Sponsored

What trailer hitch are you guys using?

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
I was chatting with another member who said a 3" ball drop is about right, but what trailer hitch are you guys using? I understand we need one that might be a bit longer?

Any input would be awesome!
Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
A regular olā€™ hitch has worked just fine for me. Many folks have needed a longer hitch pin due to the width of the Rivian receiver. I simply took my old pin in Tractor Supply and selected a longer one.

OP
OP

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
A regular olā€™ hitch has worked just fine for me. Many folks have needed a longer hitch pin due to the width of the Rivian receiver. I simply took my old pin in Tractor Supply and selected a longer one.
Oh sweet, really? Great to know!!

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I guess that may change with a particular trailer, but with utility trailers I havenā€™t had an issue.

Sponsored

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Someone posted a link to an adjustable hitch at Costco, but I haven't used it yet.

Bobthebuilder352

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kubota
Occupation
Farmer
Iā€™ve got a Gen-Y Mega Duty and like it. Have all three balls plus pintle. Itā€™s adjustable drop which is what you want depending on the trailers youā€™re towing.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If space is not an issue, it is much cheaper to just have a bunch of different steel hitches then some fancy multi-purpose do dad. But I guess an 80,000 truck makes folks want to accessorize....
The horde of $80k+ ICE trucks confirm your accessorizing theory.

Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
This is dependent on the trailer height. You want it level or just ever so slightly tongue high.

If you have one trailer, measure hitch and trailer height flat and just buy a fixed config one at Walmart. $30. Easier to use too.

If you're towing different stuff all the time, buy a nice aluminum adjustable hitch. $200-300.

Skip the heavy weight distribution ones unless your trailer needs it. If so, buy a dedicated one for the trailer weight. This gets more complicated and I just advise you go to a towing or RV store for that as it doesn't sound like you'll be doing the install.

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Forgive the naĆÆve question but, doesn't this fancy truck lift itself up and down?
Wouldn't a straight (or 3" drop) hitch + changing ride heights also serve this purpose?

Unless you are towing a lifted trailer over some super rough roads and need to be at max lift...

Help me understand?

And yes, I can't test for myself yet, hopefully s000n...
Sponsored