First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Porsche 911, 2017 Porsche Macan
Occupation
Retired
Not sure this hasn't been already said. I was told this just the other day.

"The maximum interior cargo volume behind the second row is 1436 liters or about 50 cubic feet for the five-seat configuration and 1323 liters or about 46 cubic feet for the seven-seat configuration with the third row folded. There's plenty of space for your pups! Keep in mind that the second row can slide forward and backward to create additional space as need as well."
Sponsored

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Tesla Model Y, and LE RS1 - Hopefully!
Clubs

R1S 3rd Row Leg Room:
I just talked with CS and they let me know that the R1S's

"third row legroom is spacious, even for someone who is about 6 foot tall like me! The legroom measurement for the third row in the R1S is 832 mm. "

So that is 32 3/4"
for those not into measuring things in mm.

For reference, my 2017 Yukon XL has 3rd row leg room of 34 1/2" and the Yukon (non XL version) has 3rd row legroom of only 24 4/5". So, that makes me feel pretty good about long trips!

EV-X Oregon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Volvo XC 60, BWM X5, Honda Odessey
Occupation
Principal Real Estate Broker
HOW FLAT IS "NEARLY FLAT"? Looking for confirmation as to "how flat" the rear of the R1S is with all seats folded down. I've seen mixed information, once from Rivian (somewhere) stating "completely flat," somewhere else maybe "nearly flat."

It seems like a huge oversight since they designed the skateboard battery pack as flat, but it could be a real problem didn't make all the rear seating fold completely flat (loading cargo, sleeping, large protective mat, etc).

Ideally, I would like to drive my "adventure vehicle" a few hours to the mountains and go camping. Maybe arrive at 9:00 p.m. on a Friday evening, sleep in the back of the R1S on a completely flat surface, have the R1S "auto level" itself with the air suspension to fix any terrain issues, and be able to adjust heating and cooling of the vehicle (aka Tesla camp mode) throughout the evening. Yes, I'd like to lay in the back of the R1S and look at the stars, just not with a lump, bump, angle or divot in my back.

Last summer I slept in the back of a Land Rover LR3, it worked great and was very comfortable. I also "tried to sleep" in the back of an Acura MDX with "nearly flat" seats, it was TERRIBLE! Heck my 1991 Volvo wagon had seats that folded completely flat as well, so practical that Volvo.

Lastly, on a wish list of mine... aftermarket mosquito netting to be integrated into a couple of window openings or moon roof would be cool too.

Rivian rear seats.jpg
YEAH BABY YEAH!!!
They've done it! I can absolutely sleep/camp within the R1S! 'AWESOME' Twitter post from RJ confirms flat fold down second and third rows. So excited to see this materialized/realized. No other boxes needed to check other than a trip to Costco to purchase a mattress topper, throw it the back of the R1S and I'm off to camping... Happy days.

Rivian R1T R1S 5 Seat versus 7 seat Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 8.15.22 AM

Sponsored

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

When we heard the launch S was going to be 7 not 5, not wanting to give away storage space for unneeded mini bus capacity, we flipped back to the T
Then we saw the Video with the tall gentleman sleeping in the S and said - looks roomy and totally flat
We could bunk there. I'd even gamble on doing a 3rd seat removal
Then someone posted that the 7 seat was 3" less height and that broke the deal so back to the T.

We might just have to sleep under the tonneau and let my feet hang out!

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Now I'm really confused...why get 5 seats if 7 is same price and folds flat?
3" more cargo - the U part of SUV - plus what ever kind of 'trunk' would be where the 3rd row was.
We are thinking the reason for the 3" difference is that the last row sits higher so the 2nd row platform was raised to make it neat and flat
they did a helluva job with the flat fold and it makes a huge difference but like a posting from a month or more ago - those of us with bikes (with front wheel off) it means rolling 'em in upright or piling them in flat
with an eBike averaging 60 lb plus, and being 60 something and 70 'something.........
you get then picture.
we have lightweight non ebikes we can stack with a blanket between but eeewww awkward
one of the off road mtn bike guys at the shop chimed in about pickups (like us he's always had vans and wagons, and Astros never PU's, a muddy bike in the PU bed gets hosed off easier than getting cabin full of crud.
We will eventually lead the ins and outs of pick ups.

