20” All-Terrain or 22” Sport wheel upgrade included - Which is better 20 or 22

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Good point. I’ll be using my R1S to visit the family cottage regularly. It’s 4x4 only two track beach roads with soft white sand. In the July august heat...that sand really heats up and gets soft, sticky and even the best trucks get stuck. More often than not due to ground clearance.

Considering the adjustable height and 4motor traction, I have to think I’ll be fine with the 21” all season tires. Right? Thoughts?

AT’s seem overkill when most of my driving is road trips to ski or hike. After all, my Jeep GC Overland never had a problem in the deep sand when I lifted it that extra inch.
While the Rivian essentially has full time all wheel drive , keep in mind it could weighs 2,000lbs more than your jeep.

Sand driving is all about momentum and contact patch, the Rivian has the power but the extra weight means you might have to air down a bit to ensure you don't bury the tires in the sand with all that power and weight. Good thing it has onboard air :)

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

We chose 20 but will not be off roading . We would like to swap tires for smoother ones.
The 21 has our preferred tire tread but is new and proprietary
Are there hi mi 20’s we can swap and find someone for the originals?
Last cars we had used far smaller wheels a d tires and this is our first truck in 54,years of buying vehicles
PM PLEASE

BadKarma!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S & 2017 Ford Shelby GT350R
Occupation
Cyber Security
Clubs

Just venting:

I personally feel the $1700 up-charge from the 22" Sport to the 22" Sport Dark is obnoxious.

I will get off of my soapbox now.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Just venting:

I personally feel the $1700 up-charge from the 22" Sport to the 22" Sport Dark is obnoxious.

I will get off of my soapbox now.
Yep, especially when it would cost $500-600 to have them powder coated.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Just venting:

Likewise, the upcharge to get the 20" AT's in Dark, for those getting a Launch Edition, seems silly.

Some have offered explanations like differences in volume pricing that Rivian pays, but honestly why not recognize this undercuts one of the most appealing aspects to securing an early LE.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

Likewise, the upcharge to get the 20" AT's in Dark, for those getting a Launch Edition, seems silly.

Some have offered explanations like differences in volume pricing that Rivian pays, but honestly why not recognize this undercuts one of the most appealing aspects to securing an early LE.
Sorry for jumping in but was trying top find the posting about the CF (I assume Carbon Fiber)aero wheel covers.
Since we are not thrilled with any of the 'busy" wheel styles (we are getting 20 and swapping to quieter road tires) what the heck,
Anyone have a link or info on these covers?

Cam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I originally configured with the 22" option. I reserved an R1S, but I prefer the 20's on the R1T. If those are available for the R1S I'll do that. Those Perelli AT's are really good in the snow and not noticeably louder on the road.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I changed from 21 to 22. Range is the key consideration for me and I am assuming that the 22 will have better range impact than the 20. I know the 21 was optimized for range, but the idea of not being able to get a replacement because of constraints on a unique tire does not seem like a good idea...

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I originally configured with the 22" option. I reserved an R1S, but I prefer the 20's on the R1T. If those are available for the R1S I'll do that. Those Perelli AT's are really good in the snow and not noticeably louder on the road.
Luckily, in the fight against NVH, Rivian's Sound Engineering team created a great electronic workaround to counter any tire, road, or other unwanted noises that may present themselves in the passenger cabin. They call it Elevation 360⁰ by Meridian. It will damp down(?) any unwanted sound, including unruly kids in the Gear Tunnel.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I too am changing my mind twice daily on which wheels to choose. I noticed it's not so much the 21' wheel that is rare but the sidewall height of 65. I found that Audi Q7, BMW X6, Land Rover Discovery, Mercedes GLS, Porsche Panemera, and Volvo XC90 all have 21' wheel options but none with sidewall height over 50. Perrelli sells a 21' scorpion verde all-season in a 45 sidewall height for under $300. I wonder if that could be subbed and how it would affect ride quality range etc.?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I too am changing my mind twice daily on which wheels to choose. I noticed it's not so much the 21' wheel that is rare but the sidewall height of 65. I found that Audi Q7, BMW X6, Land Rover Discovery, Mercedes GLS, Porsche Panemera, and Volvo XC90 all have 21' wheel options but none with sidewall height over 50. Perrelli sells a 21' scorpion verde all-season in a 45 sidewall height for under $300. I wonder if that could be subbed and how it would affect ride quality range etc.?
Changing overall tire diameter will also impact speedometer and odometer readings. Plus potentially traction and stability control effectiveness.
The 21s and 22s have the same diameter, the OEM 20s are bigger. There is likely a setting in the info screens to select between them. You could fit a shorter sidewall tire to the 20s and get the same diameter as the 21/22.
If I don't go Launch Edition, I'll definitely be sticking with the 21s (might anyway). Saving the added $$ for the upgrade to another wheel/tire will pay for the cost differential for replacement OEM 21" tires many times over. And they will provide the most range (by how much is unknown at this point).

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I still say go with 20's add some LRR tires on it and enjoy the extra miles. I hope that is as easy as saying it haha.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I changed from 21 to 22. Range is the key consideration for me and I am assuming that the 22 will have better range impact than the 20. I know the 21 was optimized for range, but the idea of not being able to get a replacement because of constraints on a unique tire does not seem like a good idea...
Did the exact same. Don't like the 21 size or the look. Like the 20s durability/height addition but after owning EVs, range is king and the 22s don't look like that would impact as much.
Sponsored