Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
From a video shot in downtown Bloomington. Not side by side unfortunately, so have to keep in mind the different distances/perspectives of the vehicles.

Screenshots

Rivian Video: Real life look at R1S vs Ram 1500, GMC Terrain, Chevy Suburban [@ downtown Bloomington] {filename}

Rivian Video: Real life look at R1S vs Ram 1500, GMC Terrain, Chevy Suburban [@ downtown Bloomington] {filename}

Hmm, that turn indicator again surrounding the stadium light shows up again, hoping it makes its way back to the end caps of the light bar.

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Second observation after breaking away from the trance inducing wrap... I notice that the headlights double as the turn signal (which look awesome). However, I believe in the states that there is a requirement that a portion of it be visible from the side. I thought that the light on the wheel well would also blink so that this requirement would be met but from the video that is not the case. I guess the light on the mirror serves that purpose? This makes me wonder what the purpose of those wheel well lights are...

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Sponsored

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I'm very happy about the size as well as how the blinker works. Nothing bothers me more than cars that shut off the Day Time Running lights to put on the blinker. I have no issue when the Day Time Running lights become the blinker.

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Not a fan of the change to the stadium light being the turn signal. I thought it looked better the other way.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Personally, I wish they kept that outer portion of the main LED light bar as the flashing turn-signal. Having that last foot or so flash yellow would be much more likely viewed or noticeable from the side turning into. Flashing the stadium lamp will not be visible at all from the sides.

Rivian R1T R1S Video: Real life look at R1S vs Ram 1500, GMC Terrain, Chevy Suburban [@ downtown Bloomington] Rivian LED side turn lamps.PNG

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Personally, I wish they kept that outer portion of the main LED light bar as the flashing turn-signal. Having that last foot or so flash yellow would be much more likely viewed or noticeable from the side turning into. Flashing the stadium lamp will not be visible at all from the sides.

This times 1000 and better explained my thoughts exactly.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE

I like the stadium lamp flashing. It looks more quirky.

In the prototypes they didn't have a side light on the fender, so they HAD to flash that part of the light bar to comply with DOT restrictions. Since they've now added a side light on the fender, they will likely use that as part of the turn signal.

Sponsored

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
I'm very happy about the size as well as how the blinker works. Nothing bothers me more than cars that shut off the Day Time Running lights to put on the blinker. I have no issue when the Day Time Running lights become the blinker.
I don't remember the exact details, but I think there is some law that says the day time running lights must go off when the turn signals are on. On the hand this could all be a dream. :)

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

While I would prefer this approach, there are turn signals in the mirrors which handle the side view.

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Actually, the standard isn’t that simple. You CAN have a DRL that remains on when the turn signal is on, if certain conditions are met.

It seems that Rivian would have complied with the first requirement using the old style, as the center of the turn signal was almost certainly at least 4“ (>100 mm) from the headlamp surround.

S7.10.10.1 Spacing to turn signal lamps. Each DRL not optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be located on the vehicle so that the distance from its lighted edge to the optical center of the nearest turn signal lamp is not less than 100 mm unless,

(a) The luminous intensity of the DRL is not more than 2,600 cd at any location in the beam and the turn signal lamp meets 2.5 times the base front turn signal photometric requirements, or

(b) The DRL is optically combined with a lower beam headlamp and the turn signal lamp meets 2.5 times the base front turn signal photometric requirements, or

(c) The DRL is deactivated when the turn signal or hazard warning signal lamp is activated.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Flashing the stadium lamp will not be visible at all from the sides.
There are also indicators on the side mirrors.
Sponsored