Sponsored

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Interesting (and what I would expect from 4 separately controlled motors), the wheels stopped when up in the air.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Great post. I'm not an off road enthusiast but that is impressive to me.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
@skyote note the cable danglies by the rear control arms have indeed been addressed.

Last edited:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Interesting (and what I would expect from 4 separately controlled motors), the wheels stopped when up in the air.
I wouldn't necessarily expect the wheels to stop spinning completely as that would imply the motors are being used to apply a reverse torque to prevent them from spinning freely which is slightly wasteful. Or perhaps they are appyling the mechanical brakes? I would certainly expect the motors to disengage in this scenario but am somewhat surprised the wheel doesn't continue to spin freely. Makes me wonder if they found a good reason to actually "brake" the lifted wheel or if this was done for customer perception (especially after all the comments about the tires spinning up in response to earlier AZ offroad videos).

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Love the amount of suspension travel from full droop to approaching full compression.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
For that terrain, that suspension looks SMOOTH!

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Electruck, could it be that the independent motors default to regen when no power is applied and without inertia that would stop the wheel and not be a waste of applying power at zero torque? Not sure if I stated that correctly. Just a thought based on principles I learned from reading other threads.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Electruck, could it be that the independent motors default to regen when no power is applied and without inertia that would stop the wheel and not be a waste of applying power at zero torque? Not sure if I stated that correctly. Just a thought based on principles I learned from reading other threads.
Whether default or driver setting, that's actually a really good theory.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Might even be that the truck is in an off road mode & knows it's going downhill. All wheels are probably in regen.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Is that a KS sticker?

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I wouldn't necessarily expect the wheels to stop spinning completely as that would imply the motors are being used to apply a reverse torque to prevent them from spinning freely which is slightly wasteful. Or perhaps they are appyling the mechanical brakes? I would certainly expect the motors to disengage in this scenario but am somewhat surprised the wheel doesn't continue to spin freely. Makes me wonder if they found a good reason to actually "brake" the lifted wheel or if this was done for customer perception (especially after all the comments about the tires spinning up in response to earlier AZ offroad videos).
Brake are applied (lights are on) until they get towards the bottom of the hill at the end of the clip.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

HDC (Hill Descent Control) is probably taking over every thing at this point where all it needs is steering input.
Sponsored