Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Anyone notice how the light bar wasn't indicating a green state of charge during the charging session? I wonder if that feature has been scrapped.
The charge port light "ring" wasn't on either so both probably disabled.
Sponsored

Dominic Wilbrink

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy BoltEV & 2005 Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
YouTuber, former Commercial Construction Project Manager (national roll outs)
I recently had a Rivian R1T parked next to me at a charging station while I was charging my 2021 Chevy BoltEV. I took the opportunity to get some footage and analyze it from my perspective as current EV user (40,000 miles+ in the last year) and as a off-road/overlander. I have also used pick-up trucks for construction project throughout the country over the last 20 years. I hope my thoughts are informative and constructive.

Initial Encounter:

I have a second video which is a deep dive into the footage I captured from underneath the truck. I'll post that shortly. Also, at least 2 more videos are in the works.

OP
OP
aAlpine

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Hey @Dominic Wilbrink, welcome! Thanks for capturing that great footage and sharing it!

One question a few of us had in the other thread was whether or not you were able to see the charging rate (and SoC) of the R1T?

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Welcome @Dominic Wilbrink ! Keep us posted on when the other videos are released & I know you got a shout out on another Rivian-specific YT channel!

Dominic Wilbrink

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Chevy BoltEV & 2005 Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
YouTuber, former Commercial Construction Project Manager (national roll outs)
Hey @Dominic Wilbrink, welcome! Thanks for capturing that great footage and sharing it!

One question a few of us had in the other thread was whether or not you were able to see the charging rate (and SoC) of the R1T?
Sort of. I have clear video of the charge screen. But not the charge rate. The charge rate could be inferred. I plan doing either charge port/charge rate video or two short stand alone videos with the footage I have. Any thing that was not shot on a drone was shot on a 360 camera so I have way more footage than it looks like. I also have the ability to pause the video at any moment and look around in every direction. More to come.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
I recently had a Rivian R1T parked next to me at a charging station while I was charging my 2021 Chevy BoltEV. I took the opportunity to get some footage and analyze it from my perspective as current EV user (40,000 miles+ in the last year) and as a off-road/overlander. I have also used pick-up trucks for construction project throughout the country over the last 20 years. I hope my thoughts are informative and constructive.

(snip)

I have a second video which is a deep dive into the footage I captured from underneath the truck. I'll post that shortly. Also, at least 2 more videos are in the works.
Did anybody notice in the video that all four door handles on the R1T were ejected? I've been away from the forums for a while so this may be a dumb question but ... what's with that?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Did anybody notice in the video that all four door handles on the R1T were ejected? I've been away from the forums for a while so this may be a dumb question but ... what's with that?
Forum consensus (unconfirmed) is that the handles pop out when the vehicle is unlocked, and suck back in when doors are locked (including once you drive a certain speed).

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Sort of. I have clear video of the charge screen. But not the charge rate. The charge rate could be inferred. I plan doing either charge port/charge rate video or two short stand alone videos with the footage I have. Any thing that was not shot on a drone was shot on a 360 camera so I have way more footage than it looks like. I also have the ability to pause the video at any moment and look around in every direction. More to come.
Thanks! And please don't Rivian us to death (it is coming soon) : )

Sponsored

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forum consensus (unconfirmed) is that the handles pop out when the vehicle is unlocked, and suck back in when doors are locked (including once you drive a certain speed).
Thanks, but I sure hope there is more to it than that.
So I unlock the doors, get in, and I do NOT lock the doors. While I'm sitting in the vehicle parked (like in the video) or may be I get back out and walk away without looking the doors, all the door handles stay ejected (waiting to hook onto someone walking by or worse) until I lock the doors? Hmm ...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Thanks, but I sure hope there is more to it than that.
So I unlock the doors, get in, and I do NOT lock the doors. While I'm sitting in the vehicle parked (like in the video) or may be I get back out and walk away without looking the doors, all the door handles stay ejected (waiting to hook onto someone walking by or worse) until I lock the doors? Hmm ...
Do you frequently leave your vehicle parked in public, unlocked?

It feels like you're searching for a problem, where one doesn't normally exist.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you frequently leave your vehicle parked in public, unlocked?

It feels like you're searching for a problem, where one doesn't normally exist.
No, I do not. That's an incorrect assumption on your part. The car may be in my driveway or even in my garage. No need to lock the doors and have the door handles remain ejected. I'm just trying to understand the conditions of when this would occur. It very well could have been a timing thing when the video was taken, say, right after the driver enter the vehicle and after a period of time the handles went back in. I just have not seen or read about that behavior before and simply asking if anybody has any insight. If you don't, that's fine, no need to reply.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
No, I do not. That's an incorrect assumption on your part. The car may be in my driveway or even in my garage. No need to lock the doors and have the door handles remain ejected. I'm just trying to understand the conditions of when this would occur. It very well could have been a timing thing when the video was taken, say, right after the driver enter the vehicle and after a period of time the handles went back in. I just have not seen or read about that behavior before and simply asking if anybody has any insight. If you don't, that's fine, no need to reply.
When you lock the vehicle the door handles would retract.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
When you lock the vehicle the door handles would retract.
I think there will be good logic here. I am not worried about it.

What occurred to me is that the handles will need to retract properly in almost all conditions because if being unlocked results in handles extended, uh oh. I can tell immediately if your Rivian is unlocked and I am gonna get all those Tom Jones CD's on your sun visor.
Sponsored

Last edited: