Rivian Official Video: The Long Weekend Wyoming

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
You're okay with "heated" debate but not with dampened motion? Maybe you might realize one day the debate wouldn't have existed if you weren't in the wrong side of history.
That's literally nonsense.

Traditional meaning of literally.
Sponsored

MW_Riley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1974 Land Cruiser 2000 Land Cruiser 2009 Ducati Sport Classic 1000S 2011Ducati StreetfighterS
Let me express my real frustration (it has nothing to do with etymology).

That was a nice video. Heartwarming. High production values. Must have cost a lot of time and money. The only thing I got out of it was that pressing a button will lower the tailgate slowly. There was a lot more to be learned from the 30 second videos that RJ keeps tweeting out.

Does this bother anybody else?

I think I'm particularly annoyed because in the last couple days Lucid, despite pushing back deliveries to the second half of the year, just released more information that we have ever seen from Rivian, and Hyundai seems to have released a fair amount on the Ioniq 5, despite not going on sale until this summer. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood today.
Yes, it’s like after a little dabbling, Long Way Up was that first real taste the dealer gave us. Now months later and smaller doses people are tweaking.

(Is tweaking a word?)

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Tesla Mod 3, 23 Ford Lightning, 23 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Semi Retired
I have to say, I’m kinda confused by the statements saying, needing/wanting more info., etc.
I guess it’s me, but what other info is needed to make a decision? They have shared plenty of specs for me to buy one of these for an everyday work(not construction) and play vehicle.
The only specs I’m needing is a vehicle comparison of legroom (versus other brands), or the available measurements of front and back, of both vehicles, and we can do our own comparison.
What this video (and the one w RJ family in the back) seems to show me is that the rear leg room may be Jeep Wrangler unlimited size and that’s very discouraging.
That isn’t family road trip worthy.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I have to say, I’m kinda confused by the statements saying, needing/wanting more info., etc.
I guess it’s me, but what other info is needed to make a decision? They have shared plenty of specs for me to buy one of these for an everyday work(not construction) and play vehicle.
The only specs I’m needing is a vehicle comparison of legroom (versus other brands), or the available measurements of front and back, of both vehicles, and we can do our own comparison.
What this video (and the one w RJ family in the back) seems to show me is that the rear leg room may be Jeep Wrangler unlimited size and that’s very discouraging.
Did you really just write a post chastising people for wanting more info, but then finish same post saying you have a concern and basically need more info to confirm?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
So to confirm, you'd throw down $75K+ on a brand new vehicle from a brand new company without knowing any of the following info:
-If it has a warranty, how long it is, what it covers?
-How quickly it will charge on a road trip, and therefore how many hours you'll spend sitting around in strange parking lots?
-What the color of it actually looks like, and not just a photoshop rendering?
-What kind of mileage it gets, and whether your wheel/tire selection has a 1% impact or a 20% impact on range?
-Whether it passed it's crash tests and what rating it received?
-If you'll have easy access to your favorite navigation/traffic/music apps without coming up with some workaround?
-Whether you'll spend your life with the car needing to use one pedal or two to drive it?

I get that maybe not all of those are important or relevant to you, but I am surprised the the kids' legroom is on your list but none of those are.

Honestly, if that's the case, I'm truly jealous of your free-going nature about that kind of coin.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Did you really just write a post chastising people for wanting more info, but then finish same post saying you have a concern and basically need more info to confirm?
Lol, I guess I did.
It was a way for me to get the types of in answered Questions/info, that so many are asking for, but not sharing such questions. Like what Cohall just gave on the next reply, Good stuff BTW.
To be clearer, I don’t need more info to confirm. My R1T can’t come soon enough in anyway, shape or form. I guess my 20 years of buying Jeep’s from the interweb, w/ just pics and videos, has taught me to expect the unexpected and the delight of future discovery.
Chastising was not the intent.

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
So to confirm, you'd throw down $75K+ on a brand new vehicle from a brand new company without knowing any of the following info:
-If it has a warranty, how long it is, what it covers?
-How quickly it will charge on a road trip, and therefore how many hours you'll spend sitting around in strange parking lots?
-What the color of it actually looks like, and not just a photoshop rendering?
-What kind of mileage it gets, and whether your wheel/tire selection has a 1% impact or a 20% impact on range?
-Whether it passed it's crash tests and what rating it received?
-If you'll have easy access to your favorite navigation/traffic/music apps without coming up with some workaround?
-Whether you'll spend your life with the car needing to use one foot or two to drive it?

