Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

And that's the overly political world we live in. No one cares what Mr. Ford did in his life they just bought a car they liked. I've been watching the stock tank thinking about buying in. Given my losses with all my other stocks its probably a bad choice.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

And that's the overly political world we live in. No one cares what Mr. Ford did in his life they just bought a car they liked. I've been watching the stock tank thinking about buying in. Given my losses with all my other stocks its probably a bad choice.
They're not losses until you sell.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
No I don't think this is going to hurt the sales of Tesla. Stock price isn't directly correlated with sales projections all the time. First off Tesla was WAY overvalued to start with. For a company that only made a million cars last year they had more value than Ford and GM combined. Second competition is another major factor in why the stock price went down.

When Tesla was sky high they were pretty much the only game in town. You have to remember that stock price is always speculative on what they thing the future will be. I would say Tesla losing market share has much more to do with competition than it does Twitter. I think Twitter purchase is the smallest factor in Tesla's stock price tumble.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

No I don't think this is going to hurt the sales of Tesla. Stock price isn't directly correlated with sales projections all the time. First off Tesla was WAY overvalued to start with. For a company that only made a million cars last year they had more value than Ford and GM combined. Second competition is another major factor in why the stock price went down.

When Tesla was sky high they were pretty much the only game in town. You have to remember that stock price is always speculative on what they thing the future will be. I would say Tesla losing market share has much more to do with competition than it does Twitter. I think Twitter purchase is the smallest factor in Tesla's stock price tumble.
I partly agree with this. Additionally, Musk has been leveraging his Tesla stock on the purchase of Twitter. Then he sold $4billion in Tesla stock. All of this has murdered the stock price.

I do think, however, sales are impacted somewhat. His hubris has always hurt Tesla. I know several folks that dumped their Tesla orders for Ford or Rivian. Of course the wait is so long for their cars it’s not really impacting the bottom line at this point. The biggest danger to Tesla is the distraction Musk has created for himself.

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Is Elon Musk's disastrous takeover of twitter going to be a detriment to Tesla sales and therefor helpful to rivian and other electric manufacturers? Seems likely...

https://www.thewrap.com/elon-musk-tesla-twitter-maga/
some would argue that it wasn't disastrous... though I will be the first to admit that I am a big Elon fan especially when it comes to his work with SpaceX. That being said I don't believe anything going on with Tesla (outside of cyber truck) is going to affect Rivian. The only thing affecting Rivian is Rivian's logistic struggles.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I don’t think Musk failing to *not* buy Twitter :giggle: is going to directly kill Tesla’s stock, but we have seen multiple examples over the years of his erratic behavior hurting his companies value. So far it has always recovered but I think people (customers and shareholders) are certainly growing tired of his act.

This is by far one of the dumbest things he has ever done and will almost definitely result in Twitter filing for bankruptcy. He has also sold another $4 billion in Tesla stock in the past couple weeks since taking over at Twitter. He is clearly in over his head and this only further tarnishes his reputation as a successful leader.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...ircus-gets-Tesla-booted-investments-list.html

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla

The reason for Teslas high-value is absolutely mostly tied to projections. But beyond that, they continue to perform on post adjusted and non-adjusted profitability greater than Ford and GM. Tesla was never going to keep their market share as new manufacturers come to market with alternatives to Tesla at attractive price points and a more modest Logo. That said, it’s a testament to Teslas ability to keep costs low(in part because of marketing dollars) but their efficiency and platform will keep Teslas value forever high.

Twitter will be a free marketing toy for Tesla and all the boys here who are new to the game that forget the shenanigans Musk has been apart of in the past which has done nothing but increase his growth. Rivian will not drive sales due to Twitter, nor will any other brand. It’s fools gold, and Elon has those fools in his crosshairs.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Buy the dip. This is a great opportunity as the Twitter fiasco will pass. It’s around $190 a share as if this morning.

