardly walks around point at things and yammering on with superlatives and "best in class" … a truck unveil …
Looking forward to their upcoming ‘stranded on the side of the road - RAM edition’ panic video :giggle:
…in 2025 when these are possibly available.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Well, that's good to hear.. they are just not practical for everyday use.

Among other things, that projector is 100% concept only. As anyone with a home theater projector will tell you, the seconds opens the blinds the show is over no less trying to use it in open daylight. Heck, I had trouble using my laser level past 20' outdoors on a sunny day last summer... I had to wait till dusk or an overcast day to use it at longer distances.
Also that "follow-me" feature, yeah.. legal will 10000% kill that before it even leaves the CGI stage.

I hope the 18' pass-thru stays, no reason that's not doable and the 800V system is great.
It was Bollinger who "invented" the front-rear pass-thru and I think it would be very cool in the "why not" category of design … it's maybe no game-changer (just get roof racks) but it's cool, could be handy, does no harm (assuming it's not an NVH resonate boom box.)
The follow-me is a simplified Tesla Summon. Should be fine. But Summon is nearly useless (in part because it's so slow, I just get in and move the X … getting it to back out of the garage is sometimes kind of handy … rolling away to dry ground after a wash is handy …
But with the REX, this is just another EV pickup concept. They didn't unveil anything except some wildly excessive new grill decorations.
Talk is cheap.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
This annoys me almost as much as their long, drawn out reveal process over the last year. After all of that at least show everyone what the truck will ACTUALLY look like🤦🏼‍♂️
Agreed, it is pretty stupid to build it in a configuration that 100% will no be produced.

I don't think Roman or Andre knew that during the video review?
Sponsored