Sponsored

Officially Unofficial R1T Power Tonneau Cover Redesign Gossip Thread

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

I chatted with CS today and was told that neither manual, nor powered tonneau can be retrofitted because they are removing the tracks as part of the redesign.. Can anyone corroborate?
Sponsored

Last edited:

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
It won't be. It will be panels that slide out and you put in gear tunnel. The current storage space will be wasted.

Same. He's actually easier to work with now than when I was waiting for my truck. According to him my quad motor max pack reservation was left with the unicorns out back and they forgot to put it in the R1 shop when I got access recently.
My only question is, if it's that simple why has it taken so long? I'm hoping they are trying something better...

Oh well, I won't store it in the gear tunnel anyways. I'll leave it closed 90% of the time and the 10% that I do need it for camping, hauling, etc I'll keep the panels in my garage. The gear tunnel space is too valuable to lose to tonneau panels.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My only question is, if it's that simple why has it taken so long? I'm hoping they are trying something better...

Oh well, I won't store it in the gear tunnel anyways. I'll leave it closed 90% of the time and the 10% that I do need it for camping, hauling, etc I'll keep the panels in my garage. The gear tunnel space is too valuable to lose to tonneau panels.
Yeah, it's been a bit confusing to me too. They way they've described it, it's basically four metal panels. Can't be that had to have a one-off prototype made as an example.

I had the same thought about storing it originally. If they're pretty thin they may not take up much room at all. We'll see.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I chatted with CS today and was told that neither manual, nor powered tonneau can be retrofitted because they are removing the tracks as part of the redesign.. Can anyone corroborate?
They must have been new. This makes zero sense.

They are removing the tracks as part of the redesign for the "no tonneau" option sometime this year. That means the "no tonneau" option will not be able to be retrofitted to accept a tonneau.

The manual and future powered will likely have tracks, it doesn't make much sense otherwise might as well go aftermarket.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
It won't be. It will be panels that slide out and you put in gear tunnel. The current storage space will be wasted.
Well, one man's "wasted" is another man's "donated to the aftermarket." Maybe we could convince @builtrightind to built a little lockable compartment that goes there 😜

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Well, one man's "wasted" is another man's "donated to the aftermarket." Maybe we could convince @builtrightind to built a little lockable compartment that goes there 😜
If it's reasonably accessible still.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Some interesting info from CS when I asked about adding manual tonneau post-delivery of no-tonneau build. For a limited time, you can get a no-tonneau build with tracks and add the slits later through the Gear Shop.
This may be an opportunity for people to get an extra factory-only option (pricier exterior color, interior, ppf) and stay under the 80k IRS Tax Credit purchase price threshold. No info on the redesigned powered tonneau.
For the time being all trucks will come with the bedrails, so you can purchase the manual tonneau cover slats through the gear shop later if you want

At a time in the near future (TBD) the trucks will no longer automatically come with the bedrails, and one will have to make sure they select the manual tonneau cover so that those rails come from the factory. If not, the option to install the manual tonneau cover would not be available

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Well I am bummed... I changed my config from max pack to large yesterday. I communicated with my guide that I would wait for the powered tonneau redesign... and today I got my 8 steps email and had to contact my guide to be unmatched... If only they would retro fit...
You guys who are refusing delivery until you get a powered tonneau are doing people like me a huge solid. By holding strong you’re reinforcing how important of a feature that powered tonneau is and making it so Rivian will keep it going instead of abandoning it.

Sponsored

pathfinder2

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 4runner, KS S18
Occupation
Software Design Engineer
You guys who are refusing delivery until you get a powered tonneau are doing people like me a huge solid. By holding strong you’re reinforcing how important of a feature that powered tonneau is and making it so Rivian will keep it going instead of abandoning it.
I hope you are right but I felt that same way about the Max Pack and we saw how that went...

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I hope you are right but I felt that same way about the Max Pack and we saw how that went...
I don’t think there was near the pushback on that as their is the tonneau.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I have a number of service items accumulating. Mostly minor stuff, but in aggregate I think the truck will be there a while.

Since the SC is nearly 3hr away, I was going to wait until the tonneau fix came in before booking.

Service rep yesterday, when asked “are we looking at 3 months from now or 6 months from now?” Only answered “Second Quarter”. I think she then said that earliest would be April.

Q2 from Rivian means June 30th to me - at the earliest! - so I went ahead and booked for everything else. I also am starting to think I need to take advantage of their goodwill while it’s still there. They’ll only become less interested in fixing stuff. (Re: looking forward to 2023 email and towing changes)

So I’ll likely have to make a separate trip for a tonneau if/when it comes. The earliest Appt I could get was March 2, so there’s a queue to consider as well.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
Haven't seen this possible solution discussed anywhere...

Would it help to stop the slats from binding up if each slat had bearings near each corner to roll against the outside edge of the channels?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Haven't seen this possible solution discussed anywhere...

Would it help to stop the slats from binding up if each slat had bearings near each corner to roll against the outside edge of the channels?
It could maybe help but it doesn't do anything to solve the amount of force needed to stack the slats up.
Sponsored