I invested in 2018 at around $165 a share. Little did I know that Tesla was about a month away from bankruptcy when I purchased it. The stock has split twice already. Tesla stock turned out to be my best investments to date.

Last edited:

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The reason for Teslas high-value is absolutely mostly tied to projections. But beyond that, they continue to perform on post adjusted and non-adjusted profitability greater than Ford and GM. Tesla was never going to keep their market share as new manufacturers come to market with alternatives to Tesla at attractive price points and a more modest Logo. That said, it’s a testament to Teslas ability to keep costs low(in part because of marketing dollars) but their efficiency and platform will keep Teslas value forever high.

Twitter will be a free marketing toy for Tesla and all the boys here who are new to the game that forget the shenanigans Musk has been apart of in the past which has done nothing but increase his growth. Rivian will not drive sales due to Twitter, nor will any other brand. It’s fools gold, and Elon has those fools in his crosshairs.
It would be a $44 billion “marketing toy” - not free. Which also seems far more expensive and less strategic than if they actually had just spent regular money on marketing. Racing to the bottom doing and saying dumb things publicly is not a wise growth strategy. Other large companies do not want to pay millions to advertise on twitter where their ads can appear next to racist and homophobic tweets from Musk’s fellow “free speech absolutists”. Other auto companies also won’t advertise on a platform owned by their competitor who will then see exactly how they spend their marketing dollars.

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
What Rivian is building is somewhat comparable to Patagonia. The overall customer base loves what Rivian stands for and the authenticity of Rivian and its mission. That is why so many people want to be a part of the brand. Not saying they didn’t make mistakes in the past or will not make mistakes in the future. Overall, I believe we are watching a masterclass of how to build a Brand with a high level of emotional engagement from their customers.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Good point... if Fordlandia didn't impact Ford sales I doubt the modern day version of it (Elona Husk's capriciousness with a social media platform that very few people use) will harm Tesla in the long run.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
It would be a $44 billion “marketing toy” - not free. Which also seems far more expensive and less strategic than if they actually had just spent regular money on marketing. Racing to the bottom doing and saying dumb things publicly is not a wise growth strategy. Other large companies do not want to pay millions to advertise on twitter where their ads can appear next to racist and homophobic tweets from Musk’s fellow “free speech absolutists”. Other auto companies also won’t advertise on a platform owned by their competitor who will then see exactly how they spend their marketing dollars.
That would be true except for one thing, there's no such thing as bad publicity. The fact that Musk is seen as a player in the public space is a good thing for his companies. Also there have ALWAYS been racist tweets on there and heterophobic ones for that matter as well, so this new cesspool just evens the playing field. The leftist toxicity didn't tank the platform so chances are the rightist won't either. It's a bad business for absolutely nothing to do with those reasons.

Advertisers don't care about Musk's opinions at the end of the day so long as they can distance themselves from it. What Musk is doing is driving engagement to his platform which bottom line is all investors care about. He's going to moderate, just apply those standards evenly and transparently. All these examples of toxic tweets mean nothing as they get removed. Back when I was still dumb enough to have socials I saw people boiling puppies alive on Facebook, and people committing suicide on there too by blowing their heads off. Surely you don't think Zuckerberg condoned that sort of stuff right? Of course it was removed, just like the tweets you reference.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T

Yea this is a bit misguided. While they haven’t sold more vehicles than Ford GM Toyota their net profits have been higher this year due to their gross margins on each vehicle sold of more than 30% vs the typical 10% or lower. On total sales so far this year Tesla has made more profit than the auto giant Toyota even though Toyota has outsold Tesla by quite a bit.. it all comes down to margins and efficiency in auto production. Tesla has it down to a science, they keep the vehicle interiors super basic and cars easy to assemble with lots of robotics/AI and charge a pretty penny for it. I’ll buy the dip personally. Is the twitter fiasco having an affect on the stock. Definitely. It will take a while but it will pass, IMO. Summary, valuations based on expectations and profits not how many cars a company sells necessarily.
Sponsored