Sponsored

Chances of R1S/R1T winning Motor Trend SUVOTY and TOTY 2022?

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
It’s perhaps somewhat early to be talking about this, but given that both the R1S and R1T will debut this year, I’m assuming they will be eligible to compete for the Motor Trend SUV and Truck of the Year awards. In the case of the R1S it would be the first electric SUV to win, even though there have been 3 previous EV finalists (Tesla Model X, Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-PACE). I’m thinking it’s stiffest EV competitor will be the Ford Mustang Mach-E, but on the ICE side the new Jeep Wagoneer might be a worthy rival too.

When it comes to the R1T, my thinking is that it will likely have a formidable competitor in the new Hummer EV (which probably will be available in time to be considered), but probably not the Lordstown Endurance or Tesla Cybertruck, as I believe they won’t come out in time. And does anyone know of significantly refreshed ICE trucks that might pose a significant challenge to the R1T?

One thing is true, though, if any of these two vehicles wins the award (let alone if both did), it would be a major achievement for Rivian, here’s hoping at least one of them pulls it off!
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It’s perhaps somewhat early to be talking about this, but given that both the R1S and R1T will debut this year, I’m assuming they will be eligible to compete for the Motor Trend SUV and Truck of the Year awards. In the case of the R1S it would be the first electric SUV to win, even though there have been 3 previous EV finalists (Tesla Model X, Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-PACE). I’m thinking it’s stiffest EV competitor will be the Ford Mustang Mach-E, but on the ICE side the new Jeep Wagoneer might be a worthy rival too.

When it comes to the R1T, my thinking is that it will likely have a formidable competitor in the new Hummer EV (which probably will be available in time to be considered), but probably not the Lordstown Endurance or Tesla Cybertruck, as I believe they won’t come out in time. And does anyone know of significantly refreshed ICE trucks that might pose a significant challenge to the R1T?

One thing is true, though, if any of these two vehicles wins the award (let alone if both did), it would be a major achievement for Rivian, here’s hoping at least one of them pulls it off!
echerod,

Maybe I'm an incurable optimist about Rivian, but they seem poised to be the first one, if not the only one to be on the road in any numbers this year. I wonder what the timing is for closing the door on this competition. Also, are there any sales volume requirements?

I think for at least one of those competitors you mentioned in your second paragraph, we have as good a chance of seeing a customer driving one on the road this year as we do of witnessing a Nikola hydrogen-powered semi driving uphill. Maybe ever. I'd gladly be wrong on all counts, but I don't think I am.

It would be outstanding to see Rivian take both awards, as well as taking the last-mile delivery world by storm with the new vans for Amazon.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
I don't think either Rivian will win. Journalists want to create buzz and controversy. Both Rivians look mainstream, even if their specs are not. Only we Riviots know what a fantastic pair of vehicles these are going to be. Journalists (or their editors) won't think their readers would get excited.

They'll name the Hummer, even if it isn't in production in time. (hmm, where's that 'gag me' icon?)

Sponsored

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
So Motor Trend has revealed the first 10 contenders for SUVOTY 2022, so far no mention of the R1S. Any guess if it'll be included? From what I understand the vehicle must be on sale by Jan 1 to be considered, which I guess should allow the R1S to participate, but I wonder if Rivian provided a sample for review. Hmmm...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-motortrend-suv-of-the-year-contenders/

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So Motor Trend has revealed the first 10 contenders for SUVOTY 2022, so far no mention of the R1S. Any guess if it'll be included? From what I understand the vehicle must be on sale by Jan 1 to be considered, which I guess should allow the R1S to participate, but I wonder if Rivian provided a sample for review. Hmmm...

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-motortrend-suv-of-the-year-contenders/
The R1S is next year because it won't be widely available in 2021, is what I believe MT said.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
Assuming the R1T is eligible, I have to believe it has a great chance of being named Motortrend truck of the year. They sure gushed about it in their reviews! I've read hundreds of Motortrend reviews (and many more from other automotive publications) over the last 25 years, and don't ever remember reading such consistently positive and superlative reviews as what the R1T has received. The Kia Telluride got great reviews, but mainly for high competence rather than being groundbreaking. I do hope the Rivian vehicles win the Motortrend award and many other awards, because it will help get the attention of people who otherwise might not consider an electric vehicle.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
The way the guys loved the R1T and took it for 43 days would lead me to wager a lot on the R1T winning.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

You know Rivian has paid a pretty penny for all that good press Motortrend has given them. I wouldn't put TotY pas them at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
The R1S is next year because it won't be widely available in 2021, is what I believe MT said.
You’re right—finalists were announced today and no R1S. It’ll have to contend for the prize next year. Nevertheless the R1T should have a strong showing next month. I’m guessing the Hummer will be one of it’s tougher rivals, assuming it’ll be eligible.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
You’re right—finalists were announced today and no R1S. It’ll have to contend for the prize next year. Nevertheless the R1T should have a strong showing next month. I’m guessing the Hummer will be one of it’s tougher rivals, assuming it’ll be eligible.
Agreed.

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
Strange, that's not what I got out of the article. My read is that they thought the Hummer neat, but just a parlor trick.

The photo finish is between the R1T and the Maverick.

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Finance
Strange, that's not what I got out of the article. My read is that they thought the Hummer neat, but just a parlor trick.

The photo finish is between the R1T and the Maverick.
Interesting, I guess we’ll find out Monday!
Sponsored