Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Definitely not a dealbreaker...My biggest frustration is that WE have had to do all of this fact-finding...Communicate. Be upfront. Wheeling in AZ is great, but we want data on the truck...warranty, range, safety rating, etc...
I agree. If this is something they have decided and are ready to discuss, it should at least show up in the support section of the website. We shouldn't have to guess what features might be locked down and ask about them.
Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
The price was actually lower, Originally Starting at 70k now 67,500 same thing with the R1S, originally starting at 72k now 70k.
A lower cost for a model with fewer features than what was originally offered as "standard."

When I look at the cost of these vehicles I dont even consider the explore package. During the reveal Rivian stated that the vehicle would have all the above listed features for 69k. Later during a meet and greet RJ stated that actually a mid battery option with all the features behind him would cost 69k (blue color, AT wheels, Lidar, electric-powered tailgate, electro-chromatic roof, tow hitches, reinforced underbody, and air compressor).

If you configure as close as you can to that same vehicle you are 75k base, 2.5k color, 1.8k tires = $79.3k. Thats 10k more than what RJ said, and you still don't have lidar, level 3 autonomy, electric tailgate or the electro-chromatic roof.

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Totally agreed.

While this may not be a deal-breaker, it is really disappointing.

I'm adding it to my running list of Over-promised and under-delivered.

I'm just venting now and don't actually maintain a list, but here's all the things that they had previously told us would be included or optional:
-Powered tailgate
-Price is actually higher than they told us/Reuters it would be
-No electrochromatic roof (nor any sun-shade for the all glass roof)
-No removable roof at launch
-No 180 drop down tailgate
-No max battery pack at launch
-No level 3 autonomy
-No Lidar
-No spare tire included

Ugh. I'm depressing myself now. The value proposition is far below what it was when I put down my deposit.
I knew two lidars got erased but didn't know they dropped "level 3 autonomy" which I thought it will be available, not in the beginning, but over time or in the future once they are confident.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I knew two lidars got erased but didn't know they dropped "level 3 autonomy" which I thought it will be available, not in the beginning, but over time or in the future once they are confident.
AFAIK that is still the case.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Rivian completely changed their marketing on this. They went from level 3 autonomy is coming and "well take the wheel you take the view" to "driver+ is an advanced driver assistance program that requires the drivers full attention at all times" and in the faq page: "driver+ is not a level 3 autonomous driving system."

All quoted material is to point out statements, not to be taken as word for word transcription.

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
If you configure as close as you can to that sale vehicle you are 75k base, 2.5k color, 1.8k tires = $79.3k. Thats 10k more than what RJ said, and you still don't have lidar, level 3 autonomy, electric tailgate or the electro-chromatic roof.
100. You said it much more clearly than I did.
I probably should have stated that there is no Level 3 at launch, and any future upgrades to L3 are far from certain and at Rivian's discretion.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

f you configure as close as you can to that same vehicle you are 75k base, 2.5k color, 1.8k tires = $79.3k. Thats 10k more than what RJ said, and you still don't have lidar, level 3 autonomy, electric tailgate or the electro-chromatic roof.
Level 3 autonomy WAS NEVER GOING to be a thing AT LAUNCH. Only after they gathered enough data, would our vehicles then be updated to Level 3.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Level 3 autonomy WAS NEVER GOING to be a thing AT LAUNCH. Only after they gathered enough data, would our vehicles then be updated to Level 3.
They never said it wouldn't either. I think they implied strongly that it was going to be available at launch, because they never said anything explicitly otherwise.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian confirms POWERED tailgate has now been KILLED Screenshot_20201113-230240_Chrome

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I disagree. RJ said a "Well equipped" mid-pack R1T with electrochromatic roof option included would be $69K. You can clearly see by looking at the cost of Rivian options (cough, $5k for a stove, cough) as well as how much that type of roof costs as an option for other manufacturers, that if you subtracted that option the cost would be much lower than $67.5K. And that doesn't account for what one may consider well equipped (upgraded stereo? Full skid plates? etc.).

So given the factors above, you're now paying potentially $75K plus for something that was stated to be well below $69K.

That's my personal view of it anyway.

I suppose, I don't really take anything of what X said even RJ for what its worth as anything said pre-building isn't on paper nor confirmed. It would have been nice to have those features but regardless of what they said originally I was thinking about the 70/72k figure well equipped to which I think it is to be honest.

-Meridan Audio Standard.
-Power Frunk Standard
-Heated Rear Standard
-Cooled Seats Standard
-Power for the 135kwh is 800hp/900tq
-135kwh battery pack in general as starting was 105 for the intro pricing.

I guess I am looking at a Half Full perspective haha, the bar isn't set at all for them as of yet, they just have to SET it and produce/deliver. I think from there they can start getting fancy otherwise who knows how long it would have taken.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

They never said it wouldn't either. I think they implied strongly that it was going to be available at launch, because they never said anything explicitly otherwise.
Maybe not on the website, but of the 3 events I went to prior to the COVID, ALL the engineers working on autonomy or in the know, said that it would be Level 2 until...

Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I guess I am looking at a Half Full perspective
I think I woke up in a bad mood. I'm usually much more positive than I feel about Rivian today. I think I'm just tired of only getting bad news or no news from them.
-Meridan Audio Standard. - Only confirmed if you get the $75K adventure pack (unknown manufacturer for the base system, though could certainly also be Meridian)

-Cooled Seats Standard - Only for the $75K adventure pack

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I think I woke up in a bad mood. I'm usually much more positive than I feel about Rivian today. I think I'm just tired of only getting bad news or no news from them.

TBH I didn't even look at Non Adventure pack but I see what you mean comparing it on Rivians Website. I still think in comparison you are getting a nice set of features from a drive ability perspective which is nice. Not sure maybe I have drank too much Kool-Aid and filling my head with positivity LOL.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian confirms POWERED tailgate has now been KILLED 1613504621156

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The price was actually lower, Originally Starting at 70k now 67,500 same thing with the R1S, originally starting at 72k now 70k.
And the $70K was for the small/standard pack - we've gotten a free upgrade to the large pack with the bonus of it costing less than originally announced.
They showed a concept vehicle, hand built a few for some serious testing, have built some pre-production units for further real world testing, and are adapting the design to what they feel is the best vehicle for the market balancing price/performance/quality/reliability/etc.
There is absolutely no way they can produce a vehicle that satisfies all the pre-order members wish lists. Some are directly contradictory.
If you don't like how far they have strayed for the concept, they will gladly refund your money. Right now, they don't have a shortage of customers. The direction they are going will actually help ensure that is the case in the long run.

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

It may be a deal breaker for me -- especially when competitors all have the feature for tens of thousands of dollars less.

I need to look at the "value" when the vehicle comes out. The more features they remove, the harder it will be for them to justify the price, to me.
This shouldn't be a deal breaker. When you compare real apples-to-apples features, other truck cost $65-75k. That doesn't include a $7,500 tax credit or the gas you'll save over those years. Even if a truck was $60k, over five years, they'll come out to the same cost to own and operate. Still a great bargain.
Sponsored