Sponsored

What charging speed are you getting @home with Rivian EVSE?

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
With the Rivian EVSE installed at my home on a 60amp breaker, I am getting 11kW or usually about 21.1 mi/hr of charge. Is this normal? I thought I remembered reading people averaging 25mi/hr charge at home. Disclaimer, this is my first EV. My electrician installed the charger so I don't know if internal switches were set correctly. Just curious if my experience is the norm. Thanks!
Sponsored

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
With the Rivian EVSE installed at my home on a 60amp breaker, I am getting 11kW or usually about 21.1 mi/hr of charge. Is this normal? I thought I remembered reading people averaging 25mi/hr charge at home. Disclaimer, this is my first EV. My electrician installed the charger so I don't know if internal switches were set correctly. Just curious if my experience is the norm. Thanks!
I think your historical driving habits will impact mile per hour charge.... 11kW is 11kW, but if you drive more aggressive it may use that to report lower miles per hour charge

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
That's why charging "speed" isn't a good metric. It depends on how you drive. If you average 2 mi/Kwh and someone else averages 2.5 mi/Kwh then they will have a faster charging speed. You should be looking at the power delivered and in your case that's 11 kW which is about the max for a 60A circuit (50A x 220V).

OP
OP
VenturaLuke

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
That's why charging "speed" isn't a good metric. It depends on how you drive. If you average 2 mi/Kwh and someone else averages 2.5 mi/Kwh then they will have a faster charging speed. You should be looking at the power delivered and in your case that's 11 kW which is about the max for a 60A circuit (50A x 220V).
That makes total sense. Thank you so much!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Just another note here - in addition to driving habits, your wheels/tires and drive mode will have a real impact on the apparent range and thus "charging speed" in miles. The difference between 25mi/hr and 21 mi/hr could just be the difference between 20" AT and 21" road tires, or Sport and Conserve.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VenturaLuke

VenturaLuke

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Flight Nurse
Just another note here - in addition to driving habits, your wheels/tires and drive mode will have a real impact on the apparent range and thus "charging speed" in miles. The difference between 25mi/hr and 21 mi/hr could just be the difference between 20" AT and 21" road tires, or Sport and Conserve.
Good point. 20AT's here. Thanks!

Underwhirled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, RIT
Occupation
Architect
I’ve installed the same charger on a 60 Amp circuit in my garage. I’m getting the same 11 kW that you are getting - if that helps for comparison.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I originally used my early Tesla Wall Charger with an adapter. Back in the early days, the Tesla wall charger was 80 amps. The Lectron adapter however, was limited to 40 amps. I was getting around 20 mph rate of charge.

In the process of doing some construction, so decided to go ahead and install the Rivian wall charger I had sitting here in a box, reading that it should deliver around 25 mph in range. However, despite being completely different wiring, through a completely different charger designed specifically for the Rivian, am still getting just 20 mph rate of charge. Same truck, same driver. Was disappointed that there was absolutely no improvement from what I had to what I have now.

The only advantage is that the J1772 plug on the Rivian charger does slide in and out of the charge plug on the truck much easier than did the Lectron adapter.

I put the Lectron adapter in the truck to use if travelling since it now opens up any Level 2 Tesla destination chargers at hotels and such for me to use.

Mcfly Rivian

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Realtor
I'm on a 60 amp circuit, getting 11 amps 24 miles added an hr. My truck has 22's.

Sponsored

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
50 amp @9-10 kW range 21-24 m/h. Always charge in conserve mode

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

So what is everyone getting with the charger that comes with the truck? I get 8kw on a 14-50 50A plug or 8kw at my house running off my welder outlet with an adaptor which is only a 30a. I would have thought it would have been higher on the 50a plug which makes me glad I didn't spend a bunch of money installing a 14-50 outlet. oh and the 110v is useless I plugged in for 3 hours and gained 0 miles...

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

So what is everyone getting with the charger that comes with the truck? I get 8kw on a 14-50 50A plug or 8kw at my house running off my welder outlet with an adaptor which is only a 30a. I would have thought it would have been higher on the 50a plug which makes me glad I didn't spend a bunch of money installing a 14-50 outlet. oh and the 110v is useless I plugged in for 3 hours and gained 0 miles...
What do you have the amps set to in the truck. If you lower the amps to support the 30a, you would need to raise it back when you go to a higher current plug. If it is 240v and you go to 40 amps on the 50a breaker you should get about 9.6kw. Almost seems like you might be above 30 amps and 240 volts if you are getting 8kw. That should be closer to 7.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

yep I leave it at the 42a and it hasn't tripped the breaker. So 8kw is normal for 50A?
Sponsored