Sponsored

The great wheel debate 22's v 21s....

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I know this has been talked about a lot, but with the new snow mode, the ability to get snow tires in the 22" size, I'm leaning towards ditching the 21s for the 22s in my build.

I live in MN and will probably get dedicated snow tires with either size wheel, unless someone tells me the stock 21s are suddenly decent winter tires.

I saw the reviews with efficiency from Kyle, and the difference between the 22s and 21s was decently close, and I'm sure without the covers, they might be almost the same. I guess that leads to the ride quality. Are those of you with the 22s experiencing a rough ride? Anyone get 22" snow tires yet?
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I know this has been talked about a lot, but with the new snow mode, the ability to get snow tires in the 22" size, I'm leaning towards ditching the 21s for the 22s in my build.

I live in MN and will probably get dedicated snow tires with either size wheel, unless someone tells me the stock 21s are suddenly decent winter tires.

I saw the reviews with efficiency from Kyle, and the difference between the 22s and 21s was decently close, and I'm sure without the covers, they might be almost the same. I guess that leads to the ride quality. Are those of you with the 22s experiencing a rough ride? Anyone get 22" snow tires yet?
We’ve only had our R1T 3 weeks now. We live on the coast of NC but also head to the mountains frequently. We got the 22’s. With the latest software update we really like the All-Purpose with Firm setting. Feels like a nice compliant ride, not harsh at all. In driving the 20’s on a test ride, I thought they felt to floaty…aka Truck like which I don’t like. Just my 2 cents. As to the tires…my close friend has a 2022 Ram 1500 with 285/50/22’s. They’re the same Perilli as the Rivian 21 inch. We’ve had this in 6+ inches of snow in the mountains and it handled like a champ.

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
I am getting my R1T next week and just ordered the Michelin X-ICE 3 SUV tires in 275/50R22. Tirerack has them for $257/ea, so for just over a grand +tax and install, you can swap on some great winter tires. I was really looking for the Nokian Hakka R5 SUV's, but they are double the money and hard to come by right now.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I am getting my R1T next week and just ordered the Michelin X-ICE 3 SUV tires in 275/50R22. Tirerack has them for $257/ea, so for just over a grand +tax and install, you can swap on some great winter tires. I was really looking for the Nokian Hakka R5 SUV's, but they are double the money and hard to come by right now.
Those are the tires I was just looking at. Let me know what you think!

I think I'll just swap the tires on the stock rims if I do go down that route. On a RWD car I had years ago I did separate rims and that was fine, but I do worry about the TPMS with different rims.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I have 21s but had a loaner on 22s for a week, get what you want. The 22s were suprisingly compliant, definitely grippy, we liked them and the look. I still prefer the 21s and I drove on snow covered roads all day yesterday in all purpose and snow mode both no issues.

Last edited:

Sponsored

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Those are the tires I was just looking at. Let me know what you think!

I think I'll just swap the tires on the stock rims if I do go down that route. On a RWD car I had years ago I did separate rims and that was fine, but I do worry about the TPMS with different rims.
Will do. We have the x-ice 3’s on some other cars and they do quite well.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
I have the 22s and love’em…they are awesome as long as it isn’t snowing. My experience has been that they are NOT good in snow/ice conditions. Otherwise, the ride is good and handling is awesome. For my situation, I’ve elected to get a set of 20” Darks and just swap wheels/tires each season. Reports on the 21s are mixed…I just wasn’t a fan of the limited number of tire options.

If you’re picking a combo and want least $$$, the 20s are likely the best choice. If you don’t mind changes tires or tires/wheels, you’ll love the 22s…

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have the 22s and love’s…they are awesome as long as it isn’t snowing. My experience has been that they are NOT good in snow/ice conditions. Otherwise, the ride is good and handling is awesome. For my situation, I’ve elected to get a set of 20” Darks and just swap wheels/tires each season. Reports on the 21s are mixed…I just wasn’t a fan of the limited number of tire options.

If you’re picking a combo and want least $$$, the 20s are likely the best choice. If you don’t mind changes tires or tires/wheels, you’ll love the 22s…

Good luck!
I updated to the 22s. I honestly like the fact that they have more tire options, including snow tires, and I was never going to keep the aero inserts on the 21s, which probably negates the efficiency advantage.

Last edited:

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
This is precisely my plan as well! Tire rack just added them in stock. I like the look of the 22s the best and will swap these out just like I do on my Explorer Nov-Mar here in Colorado.

OP
OP
Redline

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m going to put the X-ICE on both our Rivian next winter, and my fiancés RAV 4 Hybrid.

Read a ton of great things about them.

Sponsored

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
The 22s on my R1T have felt very comfortable, but I'm also coming from a Model Y Performance with the Uberturbine wheels... that was a terrible riding vehicle configuration.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I love my 21” wheels— even with with aero covers. I think they match the aesthetic of the truck and my California old man city and road trip driving. Coming from an old Tacoma with 17” wheels I was worried about the aesthetics of giant wheels but they look proportionate to the truck and the sidewall isn’t as small as I assumed it would be. The 22” sidewall looks teeny! It’s an insanely quiet tire and the range is as advertised. I’m positive the 21” wheels and tires, paired with the drive modes, will get my family up to big bear for a snowy weekend trip.

BourbonDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE EL CAP BM 22SB, BMW X7, Ford Exp Max
Swapped out the original 22" rubber for Blizzaks last week. Significantly more grip on snow covered roads.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

I’ve had both. There’s no questions the 21 is a smoother ride.

The 22s will be harsher. The 22s in all purpose soft will be similiar to the 21s in sport soft.

On 21s I used to ride in lowest, sport soft, stiff on occasion. On 22s I’m almost always in all purpose standard. Soft or stiff. Hope this helps

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For what it's worth, I ordered the Michelin X-Ice 22's today and was able to get the lower price via TireRack, but the pricing increased after Christmas and now they are almost $300 per tire...

Rivian R1T R1S The great wheel debate 22's v 21s.... 1672256863585
Sponsored