Sponsored

Torch issues - help me troubleshoot

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
My torch is not working well and I am not sure what to expect in terms of a good working torch.

Initially when I received the truck the torch was working. I have to admit I never paid attention to how bright it is (or is not).
After the novelty wore off I did not use it for a while. The other day I needed it and it was dead. So I re-inserted it and made sure it is seated properly. A few days later I checked it again and it was lighting up but very dim. As in not even usable dim.

I logged a service request and they provided me with a new torch.
I turned the new torch on and let it run down, then returned it to the socket to charge.
The next day I checked and it lit up but nowhere near 1000 lumens. More like 50-100.
A few days later and I would say it's about 300 lumens now.

Sometimes it flickers when pressing the button. My understanding is that this indicates it needs to be charged.
Sometimes when inserting it in the socket it does not catch and pops out again. When I do it again it seats.
I do turn it on before inserting. Apparently if it turns off it is making contact and charging.

So it appears to charge, just not very well. And while not impossible, it seems unlikely that both torches would have faulty batteries.

As a reference I have a 300 lumens and a 800 lumens headlamps that I compare the brightness against.

And as a bonus for reading this far: The cost for the torch without the charging base is $175, making the cost of the base in the gear shop $50! Service accidentally charged me for the torch on the work order.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Curious why you would have intentionally run it down to dead? That's not good for the battery. I just leave mine in the truck's socket and it's always been good for however long I've needed to use it.

OP
OP

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Curious why you would have intentionally run it down to dead? That's not good for the battery. I just leave mine in the truck's socket and it's always been good for however long I've needed to use it.
As a practice yes, but for one time I am more interested in fixing the core issue

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

As a practice yes, but for one time I am more interested in fixing the core issue
You are giving the button quick presses while it's on to cycle through the brightness levels? I think there should be three. 60/350/1000 lumens.

OP
OP

swazi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
You are giving the button quick presses while it's on to cycle through the brightness levels? I think there should be three. 60/350/1000 lumens.
Yes

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Why did you let it run down?

New batteries should be charged before using, not discharged.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
Sounds to me like a faulty charging port for it, since you got a replacement and it's exhibiting the same behavior.
Sponsored