Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
The good example of a problem is the one I stated earlier in this thread. I left my powered cooler in the frunk on a warm (not hot) day while on a hike. I left the cooler plugged into a 250Wh battery and when I came back ~4 hours later it was down to ~15% SOC. That means it was using something like 40W consistent for the whole time, so the compressor never turned off.
I woud think that the example above or away from the Rivian all day would be the kind of thing that the R1T was designed to support. And will be "relatively" common. There will be lots of examples (tailgating in September, etc.).

If the cooler can support parking on 100 degree day for most of the day, and keep things cool without consuming too much battery or 'melting' other things in the frunk, it will be a real winner.

Both products are wonderful examples of the kind of support products Rivian should go out of their way to encourage.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
Product design and manufacturing engineer
@BoxGods - I ran a successful Kickstarter[1] a number of years ago. They take 5% on top of the CC fees. I think the 5% is fair and ensures you actually get all the pledged money so you are not trying to collect after making a large investment. Happy to share my experience if you are interested.

Also -- I'd be interested in the cooler with no electronics. Not sure if that works in your current layout -- but would allow you to have a lower price point and appeal to a broader market and provide more manufacturing volume for the container.

[1]
I appreciate your sharing your experience.

From what I have read it's 5% plus CC as you mentioned which is typically another 5%.

Basically I am willing to put $25k into this out of my own pocket IF there are enough people who want to reserve at somewhere between $150 and $300. The reservation amount would be based on how many reservations there are. My thinking is that if there are not enough people interested I would MUCH rather find out now than after I am out of pocket $25k for the tooling.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Sounds like you should make a website and start having people pre-order. Call it $300 and if you make a profit so be it. Or throw in a stuffed Gearguard Gary that you bought with the proceeds. $25,000/$300 is only 83 pieces. Heck, call it $350 and save yourself from worry. It’s a bespoke product that’s beautiful, rugged, built with backups, and has a great story. Can’t see how you don’t win with this.

lorenv

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mazda 3 mini electric
Occupation
engineer
Can you invert which side The water sprayer is on? Currently drivers side.

As a user, i if wanted to use it with camp kitchen or slide out shuttle, i would want it on same side as that (passenger)

If using as a shower or rinse station, i think passenger side as well. Avoid puddles and standing water near drivers side main entrance to vehicle.

But that is just my UX viewpoint

Sponsored

jriggle

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Physician
I would definitely be interested in the cooler! Maybe in the water container, although I doubt I'd get nearly as much use out of it.

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

Have truck with 12v. Very interested in both. Really good work!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Would it be possible to have an optional set of positioning cleats to mate with the ribbing on the truck bed, to keep the cooler from sliding around if we ever want to put it back there?
I second this. For us, usually the frunk is all the clean stuff and the gear tunnel/bed are all the dirty stuff. Would be nice to be able to move if possible.

If using as a shower or rinse station, i think passenger side as well. Avoid puddles and standing water near drivers side main entrance to vehicle.
I second this motion! If plugged in and charging, would be nice to have the water sprayer be not near the plug.

What's the estimated weight empty? I'm young, fit, and buff 💪🏽 but my mother-in-law isn't and loves moving things around during our camping trips.

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation

As a user, i if wanted to use it with camp kitchen or slide out shuttle, i would want it on same side as that (passenger)

But that is just my UX viewpoint
Sure it is no problem switching the fill to the other side and I agree that probably makes more sense.

I had put it on the drivers side out of habit because the water fill on most RV's is on the Drivers side. My thinking being it would be easier to refill if you were at an R.V park.

Sponsored

BoxGods

Site Sponsor
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, BMW Z3
Occupation
I would definitely be interested in the cooler! Maybe in the water container, although I doubt I'd get nearly as much use out of it.
I originally thought I would get more use out of the cooler but the more I thought about it the more useful the water tanks sounds. You can rinse off gear, bikes, boots, or the dogs when you go on hikes or in our case the beach. Water storage for emergency situations--we get hurricanes here in Texas as an example. Soccer Moms would be hero's with a handy wash down sprayer...Imagine 12 gal of ready mix Gatorade! Not that you would ever do that...but you could =)

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
After some very basic experimentation I would bet a cooler (including this fridge design) would be fine in the frunk at a campsite, ie parked. In that mode the frunk seems to stay at a consistent temp. It's when you start driving that things fall apart, that frunk get's very hot. I'd have to watch the Munro live video again, but there is something near the frunk that get plenty hot.

I hope to be proved wrong, as the design is slick, and the price is more than fair, a standard Domestic costs about the same.

OP
OP

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs

What's the estimated weight empty? I'm young, fit, and buff 💪🏽 but my mother-in-law isn't and loves moving things around during our camping trips.
The webbing and handles are designed to be used with user-provided cross beams like Arc of the Covenen... am I old? Empty about 20lbs, loaded: 40Q of gatorade would be 83.45 pounds (37.85kg) more.

The height to lift clear of the Frunk leading edge is probably a two-person job when full.

jriggle

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Physician
I originally thought I would get more use out of the cooler but the more I thought about it the more useful the water tanks sounds. You can rinse off gear, bikes, boots, or the dogs when you go on hikes or in our case the beach. Water storage for emergency situations--we get hurricanes here in Texas as an example. Soccer Moms would be hero's with a handy wash down sprayer...Imagine 12 gal of ready mix Gatorade! Not that you would ever do that...but you could =)
Haha good point! Honestly washing off after a day at the lake would be great, didn't think about that.

OP
OP

Dgephri

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Occupation
Finance-Real Estate
Clubs