First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
Hello fellow Canadians and any others who can illuminate my thoughts on what is certainly my "range anxiety." The Rivian will be my first EV and I'm still uncertain about which range package to get. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba--->which is known for having brutally cold winters (ie prolonged periods of -30 celsius).

Some facts:

1. My daily commute is around 50km
2. In the summer the family will take many road trips outside the city (usually <200km round trip). Almost no winter trips ATM.
3. About 3-5 X year longer summer trips to the the lakes in Ontario and Northern Manitoba (Approx 580 km round trip)
4. I don't think there are many or ? any non-Tesla super charging locations in my vicinity (I'm not sure about this).

I had previously pre-ordered a model Y but cancelled due to QA issues...but could revisit this if reports of improvement are forthcoming. It seems to me that Canada's supercharging network is Tesla friendly but other EVs are SOL. I guess I'm trying to reason if the max pack is worth the premium price? I'm sure the cold will significantly affect the range and if my driving habits change the extra range would be beneficial but maybe not...if only used a handful of times. I'm sure many of you have had these thoughts before initial EV purchase.

Am I missing anything else to consider?

Thanks
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
From my experience with a Model S over the last 5 years, the larger you can get the better. You do not use the full rated range as I rarely go below 15% of remaining battery. There are many things that attribute to range. I think Tesla for the Model S using a flat 290 Wh/mile, my lifetime average is 324 Wh/mile so the published range estimates for me is always higher than I actually see in real world driving.

There is degradation of the batteries over time I'm down about 24 miles from what I had when it was new (about 5 miles per year average but most of it was in the first 2 years) so over time the range will shrink. All of that being said, I do have an LE R1S ordered with the 300+ range. Mostly because I've never had an issue charging in the US, driving in the South West where there are many chargers for Tesla as well as other formats.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
3. About 3-5 X year longer summer trips to the the lakes in Ontario and Northern Manitoba (Approx 580 km round trip)
This looks like the only trip you would need to charge on. You should check out A Better Route Planner, this should be able to tell you what chargers are available now along your route.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
This looks like the only trip you would need to charge on. You should check out A Better Route Planner, this should be able to tell you what chargers are available now along your route.
If it's 580km (386mi) round trip, wouldn't they be able to do each one-way portion of 193mi fully on the 135kwh pack without stopping to charge? Unless they are towing a boat or something to the lakes.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
If it's 580km (386mi) round trip, wouldn't they be able to do each one-way portion of 193mi fully on the 135kwh pack without stopping to charge? Unless they are towing a boat or something to the lakes.
That depends on if they can charge at their destination. Your right though, I was thinking of it as a 386 mile trip.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
That depends on if they can charge at their destination. Your right though, I was thinking of it as a 386 mile trip.
Good point, I assumed without asking that there would be charging at their destination. It's definitely something I know I'll have to plan for once I start taking trips in the Rivian - gotta call that hotel or Airbnb to ask if we can plug in before booking!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Good point, I assumed without asking that there would be charging at their destination. It's definitely something I know I'll have to plan for once I start taking trips in the Rivian - gotta call that hotel or Airbnb to ask if we can plug in before booking!
If you're talking about 120v, you might get 30 miles overnight.

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
There is no substitute for range - get the biggest battery available is my advice.

As to your driving habits, your daily is fine - more than fine even. I have a 2016 Tesla model X with a (rare) 60KW battery and drive 80 miles round trip every day and still have juice for errands at the end. After the hills in Seattle, with a fully charged battery showing 167 miles range, I actually get about 140.

Range anxiety is the biggest hurdle for new EV owners to get over (my wife still struggles with it after 5 years). I cant speak to Canadian charging infrastructure but I have seen an explosion of 3rd party chargers over the last 1-2 years.

As the absolute worst case scenario, rent an ICE vehicle for your once per year trip. However, I dont think you will have to do that. Once you drive an EV, you will notice more EV chargers just because its more important to you.

Between ABRP and Plugshare, those two sites have all the chargers and you should be fine.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I’m personally holding out for the 400 miles, we are going all electric.

BC has much better CCS charging than Washington state. Not sure about your part of Canada. Check out PlugShare.com.

Over 6 years our Tesla has lost 2.5% of its range and 30% of the fastest charging current at a Supercharger.

Without a Supercharging network, people will be happier with 400 mile range unless you never plan to go more than 120 miles from your house.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
BC has much better CCS charging than Washington state.
It's hard to compare apples-to-apples. Is it road miles available to travel at any charging speed? Is it percentage of major routes that are covered? Do you weight your scores based on the charging speeds available? I don't know that either BC or WA have a clear edge over the other on CCS deployment. It really depends on what criteria you're using to assess that.

BC has much more vast areas that far more than 150 road miles from the nearest CCS charger and has entirely neglected Hwy 20 to Bella Coola and the entire northern half of the province for those YT/AK travelers along Hwys 37 and 97. But that's not really fair because BC has much more vast areas that are nearly unpopulated. On the other hand, WA could definitely use a charger (or several) on the Olympic Peninsula, and the WA side of the Okanagan is a charging desert.

Then again, all of WA's population centers are linked with 200+kW charging. You could definitely cover a lot more miles in BC, but north of Kamloops toward Prince George and out to Prince Rupert are only 50kW.

So yeah, I'm not sure either WA or BC is clearly "better". I just think we need a lot more and faster chargers everywhere.

50+kW:
Rivian R1T R1S Questions about range 300 or 400 mile? Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.38.35 AM

120+kW:
Rivian R1T R1S Questions about range 300 or 400 mile? Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 9.38.54 AM
Sponsored