I get that maybe not all of those are important or relevant to you, but I am surprised the the kids' legroom is on your list but none of those are.

Honestly, if that's the case, I'm truly jealous of your free-going nature about that kind of coin.
Thank you for giving me some insight. I was just curious as to what kind of info people were seeking and felt it hadn’t been answered yet. You have good points.
We don’t need an itemized back and forth about this, but I feel about 50% of your questions have been answered. One of which is the (in my opinion) the expected slow rate of charge that I have read somewhere. FYI-at Home charging will be slow. Slower than my Tesla @home charger, is my understanding. Which is a model 3 and charges at about 30 MPH.
I do have a free wheeling nature I guess, but I’m not rolling in the $, just been preparing for it for a while and when it’s available, all hell is breaking loose on the Jeep’s for sale market. Lol.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thank you for giving me some insight. I was just curious as to what kind of info people were seeking and felt it hadn’t been answered yet. You have good points.
We don’t need an itemized back and forth about this, but I feel about 50% of your questions have been answered. One of which is the (in my opinion) the expected slow rate of charge that I have read somewhere. FYI-at Home charging will be slow. Slower than my Tesla @home charger, is my understanding. Which is a model 3 and charges at about 30 MPH.
I do have a free wheeling nature I guess, but I’m not rolling in the $, just been preparing for it for a while and when it’s available, all hell is breaking loose on the Jeep’s for sale market. Lol.
Did you suggest that Jeep owners are unloading now in anticipation of Rivian and other off-road EV’s coming? Please clarify. Thanks. ?

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
Let's please not start extrapolating from Lucid to Rivian. My personal WAG is (and has been for quite some time now) that Lucid will require more funding to actually start series production. The billion or so they got in 2019 was probably just enough to get them to this point. Rivian is well ahead of Lucid in terms of funding and doesn't need to raise any additional capital to enter series production. Could there be something common (such as chip shortages) that might equally delay Rivian? Sure, absolutely anything is possible but let's not start jumping to baseless conclusions.

Always a good idea to plan for the worst and hope for the best!
Today’s announcements:
Tesla- Chip shortages delaying some production for 2 weeks.
Lucid- Blames COVID for delays to the second half. This comes after previously blaming some issues with the Car.
RIVIAN-no information. Today would have been the perfect opportunity to confirm their delivery dates while two major competitors made these announcements.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Today’s announcements:
Tesla- Chip shortages delaying some production for 2 weeks.
Lucid- Blames COVID for delays to the second half. This comes after previously blaming some issues with the Car.
RIVIAN-no information. Today would have been the perfect opportunity to confirm their delivery dates while two major competitors made these announcements.
They confirmed their delivery dates just a few days ago. Not sure they need to do it again.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Yes, it bothers me as well. I get the PR fluff and it needs to be done, but you already sold out of all your trucks in 2021. How about giving some information to us, the people who are going to spend $80k on a truck

About that PR fluff needing to be done- in my corner of the world when I tell people I have a deposit on a Rivian they say 'What's that?- I've never heard of Rivian'. This includes plenty of Tesla owners and outdoorsy people with money.

Feels to me like a ripe market for a referral program...

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
About that PR fluff needing to be done- in my corner of the world when I tell people I have a deposit on a Rivian they say 'What's that?- I've never heard of Rivian'. This includes plenty of Tesla owners and outdoorsy people with money.

Feels to me like a ripe market for a referral program...
Agreed, it needs to be done. But you can promote the truck all you want, if people can't buy it that's an issue.

JeepersAlley

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi Retired
Did you suggest that Jeep owners are unloading now in anticipation of Rivian and other off-road EV’s coming? Please clarify. Thanks. ?
Lol, I was saying I will be unloading several of my personal Jeep’s, to pay for the Rivian. I may only keep 1 of my half dozen. I’m still buying some now, to hopefully flip in 12 months. We’ll see how lucky I can get.
Sponsored