AlexL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
3" more cargo - the U part of SUV - plus what ever kind of 'trunk' would be where the 3rd row was.
We are thinking the reason for the 3" difference is that the last row sits higher so the 2nd row platform was raised to make it neat and flat
they did a helluva job with the flat fold and it makes a huge difference but like a posting from a month or more ago - those of us with bikes (with front wheel off) it means rolling 'em in upright or piling them in flat
with an eBike averaging 60 lb plus, and being 60 something and 70 'something.........
you get then picture.
we have lightweight non ebikes we can stack with a blanket between but eeewww awkward
one of the off road mtn bike guys at the shop chimed in about pickups (like us he's always had vans and wagons, and Astros never PU's, a muddy bike in the PU bed gets hosed off easier than getting cabin full of crud.
We will eventually lead the ins and outs of pick ups.
Isn't the bed too short for full size eMTB? Or you thinking of swinging it over the tailgate? This also not so easy with 20+ kg bike. I plan just using the old good hitch rack.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Isn't the bed too short for full size eMTB? Or you thinking of swinging it over the tailgate? This also not so easy with 20+ kg bike. I plan just using the old good hitch rack.
We are hitch rack fans too for our own bikes, and prefer the two-peg style not the wheel tray which we often bang our shins into, cost three times as much, and take up a lotta space
we even carry tandems across the back of our bolt and kona ev.
when we deliver a or pick up a customer bike, it looks better coming and going in the bed
front wheel off, fork on the floor mount - bed long enough
Our more poser-inclined customers who like to show off their trophy bikes have the fork mount on the rear of the cab roof which helps free up more bed space
Sorry, everyone, if i knew how to change the topic I'd have called this "Now - Carrying bikes on Rivians"

Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

The bed with the tailgate down is 83.8" long. Plenty of room for eMTBs or even a Yamaha 250...

wilderaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan CT, Honda Odyssey, Cadillac Lyriq
We are hitch rack fans too for our own bikes, and prefer the two-peg style not the wheel tray which we often bang our shins into, cost three times as much, and take up a lotta space
we even carry tandems across the back of our bolt and kona ev.
when we deliver a or pick up a customer bike, it looks better coming and going in the bed
front wheel off, fork on the floor mount - bed long enough
Our more poser-inclined customers who like to show off their trophy bikes have the fork mount on the rear of the cab roof which helps free up more bed space
Sorry, everyone, if i knew how to change the topic I'd have called this "Now - Carrying bikes on Rivians"
Inexplicably, Rivian has removed the crossbar quick connects from the bed so you'll have to go aftermarket for an in-bed mounting system.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Inexplicably, Rivian has removed the crossbar quick connects from the bed so you'll have to go aftermarket for an in-bed mounting system.
I can see them making that decision for a couple of reasons:
  1. The potential difficulty in keeping them free of dirt and crud
  2. A small percentage of their customers would utilize them and therefore hard to justify the added expense and complexity
Not saying they made the right choice, just that I can see reasons for them to be eliminated.

Personally, I would never use them and if they were present #1 could be an issue.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

I can see them making that decision for a couple of reasons:
  1. The potential difficulty in keeping them free of dirt and crud
  2. A small percentage of their customers would utilize them and therefore hard to justify the added expense and complexity
Not saying they made the right choice, just that I can see reasons for them to be eliminated.

Personally, I would never use them and if they were present #1 could be an issue.
[/QUO
The bed with the tailgate down is 83.8" long. Plenty of room for eMTBs or even a Yamaha 250...
that's generously long -my feet won't hang over and we can even fit our tandem - only a 67" wb
Thanks for the info.

EVGuy2055

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Not entirely sure why they dont have the bucket seat option. This SUV is suppose to be aiming at consumers with larger families and/or adventure purposes. Having more than 3 kids in a bench seating arrangement is next to impossible. You have 2 carseats in the bench area and cant really fold down the seats because carseats are there. Seems to conflict with the approach Rivian is trying to take.... I want the car but cant convince my wife that it is practical without bucket seats.
Sponsored