Sponsored

What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Interesting that you are trying to argue in court WHY I want to make a purchase. The vehicles we own as enthusiasts left practicality behind long ago...

I sold the Silverado two weeks ago (it was dying), so I will either be buying another ICE truck or an electric truck soon.

I will sell the M5 to justify the cost of the Electric Truck and the Rivian gives me sports sedan and all weather all road capability. Otherwise I will keep the M5 and buy an ICE truck so I can have performance and practicality, they are both good options.

Rivian is purposefully marketing to my use case and it speaks to me.

Performance
Drive through 3 feet of water. Rock crawl at a 100% grade. Traverse just about any terrain with 14 inches of ground clearance. With a 0-60 mph time in as quick as 3 seconds depending on your tire selection, it also delivers the on-road handling of a sports car.¹
Thanks for your feedback. You had me at "I sold the Silverado two weeks ago". I'm not trying to argue against why you might want to make a purchase, as the "why" is always personal, a combination of objective and subjective reasoning. Like you, and others here, I have reasons as to why I'm going with Rivian. I happen share the vast majority of your stated reasons.

In light of your listed profile, I was only trying to defend the venerable M5, not knowing that the Silverado is now gone. I've always thought of the M5 as one of the best examples of the Luxury Sports Sedan class, and I can only imagine it might be hard to say goodbye to. While the M5 would seem a nice complement to the utility and versatility of any Rivian, we're all left with choices about what stays and what goes. I'm also in the same quandary as to how to make room for a Rivian in both the budget and the garage. Sometimes, these choices are hard.

I agree with all your reasoning for the purchase of a Rivian. I think your words resonate with most on this forum when you say "Rivian is purposefully marketing to my use case and it speaks to me." I can't wait for the deliveries to begin!

Best of everything to you with whatever you decide to do!

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Thanks for your feedback. You had me at "I sold the Silverado two weeks ago". I'm not trying to argue against why you might want to make a purchase, as the "why" is always personal, a combination of objective and subjective reasoning. Like you, and others here, I have reasons as to why I'm going with Rivian. I happen share the vast majority of your stated reasons.

In light of your listed profile, I was only trying to defend the venerable M5, not knowing that the Silverado is now gone. I've always thought of the M5 as one of the best examples of the Luxury Sports Sedan class, and I can only imagine it might be hard to say goodbye to. While the M5 would seem a nice complement to the utility and versatility of any Rivian, we're all left with choices about what stays and what goes. I'm also in the same quandary as to how to make room for a Rivian in both the budget and the garage. Sometimes, these choices are hard.

I agree with all your reasoning for the purchase of a Rivian. I think your words resonate with most on this forum when you say "Rivian is purposefully marketing to my use case and it speaks to me." I can't wait for the deliveries to begin!

Best of everything to you with whatever you decide to do!
Love this!! I was attempting to take your comments in stride, I have enjoyed your comments on this forum thanks for the back and forth!

jayazusa

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Prius
Occupation
Technology
I really wouldn't call this a glamor shot, but drives well and I get HOV lane access, and saving for an R1S so all good

Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) IMG_6771

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Love this!! I was attempting to take your comments in stride, I have enjoyed your comments on this forum thanks for the back and forth!
Thanks for your explanation! It's music to my ears, or should I say, it's pleasing to my eyes, to see your words. I'm glad you enjoyed my comments, as I also enjoy your input and the general back and forth throughout the many threads in this forum.

Being a bit of a dinosaur, I don't always comprehend printed humor, as little of the inflection and none of the visual cues are in play. Since Al Gore invented this whole Interweb thingy, I've been rather voyeuristic by simply reading/following a very large number of forums and public interactions, without ever jumping in. This is the first venue ever to compel me to take the dive and join the conversation.

Part of what drove this first plunge into public discourse is my passion for what Rivian represents to me. I'm 63 and haven't been this excited about anything or anyone since I met my late wife. The promise of Adventure that is Rivian makes me feel like a kid again. It instills a sense of wonder similar to the early discoveries of childhood (and, before anyone wonders, I do not, nor have I ever liked Kool-Aid).

When I met RJ at the Seattle event in 2019, I told him Rivian is my Fountain of Youth. Luckily, he didn't step away from me or call security, but I thought it best that he hear that comment as an honest statement of how his lifelong dream has impacted at least one other person. While others may have introduced electrified vehicles into the mainstream (I drive a 2016 Cadillac ELR, in addition to a bunch of old ICE-age-only autos), the vast and broad capabilities of any all-electric Rivian strikes me as the leading edge of the future of transportation.

Lest I offend any deputized members of the anti-hijacking posse, I'll end this now, after pointing out that I did address the original question of what I am currently driving.

Thanks again for your comments!

Last edited:

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Well my daily is of course a Bugatti Chiron, helps me get around the estate in record time:
Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) 566DDDCD-9462-4EE3-8934-A6A727087840

(Just kidding)

My daily is a Honda Accord:
Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) 818D98D1-165F-411B-AA12-E3A0A9410E9F

And my wife drives the 2021 Toyota Sienna. She actually loves the van because the kids are loaded so much easier, and it’s a great road trip car! I’m fan myself.
Rivian R1T R1S What are you currently driving? (Glamour Shots) D39EF9D6-0991-4E6C-9914-AF2A671CEB76

I will be trading the Accord in for the R1T.

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
2017 Tesla MS which will go to my wife once I take delivery of the R1T.
06BAB641-65FF-4D34-AD3E-906A51DA56D5.jpeg
46EECC27-EB88-4548-88F5-5C601A0CCC42.jpeg
D86F9284-27D5-4E0B-9770-34DF82189A43.jpeg
Don’t want to get your pilot’s license to drive the new one? ?. I like the wheels

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Don’t want to get your pilot’s license to drive the new one? ?. I like the wheels
If you are referring to the fact that I am parked at a military base, good eye. But I am a maintainer through and through.

Sponsored

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
If you are referring to the fact that I am parked at a military base, good eye. But I am a maintainer through and through.
Yes sir, thought the new steering yoke would be a natural fit for you. Had an air force family member say they would prefer the wheel though for his Tesla. Hand over hand doesn’t really work with the yoke without greatly adjusting the steering ratio, which I’m sure Tesla has in mind!

TUD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWs
‘17 BMW X5 and ‘03 BMW 540i six speed. Own other BMWs, but they are not driven daily. Will edit and add pics later.
Sponsored

Last edited: